Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2018 Golden Globe Race

Default 2018 Golden Globe Race

I just finished reading “The Long Way” by Moitessier. Very interesting. Great descriptive writing, and a beautiful take on sailing. But man the French and their busy brains sometimes!

That got got me looking at the current and in progress retro version of the race. I didn’t know the Sir Robert Knox-Johnston’s boat was an Atkin’s Eric. And there is a new version of this design racing, skippered by Abhilash Tomy. This time in wood composite. Pretty cool!

https://goldengloberace.com/skipper/abhilash-tom/

To celebrate India’s heritage in building famous singlehanded yachts in the past (Suhaili and Lively Lady spring to mind) Abhilash will be racing a replica of Sir Robin Knox-Johnston’s original winner. Work began at the Aquarius shipyard on Goa in 2016, not with the rudimentary adze, bow drill and hand saw that shaped Suhaili in a Bombay shipyard five decades before, but with the latest CAD design and CNC cutting machinery to produce a much lighter wood epoxy composite replica. Thuriya was launched in August 2017 and Cdr.Tomy has been conducting sea trials in the Indian Ocean prior to shipping the yacht to Europe in March 2018.

D053678F-B7A5-47EC-BF3D-CCE1A7289FE4.jpg
    Last edited by Matt young; 08-16-2018 at 07:21 PM.
    "Yeah, well, that's just, like your opinion man"
    -The Dude-

Default Re: 2018 Golden Globe Race

This race is going on right now; is anyone watching it? There is no chatter.
    https://goldengloberace.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Matt young View Post
    I just finished reading “The Long Way” by Moitessier. Very interesting. Great descriptive writing, and a beautiful take on sailing. But man the French and their busy brains sometimes!

That got got me looking at the current and in progress retro version of the race. I didn’t know the Sir Robert Knox-Johnston’s boat was an Atkin’s Eric. And there is a new version of this design racing, skippered by Abhilash Tony. This time in wood composite. Pretty cool!

https://goldengloberace.com/skipper/abhilash-tom/

To celebrate India’s heritage in building famous singlehanded yachts in the past (Suhaili and Lively Lady spring to mind) Abhilash will be racing a replica of Sir Robin Knox-Johnston’s original winner. Work began at the Aquarius shipyard on Goa in 2016, not with the rudimentary adze, bow drill and hand saw that shaped Suhaili in a Bombay shipyard five decades before, but with the latest CAD design and CNC cutting machinery to produce a much lighter wood epoxy composite replica. Thuriya was launched in August 2017 and Cdr.Tomy has been conducting sea trials in the Indian Ocean prior to shipping the yacht to Europe in March 2018.

D053678F-B7A5-47EC-BF3D-CCE1A7289FE4.jpg
    I'm pretty sure there are Joshua replicas in the race too.

I think it would be a fantastic race to be part of but I found it a bit boring to follow - probably a criticism of me rather than the race!

Rick

PS Apparently there aren't any Joshua replicas in this race. They're to be included in the 2022 race. Along with some more (?) Suhaili replicas.
    Last edited by RFNK; 08-08-2018 at 08:04 PM.

Rustler 36s currently in 4 of the top 5 places, with the prettiest boat in the race, an S&S 36, in 4th. It's a pity Kim Holman isn't around anymore to see this.

Rick

Yeah not the most short term exciting race to follow, but I do enjoy that I don't have to check in but once a week. That makes it easy to watch. A number of dropouts right off. I don't know if they did it, but I heard that they were going to have the original Joshua and Suhaili be the starting line. If so, that is great.
    -The Dude-

Below is the opinion of the person who handles the minimal sat-phone check in with the sailors. No issues reported, while there has been a number of issues with other boats.

TOMY
    ..Is enjoying the experience with total passion. He is confident in himself and his boat which is in good shape, no issues reported. He was born to do this again. He is having fun, always smiling and apart from hitting something last night is sailing very well. The isolation is NOT worrying him. 96%
    -The Dude-

Down to ten boats and skippers from 17 at the start, and just rounding Africa. Tomy could do well by just having a boat that doesn’t break too much, hopefully. It is impressive that his Eric hit something “big” and is just fine. A testament to modern wood composite construction.
    -The Dude-

Tomy is doing well, headed into the Southern Ocean. Here he is with the Sir Man himself.

519FB20C-E80E-4950-93EB-7B35BF7B7CC3.jpeg
    -The Dude-

Very bad news on Tomy -- https://www.news.com.au/national/aus...8495b7a5af7130

Injured, dismasted, authorities unable to make contact currently

Yes very sad and worrying.
    He and Gregor where rolled and dismasted. I looks like a rescue has been launched. Gregor is somewhat close but has had to hold up and wait for the the storm to pass, then might be able to motor to Tomy’s position after he sorts his boat out, his masts and rig has been cut loose. Don’t know if Tomy’s mast was cut loose or not. In is one message he said severe back pain can’t move.
    -The Dude-

They have recived new text messages. From Tomy and the flowing update on Gregor.

UNABLE 2 LEAVEBUNK.WILLTRY2CHECKPHONEANDMASTBYDAY Position: 39′ 26.323 S 077′ 29.848 E at 21 Sep 22:44 UTC
    BACK IS EXTREMELY STIFF.DIFFICULT TO. EPIRB AND EXACT SITUATION Position: 39′ 26.298 S 077′ 29.862 E at 21 Sep 22:47 UTC

Activated EPIRB. Extremely difficult to walk, Might need stretcher, can’t walk, thanks safe inside the boat, Unable to reach 2nd YB3 or anything. Sat phone down.”

GGR Entrant UKU RANDMAA is 400 miles west and is heading to the area and will also meet with GREGOR who was also dismasted. He will take about three days to reach the site. On the sat phone today Gregor confirmed he is making repairs to his boat and hopes to be able to make way under power toward Tomy. His windvane was damaged when the mast fell down, so he must hand steer now. The Rudder is making strange noises but it seems OK. He is 100 miles to the South West of Tomy and it will take at least one day travelling IF the weather allows. He is not at this time sure when he may get underway.AT 0530 UTC we recieved the following message from GREGOR ..JURY RIG SET.AIMING TO GET FURTHER NORTH

-The Dude-

That's good to hear, they must have been hit by extremely bad weather, considering that's three boats that have been heavily damaged

One wonders whether the high casualty rate in this race may perhaps indicate that old boats are not actually much more seaworthy than new ones. Obviously the motivations, boat sizes and budgets are different to those of the major "pro" races, but that may cut both ways - people in boats without sponsors to please may not push as hard, but the damage rate is still high.

Best of wishes to all involved.

Probably more a case of just encountering a more active series of larger weather systems.

and 0 weather routing/support to avoid weather systems allowed, even if the boats were fast enough to get out of the way. The indian navy got a photo of the boat

Surely there's very little probability that the GG boats are encountering worse weather than the Open 60s that have raced in that area every couple of years over the past couple of decades? After all, the skippers have been getting injured and boats dismasted since they sailed in the area of Cape Town about a month ago so it's not just a single front that's causing the damage.

Yes, there's no routing allowed but we're still talking about a very high casualty rate. And I don't think the early races in Open 60s allowed routing yet their casualty rate was no higher, if I recall correctly.

On another note, that Suhaili replica seems to have been performing extremely well until this sad incident.

While weather routing does make more sense for high tech fast moving racing yachts, the reality in a slower more traditional vessel is quite different.
    Frequently these systems can be up to a 800 nm wide and from my experience it makes more sense to maintain an approximate compass heading traveling in the desired direction.

I was watching that monster low pressure system build, and being glad i was tracking it on a laptop at home, and not watching it chase me from the cabin of a small boat in the Southern Ocean, not that they have that luxuery in the GGR.
    It seems rudders and windvane systems have failed, and now rigs being lost when the boats have rolled. Trying to make a rig strong enough to survive impact of water when sails are set would make for overly heavy rig, if not built from exotics. I think the rudder failures are down to heavy boats have more inertia when rolling than a lighter,beamier boat. A single handed boat might have the tiller lashed off, and may not always have someone on the tiller to bring the transom inline with breaking seas.
    I hope Tommy gets off ok, sounds like he is in pain and in a tight spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris249 View Post
    Surely there's very little probability that the GG boats are encountering worse weather than the Open 60s that have raced in that area every couple of years over the past couple of decades? After all, the skippers have been getting injured and boats dismasted since they sailed in the area of Cape Town about a month ago so it's not just a single front that's causing the damage.

Yes, there's no routing allowed but we're still talking about a very high casualty rate. And I don't think the early races in Open 60s allowed routing yet their casualty rate was no higher, if I recall correctly.
    traditionally these full keel, larger, displacement fiberglass boats have been considered the safest for cruising long distance though right? It does seem like a lot of failures, but I guess they may be in a better position so far then some of the guys in the Vendee Globe 1997, which sticks in my memory as being fairly calamitous overall.

I too hope Tomy gets off the boat OK, he does sound rough. I was happy to see those messages after his first one. And yeah I was watching that low too it was something. I think it was just timing and big as waves that got Tomy and Gregor. The leader of the race was a whole system ahead and has been cruising on through.

I was curious about all the rudder and self stearing failures early on. Would like to hear more about those causes. I like that the race required the skippers to be able to hoist a jury rig if needed. And that is what Gregor has done and is sailing to Tomy now. So his boat is still sound.?? Maybe Tomy would of done the same thing if he hadn’t been injured. His boat seams to be in decent shape, not counting the mast. She has stayed upright through that storm even with the rig draging.
    Last edited by Matt young; 09-23-2018 at 09:55 PM.
    -The Dude-

https://goldengloberace.com/day-85-rescue-update/

So, Tony now on board a French fisheries vessel and McGuckin heading to the rescue site where he will also abandon ship. What a shame for both of them but good to see them both relatively safe.

Rick

She really is an Eric !
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

excellent. great news
    'C'est la vie' say the old folks it goes to show you never can tell

Both sailors aboard the French boat now:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-09-2...scues/10301848

Rick

It is great that they are both rescued!
    -The Dude-

Quote Originally Posted by pelagos View Post
    traditionally these full keel, larger, displacement fiberglass boats have been considered the safest for cruising long distance though right? It does seem like a lot of failures, but I guess they may be in a better position so far then some of the guys in the Vendee Globe 1997, which sticks in my memory as being fairly calamitous overall.
    I think it depends on who you are asking. I know enormously experienced offshore racing sailors who reckon many of the modern racing boats are as safe as the older designs.

Some people point to races like the '79 Fastnet as proof that boats of that time were unseaworthy, but if you actually examine that race in detail that conclusion appears dubious. Arguably, one or two people picked out one boat in which people died (through issues related to gear stowage etc) and then concentrated on one aspect of its design and claimed it was proof of lack of seaworthiness. They then excused deaths from older designs on the basis that they were caused by safety harness failure, which IMHO is no more relevant than the gear-related incidents that caused deaths on the newer boats. The overall safety record of newer boats in that race, compared to older ones, can be seen to be similar.

Similarly, in the '98 Sydney to Hobart there were about four "traditional" boats in the fleet. Two sank, one with the loss of several lives. Two of the late '60s designs rolled or inverted and the roll/inversion rate of the older style boats was similar to that of the newer ones. So if we look at the incidents where a large fleet of boats has hit the same weather at the same time and place, we don't seem to see any evidence that the older boats are actually safer.

There were six or seven finishers in the '97 Vendee, and ten DNFs. So far this race is only halfway and it seems it could get the same sort of failure rate by the finish.

I remember reading somewhere that something like 90% of the boats that survived the fastnet race actually hove to through the worst of it which he was arguing that's why they survived. The majority of boats that tried to sail on or run got rolled. I will try and find the article.
    I do wonder on the logic of building an old design light weight timber composite though?
    Its a savage sight to see both mast ripped out. Glad both sailors are safely retrieved.

The extreme storm conditions that where described would test any small to medium sized sailing vessel.

Heaving to in heavely breaking and confused seas will also result in knock downs with eventual possibility of loosing the rig.
    I would not even consider running with warps ,and while I have have spent a huge day hand steering a Contessa 32 in breaking seas dissecting the breakers head on at about 10 to 15 degrees, I believe in those conditions that strategy would also have a strong likelihood of going pear shaped sooner or later.

Which only leaves lying to a sea anchor which would have been my choice given the conditions described.

What is the opinion of experienced members here on using a Jordan Series drouge in a heavy weather situation like this?
    -The Dude-

Quote Originally Posted by Geftb View Post
    I remember reading somewhere that something like 90% of the boats that survived the fastnet race actually hove to through the worst of it which he was arguing that's why they survived. The majority of boats that tried to sail on or run got rolled. I will try and find the article.
    I do wonder on the logic of building an old design light weight timber composite though?
    Its a savage sight to see both mast ripped out. Glad both sailors are safely retrieved.
    The Fastnet enquiry found the opposite. They found that most boats kept the helm manned and many of those that did not felt, with hindsight, they should have. The enquiry noted that there was no magic bullet but that "active rather than passive techniques were successful and that those who were able to maintain some speed and directional control faired better" - see par 4.14, page 36.

The team who won the Admiral's Cup through excellent positions in that race and later did public lectures down here said that the boats that hove to often got rolled, and those that fore-reached often came through happily. They were rather critical of the fact that the rules didn't require both storm trysail and storm jib, which they felt meant that some boats lacked proper balance. Boats like Impetuous (fifth overall) and Police Car (seventh) kept on fore-reaching and certainly never hove to, and they strongly recommended the former tactic. It may of course vary with design, crew and conditions.
    Last edited by Chris249; 09-26-2018 at 07:00 AM.

No single storm tactic works for all boats in all storms.

I helped a friend with the tedium of making a series drogue. He got to use it in a wild storm a hundred miles or so west of Ireland. Deployed over the stern and adjusted for suitable resistance given wave height and steepness and running on bare poles, the drogue kept the stern safely in the wind and prevented broaches. I have forgotten what the average rate of advance was - pretty fast like maybe six knots on the face of a wave down to zero on the back and in the trough. They deployed it in the afternoon in conditions they could still .sail in because they wanted to understand the rig in daylight. Through the night and all the next day and night conditions were more violent than they believed they could carry any sail, not their trysail, not the storm jib. The series drogue was great for them.

Granuaile came with a parachute drogue. I went out in a Near Gale (Force 7, winds 28-33 knots) to test the thing. Granuaile was a wonderful sea boat that could heave-to and stay there in conditions that are beyond most boats. Were I not that day determined to test the parachute anchor that's the tactic I'd have chosen if I needed a rest. Also, Granna was perfectly able to sail any point in those conditions. (Granna sailed on day from Boston to the Cape Cod Canal with a good twenty miles were a Violent Storm, Force 11, winds 56-63 knots.)

This was only a test. That ended in a true Charlie Foxtrot. I could not get the thing into the water and away from the boat. It blew all over the bow. I somehow retrieved the thing and tried bending a fathom of spare chain to the rim in an attempt to get the rig down in the water where it could pull. That sort of worked but as we were drifting back it was putting great strain on the rudder. And the strain was too strong for me to retrieve the thing. I cut it loose. I think it might work better over the stern if your goal was to really attempt a stop, nearly, but the strains of such a rig when on the face of a wave would be huge. Much better, I think, the series drogue and sincere prayers that there's no lee shore immanent.

I've experimented with towing warps in a bight on a broad reach and run. That was in Goblin, the Alden 43 schooner. The warps made steering easier but active steering was required. The bight seemed to some extent to counter our stern wave and made enough disturbance in the water that even though there were breaking caps all around us, there were none in our wake. Rather pleasant actually.

So, for me, heaving-to is a normal rest tactic that can be done in any wind up to a Gale to Strong Gale. In my experience, if you could shorten sail and make that work, you could also heave-to. But if the conditions are too severe to actually sail, I like aiming downwind with the series drogue or warps in a bight.

I have never faced, probably never will face, the staggering waves of the great southern ocean. Nor have I been at sea in a North Atlantic hurricane.

Thank you Ian, Chris, and all. That is a good information.

Below low is an update on Tomy and good news about the possible fate of his boat. That is exactly what I hoped the Indians would attempt.

“Capt. Dilip Donde, Abhilash Tomy’s manager in India, reported today that Thuriya’s skipper can now stand and is eating and drinking, but requires complete rest. He will be evacuated from Ile Amsterdam on a stretcher.

Capt. Donde also announced plans to salvage Tomy’s yacht Thuriya, left drifting in the Indian Ocean when he was recovered by the crew of the French Fisheries Patrol ship Osiris on Monday. The plan is for the Indian frigate to tow Thuriya to St Paul’s Island some 40 miles north, and leave a crew to make repairs and sail her to land.”
    Last edited by Matt young; 09-26-2018 at 11:12 AM.
    -The Dude-

Good on the Indian Navy, trying to repair and sail the boat. I very much doubt the American Navy would be willing to use the personnel and resources for such a task.

Moving well under jury rig. Must still be windy.