Thread: Barrier Coating?

Default Barrier Coating?

So I made a yearly pilgrimage to Jamestown Distributors today and the people there are always friendly and helpful and they usually always have what I need. But today I think I got talked into a product that I do not want or need. I'm re-planking my carvel planked sailboat and I wanted to paint the frames and the inside of the planks, the old fashioned way was to use red lead paint but good luck finding that these days I've found. So I asked the guy what would be a good substitute for the red lead paint and he gets me Total Boat Epoxy Barrier coating? I have never used this stuff and everything I'm reading says it's for barrier coating a fiberglass hull. I'm looking for just a durable good paint for the frames, floors and planking so when I go to caulk the boat it comes out correctly. Any advice on whether or not to use this stuff would be greatly appreciated and what product I should use on bare frames and planking.
    Thanks.

Default Re: Barrier Coating?

I think that Kirby's still has red lead, not on the web site; you have to give them a call.
    Steve Martinsen

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Epoxy coating that is made for waterproofing the bottoms of FG boats/gelcoat replacement, is the best material in the world for priming and sealing wood.
    Red lead, shellac, thinned enamel , are all good, but not as good as epoxy barrier coat.

That said, the epoxy is a PITA to mix in small batches, the solvent smells REALLY bad, and you may wind up throwing away a lot of chip brushes.
    Coating the outside of your carvel hull with it will make a worm barrier, slow down the absorption of water (and slow down the drying),minimize electrolitic /corrosion potential and make a good primer for the anti fouling.
    Jamestown did not steer you wrong.

Current conventional wisdom confirms Wizbang's report above. I would add, however, that from a labor and cost perspective, barrier coat is a rather expensive and questionably necessary primer for inboard surfaces, given other available alternatives. To his list of alternatives, I'd also add CPES (Smith and Co.'s "Clear Penetrating Epoxy Sealer," not just "thinned epoxy.") although that is more costly than the others. (Red lead was traditionally used as a primer for no reason other than that it was the cheapest product available. There was never any other magic to it.)

On the exterior of a wooden hull below the waterline, barrier coating provides a mechanical barrier to marine borers which has become essential now that the truly effective biocides have been outlawed. Present-day anti-fouling paint is not much different than any other paint, now that it has been "dumbed down."

Don't be put off by the marketing that it is for FG boats, that is where the sales are. I recon for every gallon of barrier coat that a wood boat guy buys, about a thousand are used for gel coat repair/renew.
    I have not used Jamestown house brand, but I have used others, none have failed.
    bruce

Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    That said, the epoxy is a PITA to mix in small batches, the solvent smells REALLY bad.
    I have no problem with small batches of epoxy.

And there are no solvents in my shop.

And never throw chip brushes away. There is always a higher calling.
    Last edited by Mo 'Poxy; 08-06-2018 at 12:14 AM.

This

not this

needs a solvent.

I have two gallons of new-in-the-can ( from 2015) 2001E/ 2001E, available for the cost of shipping to whomsoever may want it.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

CPES is a pretty good substitute for red lead.

Thank you all for the input! It is greatly appreciated. I'm going to use the barrier coating on the tops and bottoms of the planks and on the outside of the planks, the inside of the planks I will use a primer just to try and save some money. On the frames I went with CPES and I'm really really really happy with it, it provided a good base for the plugs that I had to put into frames. I think barrier coating is the same as the Interlux that wiz posted just that it is made by Total Boat