Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Herreshoff Rozinante on ebay $1500

Default Re: Herreshoff Rozinante on ebay $1500

Quote Originally Posted by JamesCaird View Post
    Regarding an auxiliary: a proper Rozinante will sail in almost nothing, goes where you point her with confidence. When wind is completely flat one 10 ft sweep will do the trick. You lean into it standing and she get moving, steers easily with the tiller. You can shift between pushing and pulling the sweep and make steady progress- she has momenturm. Cheers/ JC
    I can tell you you won't make much headway in a calm against the ebb on the east side of Penobscot bay,
    and up the Bagaduce into Castine? Row your heart out, Forget it! Just let her drift down the bay, by morning you should be just by the MO(A) or right back where you started.

Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    I can tell you you won't make much headway in a calm against the ebb on the east side of Penobscot bay,
    and up the Bagaduce into Castine? Row your heart out, Forget it! Just let her drift down the bay, by morning you should be just by the MO(A) or right back where you started.
    Some rowing is required to maintain steering even when drifting, enough to keep yourself off the rocks.

Many times on those sultry summer days, I've just set the mizzen close hauled and gone and taken a nap in the cockpit. The boat just seems to drift in circles. Even the slightest Zepher will usually wake me... If worried about going ashore I just hang an anchor off the bow with about 50 feet of rode out.

Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    Many times on those sultry summer days, I've just set the mizzen close hauled and gone and taken a nap in the cockpit. The boat just seems to drift in circles. Even the slightest Zepher will usually wake me... If worried about going ashore I just hang an anchor off the bow with about 50 feet of rode out.
    Ha! Around here you'd be awakened every five or ten minutes by a lobsterman checking on a boat that looked unattended going in circles!
    If I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, eventually they would find me attractive.

Getting awakened by a concerned citizen would be ok. I'd be scared of getting run over by a power squadron with their auto pilots on. If it wasn't a week day there would be to much confused chop from wakes to sleep anyway.