Thread: Painting End Grain

Default Painting End Grain

Wandering Star's hatch coamings are simply built, with four ends showing on each. Soaks up paint, but it doesn't last as long as the sides. They also check. Any suggestions for filling and sealing? I'm hesitant to use anything hard (epoxy) for fear it will deepen the checks and trap water and dirt.

Default Re: Painting End Grain

I'd soak in as much thinned paint as you can stand to do first. Get really up that endgrain. Then use something like the Interlux Surfacing Putty. After that cures and you finish sand it will hold most any sort of paint.

Thank you.

Shellac is a fast drying and cheap sealer for engrain as well as wood in general.
    Jay

I'm not certain if a soft or hard wood is being used but a sealing coat of 3 Lb. cut shellac for a soft wood should work and or 2 Lb. for hardwood. Rustoleum Bulls Eye should still be a dewaxed 3lb cut and http://sevenspaint.com/docs/tds/Zin%...%20shellac.pdf should provide a guide for a 2 lb cut.
    Dan

Epoxy will seep into the checks and cracks and will not deepen the checks.

Have you ever seen anything that suggests it causes deeper checks?

Super glue will fill the checks, you will have to use a quick cure aerosol spray to get it to harden.
    It sands well. Don't use the regular really thin stuff or it will never fill the check.

Shellac is good, or I have come to like Minwax “wood hardner” for such things. It is like a water thin clear sealer that really soaks deeply into (particularly) end grain. It soaks in about as far and fast as acetone. It seems to really slow or stop water absorption of wood.

I've had no good luck with shelac as an actual primer, though it is nice for sealing end grain on drying fletches. Mu ch as I love epoxy, I'd not load it just there unless I planned to seal all around with CPES.

The suggestion of shellac is interesting. While scraping the bulwarks I noticed that much of the wood has some kind of translucent yellow sealer under the paint. Could be varnish, but I think it's shellac.

Shellac was used as a general sealer as well as a bonding agent for double planking prior to the new age of boat building that followed WWII.
    The material is best cut with denatured alcohol for the first coat and then followed with a full strength coat of Bulls Eye Amber. Even more economical is to make your own using orange flakes that are dissolved in a mason jar with alcohol. Flake shellac is readily available on line.
    Jay

Shellac. I use it and like it, especially when doing restoration on an older wooden boat.

Following this!