Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2018 Golden Globe Race

Default Re: 2018 Golden Globe Race

Wasn't Gregor essentially ordered off - if he stayed and got in trouble he'd be charged with "recklessness" ?? Certainly looks under good control.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian McColgin View Post
    Wasn't Gregor essentially ordered off - if he stayed and got in trouble he'd be charged with "recklessness" ?? Certainly looks under good control.
    Yeah I wondered but don’t know for sure. The organizers in their press release used words like “he requested” and “we support his decision” so maybe it was his call. It also sounded like he was pretty shaken.

As to the Indian Navy conmmiting their resources to attempt a salvage of Tomy’s boat. Right I also doubt the US Navy would do this either J.Madison. But I am not sure it’s an apples to apples comparison. I don’t know who funded the build of the boat. But my feeling is that it might of been the Navy or government, as a national campaign.
    "Yeah, well, that's just, like your opinion man"
    -The Dude-

I don't think he was ordered off. I think I read that he decided that it would be more prudent to go with the rescuers as they were already there rather than take the risk of calling them out again if his jury rig failed, as his engine was also kaput by then.

Rick
    Last edited by RFNK; 09-27-2018 at 08:49 AM.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

These may not be race boats, but they are still racing.
    How many racers will lay ahull in 40 knots o breeze and read a book?
    I've often said that my boats( 34' venus ketch) best point of sail is "no sail".
    It's what she does best. No sea anchor or drogue. She slowly moves forward on a close reach.
    What kind of modern "plumbing" do these boats use for spars?
    (i should a put this on the rant thread)

Quote Originally Posted by skaraborgcraft View Post
    Trying to make a rig strong enough to survive impact of water when sails are set would make for overly heavy rig, if not built from exotics. .
    Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    These may not be race boats, but they are still racing.
    How many racers will lay ahull in 40 knots o breeze and read a book?
    I've often said that my boats( 34' venus ketch) best point of sail is "no sail".
    It's what she does best. No sea anchor or drogue. She slowly moves forward on a close reach.
    What kind of modern "plumbing" do these boats use for spars?
    (i should a put this on the rant thread)

I believe I have my facts correct here, Moitessier had telephone poles for masts.

Nice to here that Venus does great under poles. Another nod to ketches as open ocean rigs. Maybe not the fastest or highest pointers, but practical and good steerage. Feel free to correct me here Bruce.
    Last edited by Matt young; 09-27-2018 at 04:58 PM.
    -The Dude-

I think it has more to do with my boats hull shape, than the rig. Heavy, true double ender (not canoe stern). Although I feel pretty good about solid pole spars.
    Boats with overhangs get in trouble in severe weather, especially long transoms.

I think it was a bit more than 40 knots. This boat is a double ender yeah? but the opening message says she was built light. I wonder if there building light to make her faster ended in her downfall. ???

Oh fer sure they had more than 40.
    I AM the guy who surrenders early to the sea to save wear and tear and for safety. Racers do not.
    I am suggesting that PUSHING the boat, ANY boat, is what makes them unsafe,(assuming one has sea room).

I've never been in more than 40. Plenty of 30. I'm just trying to understand so that if ever I end up in 60-70 knots I have some sort of plan.. I'm thinking seat belt/Harness in the bunk so if you do get rolled it lessens the chance of an injury such as the Indian gentleman suffered.
    Good to see him safe!

Wow - those pictures look insane - that book is coming along nicely....

Quote Originally Posted by pelagos View Post
    and 0 weather routing/support to avoid weather systems allowed, even if the boats were fast enough to get out of the way. The indian navy got a photo of the boat
    I dunno how he did not lose the bowsprit. Look at how poorly it is attached in the first pic in post #1. Got a bolt going THROUGH the sampson post and a big hole in the middle for the stem to pass through. And no mainstay that I can see.(stay going to the stem itself)

" I'm thinking seat belt/Harness in the bunk so if you do get rolled it lessens the chance of an injury such as the Indian gentleman suffered." [#44]

Good to have something in mind. One excellent off-shore book I was reading says "Think inverted!" Like where will the batteries end up if they are not properly secured?

What will open up. In the days after his rollover, Sir Francis Chichester faced a growing stench that took him a week to track down. It appears that as Gipsy Moth IV went inverted, the hinged floorboards in the sole flopped open and a bottle of particularly stinky vitamins (E perhaps?) shattered into the bilge. As Gipsy Moth came up, the floorboards flopped shut again, leaving the vitamins to dissolve in secret.

Chichester had to reconstruct the events the day after as he cleaned up because he had strapped himself in his berth with a bottle of rum. He was very lucky. A heavy vice (I think it was) had flown from it's locker with Gipsy Moth knocked down. The morning after he found the thing in his berth next to his head and there was a big impact dent in the overhead right above. Could have been a far worse headache.

G'luck

In my only knockdown, bird seed went into the bilge. What a stinky mess that was about 6 days later!

Meanwhile the leader of the race Jean-Luc Van Den Heede is moving right along. Well ahead of the rest, who are stuck in low wind zones. At 73 Jean-Luc is an inspiration for what is possible. The ETA referred to below is for a required film drop in Tasmania.

In a satellite call to Race HQ today, the 73-year old Frenchman reported: "All Good, had a good week and good winds. Since this morning i have had 15 knot headwinds from the SE so am close hauled, and can't go more south at the moment. No major nor minor probleme. ETA: 3 - 4 days depending on the wind direction changing soon or not."
    -The Dude-

Quote Originally Posted by Matt young View Post
    Meanwhile the leader of the race Jean-Luc Van Den Heede is moving right along. Well ahead of the rest, who are stuck in low wind zones. At 73 Jean-Luc is an inspiration for what is possible. The ETA referred to below is for a required film drop in Tasmania.

In a satellite call to Race HQ today, the 73-year old Frenchman reported: "All Good, had a good week and good winds. Since this morning i have had 15 knot headwinds from the SE so am close hauled, and can't go more south at the moment. No major nor minor probleme. ETA: 3 - 4 days depending on the wind direction changing soon or not."

Looks like he has now been there, done that thing, and got the T shirt:

IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Well my wooden horse is out of the race. But I have enjoyed this non-the-less. It has been a hard go, down to 5 competitors. I was really into Jean-Luc. He he ran away with the race early on, got pitchpolled, and the was able to get the rig back together. Impressive! But he lost me when he said he was moving to Chichester class, called his wife(not allowed in first class), and then asked to be put back in first class. With a 18 hour penalty, whitch at that time he was 1,500 miles ahead so not a big deal. I wonder what the opinions on this are here? But now as he is slowed down a bit, Mark Slats just might catch him as they battle up the Atlantic. If he does, it will be quite a catch-up. This will be good to watch.

And I was really excited about Suise Goodall’s work, she was charging along just fine through some tough conditions. Then she also got pitchpolled and her boat done in. Very happy she is fine!
    -The Dude-

Quote Originally Posted by Matt young View Post
    Well my wooden horse is out of the race. But I have enjoyed this non-the-less. It has been a hard go, down to 5 competitors. I was really into Jean-Luc. He he ran away with the race early on, got pitchpolled, and the was able to get the rig back together. Impressive! But he lost me when he said he was moving to Chichester class, called his wife(not allowed in first class), and then asked to be put back in first class. With a 18 hour penalty, whitch at that time he was 1,500 miles ahead so not a big deal. I wonder what the opinions on this are here? But now as he is slowed down a bit, Mark Slats just might catch him as they battle up the Atlantic. If he does, it will be quite a catch-up. This will be good to watch.

And I was really excited about Suise Goodall’s work, she was charging along just fine through some tough conditions. Then she also got pitchpolled and her boat done in. Very happy she is fine!
    Yea, It seems to me that a phone call is such an arbitrary violation. I don't understand why it would be a disqualifying action. But, I suppose there are reasons and rules are rules.
    It certainly does not diminish what he, and all the participants, have, and are, doing.