Thread: 12 ft Skiff Advice Please

Default 12 ft Skiff Advice Please

I'm trying to decide between the Summer Breeze and Hannu's 12 ft skiff. I would like to run it with a small trolling motor. I was wondering if anyone could help me with the pro's and con's of each. I'm looking for the best stability also. I'm not interested in the sailboat factor of the summer breeze. I've considered Payson's Pointy Skiff also, but I'd prefer 12 ft.

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: 12 ft Skiff Advice Please

I've considered the Summer Breeze and have re-drawn the plans to reduce the rocker in the rear half and increase the width of the transom. The cardboard model looks good to my un-trained eye but I do not know how it might perform. I read the pages about "30 Grit", a modified Summer Breeze built as a fishing skiff. That website no longer exists and searches for "30 Grit" come up empty.

Quote Originally Posted by coreywms View Post
    I'm trying to decide between the Summer Breeze and Hannu's 12 ft skiff. I would like to run it with a small trolling motor. I was wondering if anyone could help me with the pro's and con's of each. I'm looking for the best stability also. I'm not interested in the sailboat factor of the summer breeze. I've considered Payson's Pointy Skiff also, but I'd prefer 12 ft.

Thanks in advance.

I built a Summer Breeze. Its not a powerboat, and the severe rocker which gives it some more displacement and easier rowing sailing, makes it squat with a motor. You can use it as a quiet water powerboat, but for beyond the creek or pond, I d choose a different design.

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Default Re: 12 ft Skiff Advice Please

Thanks for the responses. I read that the 30 grit wasn't too stable. So I'll rule out the summer breeze for my needs. I guess I'll try Hannu's or the Pointy Skiff. The Pointy skiffs plans gives me a slight headache though with 1 2 3 type measurements.