Page 1 of 7 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Port Townsend WBF - 2018

Default Port Townsend WBF - 2018

We are toying with the idea of flying out for the festival. Who’s going? What’s the best part of the Festival to you?

Default Re: Port Townsend WBF - 2018

I am going. My twin - 'Thorne the Magnificent' often comes, though no plans are yet made.

The best is, of course, viewing the boats and talking to the owners. Second is catching up with people - some of whom I typically see only at this event. The WBF EBS (Sat. evening) is not to be missed. The seminars tend to be excellent, with the biggest issue choosing among them. I love the chance to meet folks from elsewhere who use the show as an excuse (like yourself) to come to the NW. Clients I've only talked to on the phone. WBF folks and 'imaginary friends' from other boating groups.. Potential clients meeting in person for the first time. Another thing I like to so, and seldom do enough of, it talk myself onto other people's boats for a joy-ride. Also - be sure and line up a spot on someone's boat for the "SailBye" - that mob scene of sailing, waving, and goodbyes to end the show. So you're right to think about priorities. I find that I'd need to be 3-4 people to do everything I want to do. Happens every year.

Also - you are hereby invited - if you come - to the Coots Breakfast/Brunch - Saturday morning. Our motto is 'no fees - no rules - no doorprizes... so you are a member if you declare yourself so.

It's late to think about accommodations - but PM me. I may be able to help.

https://nwmaritime.org/wooden-boat-festival/
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Not gonna make it this year, but I cannot recommend it highly enough. As much as I enjoy the WBS in Mystic, the PT WBF takes it to another level. More boats, more to see, really great people & the Sat. night EBS gets a good size crowd (good size as in lots of people - some of the attendees are somewhat height-challenged ). We got a ride out to watch the races & that was lots of fun - but for me the main thing was going on board dozens & dozens of boats & talking with all the owners.

Even making reservations in the spring, we ended up 15 miles away - but it's beautiful country so that was no hardship.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

I'm going and we reserved a house over on Discovery Bay for the weekend. This is an "every other year" event for us so I look forward to the boats (the stars), the classes and the ice cream As a bit of an agoraphobe I tend to avoid crowds, but with so many like-minded folks I never feel overwhelmed. Get in early to get your class/seminar reservations in and enjoy the mornings...linger 'til twilight as the crowds thin out and the EBSs begin.

I'm probably going up for one of the days, not sure which --Sat sounds appealing, from this post-- but without anyplace to overnight, for me it'll just be a one-day up-and-back, from Olympia.

Alex

There's camping also - though many campgrounds may be full. https://ptguide.com/recreation-activ...national-parks
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Steven; did it a couple of years ago, a bucket list for us right coasters.
    Ben Fuller
    Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Tipsy, Tippy, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity, Look Far, Flash and a quiver of other 'yaks.
    "Bound fast is boatless man."

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

I may give it a pass this year.

Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    I may give it a pass this year.
    Dang, wiz... I hope not.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Steven- If you go, see if you can check out this funky landlocked boat AirBnB. It looks like a hoot! https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/7982602...s=0&s=IVx82NXO
    If I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, eventually they would find me attractive.

I will be there again this year with Emily Ruth. This will be our third year. We had to cancel last year at the last minute. E/R is an open day sailer so I stay at a b&b uptown. Accommodations are difficult this late. I mostly enjoy just being with like minded people for several days. Conversations and surprise connections happen all the time and can come from the least likely. I've done a few of the talks/seminars but my hearing is really poor so the speaker's voice is usually lost to me in those venues. So I try to keep things as close up as I can. The EBS on Saturday is not to be missed, of course. It's a mini-forum mashup and there will be beer.

Plus, I like to show off my boat. Small tho she is.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by jpatrick View Post
    I will be there again this year with Emily Ruth. This will be our third year. We had to cancel last year at the last minute. E/R is an open day sailer so I stay at a b&b uptown. Accommodations are difficult this late. I mostly enjoy just being with like minded people for several days. Conversations and surprise connections happen all the time and can come from the least likely. I've done a few of the talks/seminars but my hearing is really poor so the speaker's voice is usually lost to me in those venues. So I try to keep things as close up as I can. The EBS on Saturday is not to be missed, of course. It's a mini-forum mashup and there will be beer.

Plus, I like to show off my boat. Small tho she is.

Jeff
    Your boat is worth showing off <G>
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    There's camping also - though many campgrounds may be full. https://ptguide.com/recreation-activ...national-parks
    Seems as though there is always room to camp at the Jefferson County Fairgrounds. $5 per night if I remember correctly
    Elect a clown expect a circus

I will haul my catboat up from California again this year. This will be my 13th or 14th year of participating in the Port Townsend Wooden Boat Festival. This unique gathering of wooden boats is a wonderful event, for all of the reasons listed above. They always put my boat on the outside of the southeast dock, not far from where the lovely
    Emily Ruth has been in years past. Please stop by.
    Last edited by Mike.Higgins.94301; 07-30-2018 at 01:09 PM.

Marianita and I will be there as well, they have always put us abeam of the Shanghai restaurant. Here's hoping the two little girls are old enough to not be out there yelling "Cold soda, cold water, one dollar!" all weekend.
    Steve

Boats, like whiskey, are all good.
    R.D Culler

I'll be there. I'll be staying with a couple friends in Sequim. I've always wanted to see Pt Townsend!

Boy Howdy! This thread has made me begin to get excited and there's over a month to go before Festival. Now that I know people have actually noticed Emily Ruth, I'll be sure to wash the salt off her deck.

Steve, the smart money says those girls will be there hawking cool drinks forever. So don't lose sleep worrying about it now. You'll lose plenty later when trying to sleep aboard during the festival.

Jeff

I love going to the festival! Its a great time, for all the reasons everyone else mentioned. Several years I have simply packed a backpack with some overnight gear, and have always been able to find a dry berth to crash in. Be flexible, be spontaneous. I think I'm dragging the Admiral and Crew along, but Grandma and Grandpa are camping at nearby Fort Worden, so their accommodation is taken care of.

While we are on the topic...... anyone want to offer me a berth so I don't have to scrounge on Saturday?
    There's the plan, then there's what actually happens.

Ben Sebens, RN

Hope to be there by boat this year. Probably tie up in Boat Haven if we get there early enough.
    Elect a clown expect a circus

Ok. It’s happening. Flights are booked. Looking for lodging. Wish us luck. See you there!

I really enjoyed showing Julia last year, but this year we are only on the waitlist, and I may withdraw from that to have a few extra days cruising. Either way I'll be there Sat, anchored out or otherwise.

Its a great time, I highly recommend it.

Sunday boats start leaving around noon to do the sail-by, so you get more for your money the other days.

Quote Originally Posted by J.Madison View Post
    I really enjoyed showing Julia last year, but this year we are only on the waitlist, and I may withdraw from that to have a few extra days cruising. Either way I'll be there Sat, anchored out or otherwise.
    It’d be real treat to see Julia! And meet, you, too. I hope to meet lots of imaginary friends. I think Tim is the only one of you PNW types that I’ve met in real life. Besides, Lew, of course. But he’s moved down to the deep South.

Quote Originally Posted by jpatrick View Post
    Steve, the smart money says those girls will be there hawking cool drinks forever. So don't lose sleep worrying about it now. You'll lose plenty later when trying to sleep aboard during the festival.

Jeff
    Those "two little girls" are the second generation. When I started attending, back in the 90's, it was their older sister or aunt, yelling the same chant. "They" will be there as long as there is a Shanghai restaurant.

Still looking for lodging. I sent a PM, David. Would staying on Whidby Island and taking the ferry be horribly inconvenient?

Quote Originally Posted by StevenBauer View Post
    We are toying with the idea of flying out for the festival. Who’s going? What’s the best part of the Festival to you?
    Sure, the year I am not going!
    Clinton B. Chase
    Portland, Maine

http://tinyurl.com/myboats

Walking on the ferry works well. If you want to take a car across, best make your reservations as soon as possible.
    There's the plan, then there's what actually happens.

Ben Sebens, RN

Still looking for lodging. I sent a PM, David. Would staying on Whidby Island and taking the ferry be horribly inconvenient?
    Steven - I did respond, and quickly, basically asking for details - # in party, etc. Try again?
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Quote Originally Posted by Clinton B Chase View Post
    Sure, the year I am not going!

Doh!

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    Steven - I did respond, and quickly, basically asking for details - # in party, etc. Try again?
    Ok. I sent another PM.

Ok. I sent another PM.
    Got it & replied.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Also sent email.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Best part of the festival is seeing how many boats I can weasel a ride on. Lots of options.
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

Ride weaseling. I like it.

We’ve been watching videos:

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

It’d be real treat to see Julia! And meet, you, too. I hope to meet lots of imaginary friends. I think Tim is the only one of you PNW types that I’ve met in real life. Besides, Lew, of course. But he’s moved down to the deep South.
    Oh I think we met at Lefty's party one year?

the prancing hippies of course.