Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 67

Thread: Port Townsend WBF - 2018

Default Re: Port Townsend WBF - 2018

Osprey with the dried out rudder had vinyl letters on her transom. That was the real sin.
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

Yes, but that sin can be atoned for with a razor knife and a good lettering brush.

Just for good measure, give 'em five Pater Nosters, 250ml of Epifanes, and a couple yards of 220-grit PSA paper.

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by Osborne Russell View Post
    Just got back, whew. No pics. I was the old white guy with a white beard wearing a hat.

Liked that power-with-sail-added boat, the blue one, just inside the entrance. Guy says he thinks it started out as a Poulsbo boat.

What happened to the blue boat-building race boat, did it spring a leak?

Thorne, nice steering gear on the Caledonia, but . . . if you go wishbone, make it plenty big so you can put the rudder way over.

Big blow on Sunday, then it quit.
    Yes, I believe that is a Pousbo boat with an added rig. I was curious how the conversion panned out, but never managed to talk to the owner.

Sorry I missed seeing you.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Yes, I believe that is a Pousbo boat with an added rig. I was curious how the conversion panned out, but never managed to talk to the owner.
    If it's the boat I heard a few people speaking about, who had personal knowledge of the boat, it looks a lot better than it sails. A *lot* better. As in, she doesn't want to stay right-side-up when she's under sail.

Alex

From last year's Festival listing of boats, search for Wood Duck - https://nwmaritime.org/wooden-boat-f...al-boats-2017/

Apparently she was a long term project of the owner's father, but he got to finish her, and says she's top heavy.

Name: Wood Duck
    Year Built: 1930s
    Owner: Dennis Welch
    Designer: Young
    Design: Poulsbo
    Type: Gaff
    Description: Boat purchased in 1970 for $45….at Bellevue Washington. My father had a vision for the Poulsbo boat to become a jaunty sailboat. The attractive lines were decked and an an engine house built by Jensen Motor Boat Co. Many complications ensued as the air cooled engine was boxed. An un weighted keel was added but she sails very top heavy. My father put in 38 years tinkering, making spars, collecting brass goodies and boat yard friendships. I have spent the last 8 years putting the parts together. It has been a fun project with some sailing adventures yet to come.
    "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

So... Steven & Mary - thanks for coming to our little corner of the world. It was a pleasure to have you visit. And am I hearing rumors already that you might come back again next year? Was that first texted foto - the one with the goggles & sidecar - a hint of how you'll arrive??
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post

Sorry I missed seeing you.
    Next time!
    He's a Mexican. -- Donald Trump.
    America cannot survive another four years of Barack Obama. -- Governor Chris Christie (R) New Jersey
    It wasn't racism, it was an attack on Christianity. -- Fox News
    Crying white mothers are ratings gold. -- National Rifle Association