Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Okiebobby
    • Oct 2013

Lifting cabin top construction thoughts/tips

I decided to keep my 1987 Rob Roy 23', but need to modify it some before it is the perfect boat for me. For those not familiar with the Rob Roy 23, it was designed by Ted Brewer to be a modern version of the British Humber canoe yawls that started to take shape just before the end of the 19th century.

I'd like to modify the cabin top to lift while camping overnight, similar to some Norfolk Broads yachts. I've searched the web unsuccessfully trying to find construction methods for the Broads yacht pop-tops. Anybody know of a link, pics, plans, or a book to assist me in this modification? Anybody chopped up their fiberglass cabin before, and can pass-on some tips?
  • navydog
    • Sep 2007

Re: Lifting cabin top construction thoughts/tips

You should look at how they do van conversions for pop tops. You could use an old VW pop-top mechanism. Bassicly 4 ex braces. Some of these just lift at one end.
    Seems to me the old Kells had pop up cabin tops as well.

Pop Top Roofs supply campervan roofs and seat beds to customers througout the UK. We have a wide range of roofs available to suit many types of camper van and we also offer a fitting/conversion service.
    Last edited by navydog; 08-01-2018, 09:32 PM.

Comment

• Peerie Maa
      Old Grey Inquisitive One
      • Oct 2008

Front hinged or lifting both ends?

This one uses wooden props pushing against the tension in the canvas.

after lifting it with the gaff halyards.
      It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
      The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Comment

• Okiebobby
        • Oct 2013

I'd like both ends to raise. I'm guessing some the front hinged coach roofs, will unpin and raise as well. It would be nice to see construction photos, but every photo helps. Thanks for the above photo's and links.

Currently, I'm thinking I could cut the existing cabin top. Add a wood frame around the bottom edge of the cut out section (the lifting section of the roof). Add a wood frame along the inner edge of stationary section of the cabin top. The throughway and drop board arrangements may get tricky.

Comment

• Peerie Maa
          Old Grey Inquisitive One
          • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Okiebobby
          I'd like both ends to raise. I'm guessing some the front hinged coach roofs, will unpin and raise as well. It would be nice to see construction photos, but every photo helps. Thanks for the above photo's and links.

Currently, I'm thinking I could cut the existing cabin top. Add a wood frame around the bottom edge of the cut out section (the lifting section of the roof). Add a wood frame along the inner edge of stationary section of the cabin top. The throughway and drop board arrangements may get tricky.
          You will need to consider keeping the rain out when you design your coamings.
          The last photo suggests a roll down canvas screen to bridge the gap between the companion weather board top edge and sliding hatch. It is probably laced to the side canvasses with lachets through grommets.
          It looks as though the props are pivoteded at the bottom end, stow horizontaly in clips, and are swung up into housings under the pop top to deploy.

Comment

• Jay Greer
            • Nov 2004

The schooner "Nelly Bly" had a telescoping deck house the was raised by a couple of halyards and then locked in place with trunnels. She was a lovely little boat that had no head room and needed that trick set up to give the much needed head room.
            Jay

Comment

• stromborg
              • Sep 2010

This?
              How much of the cabin top are you thinking of removing? I would be concerned about compromising the structure if too much is removed, with special consideration to how the mast is supported no what remains.

I have a VW Westfalia vanagon, the top is remarkably heavy for what is and there are some serious springs in the pop-up mechanism to assist with the lift.
              Steve

If you would have a good boat, be a good guy when you build her - honest, careful, patient, strong.
              H.A. Calahan

Comment

• jpatrick
                Measures twice/Cuts twice
                • Jun 2010

Chris Cunningham, editor of Small Boats Monthly, has built a barge like camping boat that has a pop up top. He's described it in SBM. I'm not remembering which issue.

Jeff

Comment

• Peerie Maa
                  Old Grey Inquisitive One
                  • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Okiebobby
                  I decided to keep my 1987 Rob Roy 23', but need to modify it some before it is the perfect boat for me. For those not familiar with the Rob Roy 23, it was designed by Ted Brewer to be a modern version of the British Humber canoe yawls that started to take shape just before the end of the 19th century.

I'd like to modify the cabin top to lift while camping overnight, similar to some Norfolk Broads yachts. I've searched the web unsuccessfully trying to find construction methods for the Broads yacht pop-tops. Anybody know of a link, pics, plans, or a book to assist me in this modification? Anybody chopped up their fiberglass cabin before, and can pass-on some tips?
                  Important question, what sort of water do you cruise in. Broads yachts are all on rivers and small lakes, no fetch to knock up big waves. If you cruise in anything rougher than that, be very careful with your design work.

Comment

• Okiebobby
                    • Oct 2013

I'm picturing the lifting top to be about 3' wide x by 6' long. Not real big, but will probably have some weight. Much smaller than the Broads yachts. I saw a training video on youtube for a much larger Broads yacht. I don't think springs were involved.

watch

Hopefully the above link works. I haven't learned the tricks to add pics and video on this forum yet. Sorry!
                    Last edited by Okiebobby; 08-09-2018, 08:14 PM.

Comment

• Okiebobby
                      • Oct 2013

Originally posted by Jay Greer
                      The schooner "Nelly Bly" had a telescoping deck house the was raised by a couple of halyards and then locked in place with trunnels. She was a lovely little boat that had no head room and needed that trick set up to give the much needed head room.
                      Jay
                      I would love to see this. If anybody knows of a link, please post it.

Comment

• Okiebobby
                        • Oct 2013

This is a fun video, plus it has some great shots of the Broads yachts lifting cabin tops. Oh, the British have some nice boats.

http://www.halcyonyachts.com/I recently had the pleasure of chartering one of the 4 berth cabin yachts from the famous Hunters Yard in Ludham. What might see...

The frame around these tops is just how I'm picturing the modification to Bilgewater. I am still having trouble picturing how to handle things at the companion way bulkhead. I guess there is no two ways around it, it will requiring some orthopedic and cosmetic surgery in this area. The results could make this boat look way more traditional; more wood, less plastic. Very exciting!

Comment

• Dave Hadfield
                          • Apr 2000

Look at a 90s vintage MacGregor 26. We sailed one for 9 seasons. The poptop was dead-simple, and never failed.

It converted a dark small tunnel into a tall, sunny room. In seconds.

There was a vinyl enclosure that slipped over the raised roof, with 4 lashing points. It needed a bit of modification to be mosquito proof, but then worked well.

Comment

• Breakaway
                            • Mar 2007

Cool idea. Some thoughts:

I would say build it like a hatch, with sides that overlap a coaming and that can be dogged down tight against a gasket.

For lifting, you could do it without any mechanism at all. Utilize removable corner posts that secure with wingnuts, or mount using keyhole fixtures, or opposing wedges, or etc: lift the top manually--or with a line from the mast. Then emplace the supports, drop the top on, and, finally, snap or Velcro on the canvas or bug screen all around.

Kevin
                            There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Comment

• coelcanth
                              • Aug 2016

here's a fellow that built a pretty nice but basic one for his volkswagen,
                              plywood + fiberglass
                              seems like it would translate to boat..

Comment

Working...