Thread: 2018 Golden Globe Race

Default 2018 Golden Globe Race

I just finished reading “The Long Way” by Moitessier. Very interesting. Great descriptive writing, and a beautiful take on sailing. But man the French and their busy brains sometimes!

That got got me looking at the current and in progress retro version of the race. I didn’t know the Sir Robert Knox-Johnston’s boat was an Atkin’s Eric. And there is a new version of this design racing, skippered by Abhilash Tony. This time in wood composite. Pretty cool!

https://goldengloberace.com/skipper/abhilash-tom/

To celebrate India’s heritage in building famous singlehanded yachts in the past (Suhaili and Lively Lady spring to mind) Abhilash will be racing a replica of Sir Robin Knox-Johnston’s original winner. Work began at the Aquarius shipyard on Goa in 2016, not with the rudimentary adze, bow drill and hand saw that shaped Suhaili in a Bombay shipyard five decades before, but with the latest CAD design and CNC cutting machinery to produce a much lighter wood epoxy composite replica. Thuriya was launched in August 2017 and Cdr.Tomy has been conducting sea trials in the Indian Ocean prior to shipping the yacht to Europe in March 2018.

D053678F-B7A5-47EC-BF3D-CCE1A7289FE4.jpg
    Last edited by Matt young; 07-31-2018 at 03:09 PM.
    "Yeah, well, that's just, like your opinion man"
    -The Dude-

Default Re: 2018 Golden Globe Race

This race is going on right now; is anyone watching it? There is no chatter.
    https://goldengloberace.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Matt young View Post
    I just finished reading “The Long Way” by Moitessier. Very interesting. Great descriptive writing, and a beautiful take on sailing. But man the French and their busy brains sometimes!

That got got me looking at the current and in progress retro version of the race. I didn’t know the Sir Robert Knox-Johnston’s boat was an Atkin’s Eric. And there is a new version of this design racing, skippered by Abhilash Tony. This time in wood composite. Pretty cool!

https://goldengloberace.com/skipper/abhilash-tom/

To celebrate India’s heritage in building famous singlehanded yachts in the past (Suhaili and Lively Lady spring to mind) Abhilash will be racing a replica of Sir Robin Knox-Johnston’s original winner. Work began at the Aquarius shipyard on Goa in 2016, not with the rudimentary adze, bow drill and hand saw that shaped Suhaili in a Bombay shipyard five decades before, but with the latest CAD design and CNC cutting machinery to produce a much lighter wood epoxy composite replica. Thuriya was launched in August 2017 and Cdr.Tomy has been conducting sea trials in the Indian Ocean prior to shipping the yacht to Europe in March 2018.

D053678F-B7A5-47EC-BF3D-CCE1A7289FE4.jpg
    I'm pretty sure there are Joshua replicas in the race too.

I think it would be a fantastic race to be part of but I found it a bit boring to follow - probably a criticism of me rather than the race!

Rick

PS Apparently there aren't any Joshua replicas in this race. They're to be included in the 2022 race. Along with some more (?) Suhaili replicas.
    Last edited by RFNK; 08-08-2018 at 08:04 PM.

Rustler 36s currently in 4 of the top 5 places, with the prettiest boat in the race, an S&S 36, in 4th. It's a pity Kim Holman isn't around anymore to see this.

Rick

Yeah not the most short term exciting race to follow, but I do enjoy that I don't have to check in but once a week. That makes it easy to watch. A number of dropouts right off. I don't know if they did it, but I heard that they were going to have the original Joshua and Suhaili be the starting line. If so, that is great.
    "Yeah, well, that's just, like your opinion man"
    -The Dude-