Thread: Small Schooner

Default Small Schooner

Interesting small schooner in the Wooden Boat Registry, for those that like that sort of thing.

https://www.woodenboat.com/register-...ats/felicity-5

Itís a Hendel design collaboration. He also had a hand in the very nice Maine Coast Class yawl design.

Default Re: Small Schooner

Very nice...

I like it! Nicely proportioned and she has a pretty sheer and tradtional look!
    I might mention that I am designing a 33' schooner for a client right now. I would prefer it to be a bit longer, 35'. But the boat is to be trailered.
    Jay

<Thread drift alert!>

Nice commission, Jay; what material/build method?
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

That is yet to be determined. We are still in the stages of choosing a hull form.
    Jay

It sure would be nice to be the proverbial fly on the wall as this progresses, if you, the client, and Scot are amenable.
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

It's a bit of a handful to sail alone, and yet the accommodations are really sized to be perfect for one person, or two at most for cruising. 18" of beam and a foot of draft would have solved the issue nicely IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiley Baggins View Post
    for those that like that sort of thing.
    here

Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Thank you! She is a Bill Garden, about 8.5 tons, 34' on deck and 45' sparred, 10' beam and 5' draft. Mahogany strip over relatively heavy oak frames. Deck is fir.

Her builder first launched her in 2015 and sailed for half a season. I came along in 2016 and bought her, finished her up and launched her, and sailed to current home port of jamestown, ri. I had a H28 prior and a concordia prior to that.

The challenges are: lots of coiling and trimming, very little deck space to tend so many sails, 29' feet of waterline with 45' of sail - so fore/aft sail balance is crucial. For instance, over 15 knots of wind on a broad reach with a full main up is very difficult as she wants to point upwind. Since jibing is a bit involved also, I tend to reef or douse the main whenever off the wind.

It's been harder to do "sheet to wheel" self-steering than sheet to tiller was, so tougher to get her self steering when I'm alone. Space below is pretty tight due to split houses, and a narrow and relatively shallow boat. Along with the challenges, she's a pleasure to sail and beautiful to look at. If someone was designing a small schooner, I would advise a bit more beam and draft in order to make her more comfortable with negligible effect on performance IMO. On a beam reach from cutty to dutch harbor jamestown a few weeks ago, with about 20 knots of wind, she averaged 8.1 knots with all lowers flying. With her forefoot somewhat cut away, she's pretty nimble - tacking and also moving around a harbor. I imagine many of the challenges are due to my inexperience as a schoonerman and are progressively getting easier. I mistakenly thought that she would be comparable to the similar size ketches and yawls that I've had and found that a gaff schooner and a marconi ketch are really far apart in many ways.

Interesting read Salty, sounds like a pretty good list of the challenges of a small schooner.

With that big main and small headsails, what is your strategy for going downwind? I imagine its hard to keep the headsails full.

A larger jib, something about 100 percent of the foretriangle, might help balance the boat on a broad reach and could be poled out for running deep, maybe after striking the foresail.

I haven't spent any time on a schooner of that size, but I have had similar problems with a ketch with headsails that were very similar proportions to yours.