Thread: Adding a sail to a skiff

Default Adding a sail to a skiff

I was given this 11' skiff that was never used. I'm trying to add a some sort of sailing system, I was planning on building a spritsail, but I really didn't want to build a sail and mast.
    I see many sunfish and other small sailboats for sale and cheap. How possible is it to simply use the sail, mast, centerboard, and rudder from one of these on my skiff?

Thanks.

MVIMG_20180716_120003.jpg
    MVIMG_20180716_182900.jpg
    MVIMG_20180716_182919.jpg

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Default Re: Adding a sail to a skiff

You know how to scull?
    That skill can be easily substituted , to great benefit, to steer a small boat like this, with an oar over the transom, that has such an extreme transom rake .
    One could modify a board ,or the topsides, to accept a leeboard, but I would lean towards a daggerboard or swing up cb (depending on local waters).
    That said, a temp leeboard will allow you to find where you and the boat like the board to be , vis a vis , fore n aft.
    Sunfish rig on there will be a blast! Keep the boom high!

Petropavlovsk-Kamchatskiy, Kamchatka, Russia

I think that 75sq.ft. of the Sunfish rig will be too much for this skiff for start. May be, Opti sprit sail will be better.
    Later you can add jib, remake sprit sail to gaff sail, etc.
    And I think, that daggerboard will be better, than leeboards.

I build 10' skiff-style cabin sailboat now, and it will rig as gaff sloop. Exactly author of this boat class in Russia recommend me to use the Opti sail plan for mainsail. And he is not so bad yacht designer)))
    So, my opinion for your boat is Opti sprit sail(may be, with flying jib)+daggerboard. And rudder on transom, of course)

The Optimist rig is pretty simple, and can be built from dowels of the right size. And the sail itself can be quite cheap.

http://www.intensitysails.com/clsaforopdi.html

Go ahead and use a daggerboard and build a rudder, it's not that hard and they will fit if you make them for the boat.

Take a look at Keep Turning Left. Someone needs to help me remember the name, Dylan.....?? His rigs are simple, steers with an oar, no cb or lee board, but he sails all over with his rig, not so very different from your skiff. The hard chine helps with lateral resistance, makes a pretty good sailor. Might work...

Welcome aboard!
    Keep looking at hard chine sailing designs, you'll have plenty of ideas. Look at Atkins boat designs, plenty of skiffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldad View Post
    Take a look at Keep Turning Left. Someone needs to help me remember the name, Dylan.....?? His rigs are simple, steers with an oar, no cb or lee board, but he sails all over with his rig, not so very different from your skiff. The hard chine helps with lateral resistance, makes a pretty good sailor. Might work...
    Dylan Winter. I've sailed relying on the chine for latteral plane, it doesn't work all that well. Even the vids of boats with chine runners show a lot of leeway.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Quote Originally Posted by johnw View Post
    Dylan Winter. I've sailed relying on the chine for latteral plane, it doesn't work all that well. Even the vids of boats with chine runners show a lot of leeway.
    Sculling while sailing upwind..that "lateral plane " werks jusfine.. up to an hour or so. Is Dylan activly sculling upwind , or saildrifting downwind? He's making cool videos, but , uh , c'mon.

If I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, eventually they would find me attractive.