Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Port Townsend WBF - 2018

Default Re: Port Townsend WBF - 2018

Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    Oh I think we met at Lefty's party one year?

Oh, yeah, of course. I guess I think of you as a Caribbean type.
    We were the last ones up as I recall.

You sure you aren’t coming this year?

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

I'm always the last one up Steve.
    It's a thing of mine .

Quote Originally Posted by pcford View Post
    the prancing hippies of course.
    Yes... and we're liable to have our shop-aprons on <G>
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    Yes... and we're liable to have our shop-aprons on <G>
    And nothing else?
    If I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, eventually they would find me attractive.

Quote Originally Posted by rbgarr View Post
    And nothing else?
    Us prancing hippies have a code: what happens in PT...
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by rbgarr View Post
    And nothing else?
    For the sake of humanity, NO!!

So I just realized that our hipster hotel for Sunday and Monday nights is a block and a half from The Center For Wooden Boats.

The last time I was in Seattle was the first week that Redhook Brewing bottled their beer. Before that they just sold Kegs to local bars. I still have a few commemorative bottles (of air) that I flew back to Hoboken. This was in the early Eighties. What bands do you think I might have seen down in Pioneer Square? I don't remember any of their names.
    Last edited by StevenBauer; 08-09-2018 at 05:43 PM.

I'll be there with Fire-Drake in the water at the dock. Previous years I've been next to the Shanghai restaurant in the small boat ghetto along that dock but last year they put me on the opposite side.

Do stop by and introduce yourself.
    Alex

"A man who is not afraid of the sea will soon be drowned, for he will be going out on a day he shouldn't. We do be afraid of the sea, and we only be drowned now and again" Aran Islands Fisherman

Will do, Alex. Looking forward to it.

Quote Originally Posted by StevenBauer View Post
    So I just realized that our hipster hotel for Sunday and Monday nights is a block and a half from The Center For Wooden Boats.
    Fun!

Check out Neoga's half-hull - last time I was there (3 years ago) it was up in the office.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

I need crew!......to sail to the P.T. Fest, and to the Deer Harbor fest earlier. Here's the flyer I've posted in Friday Harbor:

READ THE FLYER

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

My bride has been asked to cover the event for Classic boat.
    So it seems I may be liming around the beer tent this year after all. Prolly tent at the fairgrounds and tow the 2 cycle devil boat.

Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    My bride has been asked to cover the event for Classic boat.
    So it seems I may be liming around the beer tent this year after all. Prolly tent at the fairgrounds and tow the 2 cycle devil boat.
    Good. I want a ride in said buzzbomb.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Ok. It’s happening. Flights are booked. Looking for lodging. Wish us luck. See you there!

Nice! I was really angling for a hall pass to get there for my birthday but there is too much going on for me.

Please know I have begun to save my pennies for the Maine Boat show in March instead.
    Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 08-10-2018 at 07:05 PM.
    Be wary of your critics, at peace with your decisions, and work hard to be a better man.

Good to hear the Bauers are all set for housing with my Twin at Robert and Marly's place, and I've got a room at an organic farm nearby.

Can we assume that we'll have the WB Forum Elbow Bending Session (EBS) at the usual time and place: the porta-pub on the beach just west of the harbor entrance? I can start a separate thread if need be, but figured I'd try adding it to this thread.

Looking forward to seeing some of you folks there! I'll be bringing my new CY, re-named Goblin after the small ship in the Swallows & Amazons books, not sure if I'll have her displayed on a trailer or launch and hang out on the water and beach. Was too flakey to get her submitted for in-the-water display.
    "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

Haverchuck won't be part of the festival but I'll probably bring her up for a day or two so I can sail slalom around the mooring field. The show out there is pretty great, too. Weather-permitting, I'll anchor out west of the ferry terminal or keep her near the center's beach. I've found that doing this offers a nice mix of sailing, hanging out, and not having to answer questions from the general public. I suppose if the weather turns ugly I'll raft up to Fire-Drake and ask Alex if he has any beer.
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

Looking forward to seeing some of you folks there!
    Will you be staying with Gordon and Neb, Thorne?

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by Yeadon View Post
    Haverchuck won't be part of the festival but I'll probably bring her up for a day or two so I can sail slalom around the mooring field. The show out there is pretty great, too. Weather-permitting, I'll anchor out west of the ferry terminal or keep her near the center's beach. I've found that doing this offers a nice mix of sailing, hanging out, and not having to answer questions from the general public. I suppose if the weather turns ugly I'll raft up to Fire-Drake and ask Alex if he has any beer.
    Aren't there streets west of the ferry terminal? Just checking. Anyways, doubt if I will be prancing with the hippies this year.

Nah, they live a little far away from PT. I hope to visit them, but we shall see...

Quote Originally Posted by Pitsligo View Post
    Will you be staying with Gordon and Neb, Thorne?

Alex
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

. I suppose if the weather turns ugly I'll raft up to Fire-Drake and ask Alex if he has any beer.
    Wait. Ugly weather? Say it’s not so. I thought the weather was always perfect in PT. I sure hope Mary and I can get a sail in Haverchuck. And Julia. And Goblin, and lots of other boats. So we should bring PFDs? I have an inflatable that would fit on the plane pretty easily. Maybe Mary should get an inflatable, too. Off to the Hamilton Marine site to look for deals.

Are inflatables ok on planes?

Nah, they live a little far away from PT. I hope to visit them, but we shall see...
    As difficult as it can be to get lodgings in PT during the WBF, they might be the closest easy option.

Alex

Wait. Ugly weather? Say it’s not so. I thought the weather was always perfect in PT. I sure hope Mary and I can get a sail in Haverchuck. And Julia. And Goblin, and lots of other boats. So we should bring PFDs? I have an inflatable that would fit on the plane pretty easily. Maybe Mary should get an inflatable, too. Off to the Hamilton Marine site to look for deals.
    That would be great fun to take you and Mary out for a sail. I have a few extra PFDs that I can pack along on Haverchuck.
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

I suppose if the weather turns ugly I'll raft up to Fire-Drake and ask Alex if he has any beer.
    There's always beer for additional ballast when not sailing in full cruise mode.
    Alex

"A man who is not afraid of the sea will soon be drowned, for he will be going out on a day he shouldn't. We do be afraid of the sea, and we only be drowned now and again" Aran Islands Fisherman

Default Port Townsend WBF - 2018

Quote Originally Posted by Schooner36 View Post
    Are inflatables ok on planes?

Yes, checked or carry-on. If you're flying out of Chattanooga, don't make the same mistake I did and de-arm the vests by checking them and trying to placing the arming cartridges in carry-on bags. TSA confiscated them even though regs say inflatables and spare cylinders can go in either place. I've done this before in Chattanooga, with no problem, but not this last time. Also done it in Atlanta, Bangor, Edinburgh, Dublin, JFK and LaGuardia. Security never raised an eyebrow. Apparently TSA employees can rule that an item is dangerous despite what the posted regulations say. There was no amount of explaining or showing her (the TSA lady) the regs to get her to change her mind, and I knew that was an argument I'd never win.
    Ken

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by The Gentleman Sawyer; 08-27-2018 at 10:54 PM.

Just wear it on the plane, and tell anyone who asks that you prefer your own PFD rather than the seat cushion the airline provides...

I'll also have a few PDFs with me in Goblin.

Steven - I've never brought my own pfd to PT. I either borrow one from the boat, or go commando.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    Steven - I've never brought my own pfd to PT. I either borrow one from the boat, or go commando.
    Truly an image I did not need.

"If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by Thorne View Post
    Just wear it on the plane, and tell anyone who asks that you prefer your own PFD rather than the seat cushion the airline provides...

I'll also have a few PDFs with me in Goblin.
    I did that going to a race in Long Beach one time. As I boarded, the stewardess asked if I wanted to check my PFD in the carry-on bulk section and I clutched it to my chest saying, "Nuh uh...I hear this plane's flying over water" and a guy nearby in first class fainted.

We'll be there. We will be camping at the fairgrounds. You don't have to book in there. It's $17 a night. You put the money in an envelope, in the box. It will be our fifth time at the Festival. Looking forward to the show and seeing some of you guys again.
    Ian and Alison
    Old Joke: ‘A bench fitter works to the nearest thousandth of an inch. A loco fitter (steam) works to the nearest inch. A shipwright works to the nearest ship’.”
    Alan Byde, Canoe Design and Construction, Pelham Books, 1978

“...old maxim, 'A fair line supersedes any given measurement'.”
    Allan H. Vaitses, Lofting, International Marine, 1980

Quote Originally Posted by IanMilne View Post
    We'll be there. We will be camping at the fairgrounds. You don't have to book in there. It's $17 a night. You put the money in an envelope, in the box. It will be our fifth time at the Festival. Looking forward to the show and seeing some of you guys again.
    Ian and Alison
    Wow, I thought we were traveling pretty far. It’ll be good meet another Forumite from NZ. Getting close now. We fly to Seattle a week from tomorrow. How’s the smoke out there? Calmed down any?

Winds have been out of the West, so blowing the smoke away. That pattern is likely to continue as we move closer toward Fall.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Yes, the air quality is more or less back to it's usual nice. However, Puget Sound is offering up other hazards. Let's hope this doesn't become a regular thing: https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/28/us/wa...ine/index.html

Some of my neighbors saw the object being towed. I missed it though. I calculate that I was in the kitchen mixing a gin&tonic at the time. We all heard the explosion later. "What was that?" "Do you suppose...." And it was.

I expect that Point Hudson will be cleared of explosives before the Festival.

Jeff

Hi Steve,
    I remember you on the Alistego Quick Topic group. Steve "Stromborg" will have his Eun na Mara in the show.
    Cheers,
    Ian
    Old Joke: ‘A bench fitter works to the nearest thousandth of an inch. A loco fitter (steam) works to the nearest inch. A shipwright works to the nearest ship’.”
    Alan Byde, Canoe Design and Construction, Pelham Books, 1978

“...old maxim, 'A fair line supersedes any given measurement'.”
    Allan H. Vaitses, Lofting, International Marine, 1980