Thread: Cetol questions

Default Cetol questions

It seems like some of the information I find about Cetol is sparse and incomplete. Apparently it holds up better than varnish , but may not look quite as good . Since it has been available for a while , I was looking for opinions on how it has held up over time? I have two other concerns. One is, do maintenance coats muddy the look at all compared to the original
    coat ? Secondly, when the time comes to remove it , how does that compare to varnish like Epifane? Also I'm looking for opinions on Cetols appearance. I know the original was very orange. I've seen that and it is just plain gross . I've read that they have a teak, followed by a gloss that is supposed to look pretty good.

Default Re: Cetol questions

It isn't as nice as varnish, but its extremely easy to maintain by washing it or very light sanding and then overcoating or touching up. I would categorise it as a 10 ft varnish job as opposed to a full on varnish or Uroxsys type high gloss .
    The early stuff got a reputation for 'orange' but it doesn't need to be . The hardware outlet stuff is exactly the same as the 'marine' as far as I know so save some dollars. They also tend to have small test pots so you can try out the colour before buying a litre or two.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Pretty much a Yes to all of the above.
    I think a lot of the "muddy"look is from folks not cleaning years old Cetol before adding coats. I mean , at least give it a wet sanding to get the dirt out of the surface.
    Cetol instructions speak to how it needs little or no sanding.between coats, and folks will take this too literally.
    It definatelyposatively holds up better than varnish.
    The original orange is what I use, but I am using it mostly on fir. On mahog or teak...the "teak" flavor has less pigment. I think of Cetol as "make up".
    I strip it with a disc sander. That said. "disc sanding" is not one thing. Specifically, I use aprox 2000 rpm /36 grit on a 3M soft pad. One wants to "throw it off" without letting it get hot, which gums up the disc, but not damage the wood.
    Appearance ...new varnish looks better than new Cetol. 10 year old Cetol looks better than 10 year old varnish.
    just for kicks n giggles, my outboard cover is "orange" cetol over white paint.

..aaaand full disclosure, I'm a big fan of cetol. Varnish is for folks who would put a butterfly hatch on a seaboat or a clipper bow on a small vessel,imo.

If you love varnish, use varnish. If you love sailing, use cetol.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    If you love varnish, use varnish. If you love sailing, use cetol.
    Candidate for quote of the week!
    There is nothing quite as permanent as a good temporary repair.

This mahogany door is south facing and gets full sun for at least half each year. Cetol Window and Door finish is over 20 years old and recoated every few years. No, its not as bright as the varnish I had on it for the first few years but after one season of each, it far better looking.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Tom L

Something seems counterintuitive about the Cetols two-part system . The glosss finish has no UV filters, yet it is used to protect the underlying finishes which have UV filters . Common sense would tell me since the gloss finish is exposed , it would break down . But from what I hear , for some reason it holds up well . At least that is what I read on the inter-web .