Thread: Nature's Head--Excellent Customer Service

Default Nature's Head--Excellent Customer Service

I have had a Nature's Head composting toilet on the boat for more than 5 years. Bought it at a discount from a guy who used to be a dealer.

The only moving part is a computer fan, which I noticed has stopped working. I did some testing and the fan is dead

Yesterday, Sunday, I emailed the company about a replacment. This morning at 0530 I got word that Nature's Head was sending me two fans at no cost.

I am very impressed with the customer service. Impressed with the toilet as well. As for the fan, it ran without stop for more than 5 year. Pretty impressive for a cheap little part
    Elect a clown expect a circus

Default Re: Nature's Head--Excellent Customer Service

My Air Head had a fan issue and that guy (who taught the Nature's Head guy) sent me a new one. Still, I find it worth while to have a day/night solar/battery vent rather than that little computer fan.

The bit about no coffee filters is a good one. Except it turns out that you don't actually need a coffee filter in the AirHead. So far as I can tell, they are both good products and which you choose is y our call, not actually objective. Except to say that I bought mine at the 2002 Maine Boatbuilders Show and in sixteen years of live-aboard use it's yet to give me any trouble. It has given some of my friends a lot of great tomatoes and (for my more squeemish friends) ornamental flowers.

I think if more people were around composting toilets, composting toilets would be more popular. They just work without any smells, any issues, and take up a lot less space than a head and a holding tank.

Couldn't agree more about composting toilets. Used one for many years at my shed, and when the boat is finished (which it very nearly is) the same will continue to be used aboard. My original inspiration to go down this path was the humanure handbook, an entertaining read and free to download here https://humanurehandbook.com/downloads/H2.pdf

Quick question for you guys with first hand experience. I'm considering installing a Nature's Head in a new build and need to think about other air circulation issues. If the head is in a compartment AND I have a separate solar vent in the head, will the solar vent pull so much air that their will be a back pressure and pull air the wrong way through the head?

I'm considering whether to leave out the solar vent in the head compartment. I suppose leaving the head door open would alleviate that problem, but since you have expertise with these units I thought I'd ask.

Thanks,

I piped the AirHead exhaust hose to the solar vent set to exhaust. That way it draws air from accomodation through the AirHead and out. One vent does you.

Been using a Natures Head in our Albin-25 for 8 years. No negative issues at all. Wife likes it much more than the Sani-Potty we had for years on our Shearwater yawl. Also got the same 2-fans-for-free deal when the original crapped out. We have a spare urine jug for switching out a full one on a cruise. Nothing against the Mansfield Sani-Potty brand; she would have had the same issues with Thetford or any of the other "blue liquid flush" self-contained pottys. Our Albin came to us with an uninstalled traditional marine head and I did not want to go that direction. I believe the long-time original owner used a blue-liquid potty, and it was the second owner (our DPO) who planned to install the marine head but just never got around to it.

Note to BKay: I believe having two exhausts would just localize the exhaust air somewhat, but not cause any negative "backpressure issues. The Natures Head fan is not moving a lot of air; it just keeps a little air moving past the waste to the outside.

So how long did your original fan last?

At least two years, maybe three, don't remember for sure. I switch it to 120V plug-in power from our garage when parked at home between cruises, so it's running a lot of hours through the summer.
    Last edited by Nicholas Scheuer; 08-02-2018 at 03:01 PM.

Nicholas and Ian, thanks for the comments.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian McColgin View Post
    I piped the AirHead exhaust hose to the solar vent set to exhaust. That way it draws air from accomodation through the AirHead and out. One vent does you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Scheuer View Post
    Been using a Natures Head in our Albin-25 for 8 years. No negative issues at all. Wife likes it much more than the Sani-Potty we had for years on our Shearwater yawl. Also got the same 2-fans-for-free deal when the original crapped out. We have a spare urine jug for switching out a full one on a cruise. Nothing against the Mansfield Sani-Potty brand; she would have had the same issues with Thetford or any of the other "blue liquid flush" self-contained pottys. Our Albin came to us with an uninstalled traditional marine head and I did not want to go that direction. I believe the long-time original owner used a blue-liquid potty, and it was the second owner (our DPO) who planned to install the marine head but just never got around to it.

Note to BKay: I believe having two exhausts would just localize the exhaust air somewhat, but not cause any negative "backpressure issues. The Natures Head fan is not moving a lot of air; it just keeps a little air moving past the waste to the outside.
    What is the head like when the fan is off? I am thinking of doing a exhaust coupling that vents only when the boat is not is use, at dock or at anchor which is 98% of time. Do you have thoughts on this?
    Be wary of your critics, at peace with your decisions, and work hard to be a better man.

I noted that there is slight odor, not offensive, when the fan is not running. Not sure why you would not want a fan when you're on the boat.

You want the fan running all day all night you're there or not. The supplied fan draws so little than you can leave the boat for a month and have plenty of battery - assuming you're not also running a bilge pump for a leaky boat. And if you spend a bit for a day/night solar unit (runs off internal battery at night) you've got it nackered.