Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Herreshoff Rozinante on ebay $1500

Default Herreshoff Rozinante on ebay $1500

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Herreshoff-Ro...anner=1&_rdt=1

Shame to see such a fine boat looking so sad. It may make a worthy project for someone if its not to far gone.

Ahh Fibreglass hull... opps, I just posted a frozen snot boat on the wooden boat forum. Sorry, but still those lines! And lots of wood on the deck, infact the whole deck is wood by the looks of it. What a beauty! Hope she finds a good home.

Default Re: Herreshoff Rozinante on ebay $1500

If it wasn't for fiberglass and epoxy half of the boats posted on here wouldn't float.

Quote Originally Posted by navydog View Post
    If it wasn't for fiberglass and epoxy half of the boats posted on here wouldn't float.
    Ouch, that hurt

Worth that much just for the hardware.
    If I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, eventually they would find me attractive.

The Kenner boats were heavier than LFH intended.

Wrong coast or I'd have her! I've wanted to sail a Rosinante since I was a kid..glass or not.

I know of at least six that are on the west coast. A member of my family once had one. I built two in Costa Mesa CA. They are great boats for the person who likes minimal cruising accoutrements. Is a cedar bucket included with this one? Mind you, I am not enchanted by fiber glass but,
    this one may not be as bad as it looks.
    Jay

Here are two on a reach off Port Townsend. Note that towing a dinghy is faster than towing an outboard prop.
    Jay

Quote Originally Posted by JimConlin View Post
    The Kenner boats were heavier than LFH intended.
    Wondering why you say this. We're they built to different line plan? Do they sit in the water below the designed displacement? Do they use less ballast and heavier topsides?
    Last edited by navydog; 07-30-2018 at 09:36 AM.

An engineless 28' boat is a tough sell these days.
    No adversary is worse than bad advice.

I'd just look at this as a hull and hardware, and It's pretty cheap for what you get. Glass in an outboard well or go electric.
    Last edited by navydog; 07-30-2018 at 10:31 AM.

I'd just look at this as a hull and hardware, and It's pretty cheap for what you get. Glass in an outboard well or go electric.
    And a bunch of patterns to work from. I think his guesstimate on the spars is a bit optimistic. But some really nice ​hardware

This would make a great weekender for 2. I probably saw this boat off Annapolis about 25 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Figment View Post
    An engineless 28' boat is a tough sell these days.
    Are you saying that todays sailors can't sail as well as their predecessors?
    Jay

Quote Originally Posted by Snow Pea View Post
    https://m.ebay.com/itm/Herreshoff-Ro...anner=1&_rdt=1

Shame to see such a fine boat looking so sad. It may make a worthy project for someone if its not to far gone.
    what a lousy ad for a boat with such potential. That boat should sell for a dollar to a willing owner. Any more - the seller is taking advantage of a foolish dreamer.

I am no longer stuck on wood vs fiberglass. Those days are over. Form and function are keys to a great boat. Old boat prices are reflecting the market. There are some terrific boats ready to sail out there for less than 10k which is what it will take even if you did the work yourself. Life is too short to mess with it unless it is for a personal reason.

I wonder what Francis would say now considering everything today. He may very well agree with me.
    Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 07-30-2018 at 12:49 PM.
    King Moonraiser:
    A toy is never truly happy until it is loved by a child.

$10,000 for a ship shape Rozinante is a steal. They are going for anywhere from 40,000 to 95,000 G.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Hoppe View Post
    what a lousy ad for a boat with such potential. That boat should sell for a dollar to a willing owner. Any more - the seller is taking advantage of a foolish dreamer.

I am no longer stuck on wood vs fiberglass. Those days are over. Form and function are keys to a great boat. Old boat prices are reflecting the market. There are some terrific boats ready to sail out there for less than 10k which is what it will take even if you did the work yourself. Life is too short to mess with it unless it is for a personal reason.

I wonder what Francis would say now considering everything today. He may very well agree with me.

Life is too short to mess with it unless it is for a personal reason."

I suppose that has a lot to do with how short a person expects life to be. This would be a great project for a young guy that wants a classic boat designed by a notable yacht designer.

Could it be that those who are of little talent for working with wood or little creative ability in design are now de-crying those who can and do?
    Jay

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Greer View Post
    Could it be that those who are of little talent for working with wood or little creative ability in design are now de-crying those who can and do?
    Jay
    I don't think so, Jay, but this would be a great starting point for a young man (gal, couple) who want to get their feet wet in "wooden-esque" boats and end up with a vessel that has few parallels. Might be the stepping stone it takes to get them to the next level...building from scratch or a total restoration of an all wood boat. As a latecomer to wood (other than household projects) I frequently wish I'd stuck with it as a kid, having helped with a couple of Snipes, a 26' powerboat and a 45' Piver tri, but it somehow never stuck...probably because they were always the OGB..The Other Guys' Boat. Once I got into racing frozen snot (spoken lovingly...I've had several and sailed on countless) I got busy with the performance aspect that until quite recently I re-discovered wood and have changed my approach to sailing. To me, it's important to encourage experimentation at whatever level someone's comfortable with and that Rozinante would be a good starting poiint.

Hmmm- A bit of a project... The Kenner Rozinante hull had a reputation for being OK. As a Rozinante builder/sailer myself I can say that alot of the details are correct (and important) on this one but not all done that well, looking at the coaming. Not sure about the ballast ratio, etc, but other things: the bow and stern chocks look correct and their shape and fairing into toe rails becomes important to the eye as on many of LFH's designs. The cabin door hinges are correct and they appear to unship. Can't tell about the mast tangs from the photos but the goosenecks are not correct to Rozinante patterns. No oarlock sockets. Regarding an auxiliary: a proper Rozinante will sail in almost nothing, goes where you point her with confidence. When wind is completely flat one 10 ft sweep will do the trick. You lean into it standing and she get moving, steers easily with the tiller. You can shift between pushing and pulling the sweep and make steady progress- she has momentum. Cheers/ JC

It seems to me that making a boat fit your own personal needs is more important then sticking to specifics of a design. I doubt this boat will be in any Concours d’Elegance*boat show.

Jay
    Jay
    I'm enjoying Jay Greer quite a bit on this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

Jay
    While I do find that to be true, generally, my point was more about how a person paying to keep a 28' boat would probably prefer the convenience of some auxilliary propulsion included in that cost.

We must also recognize how uncommon it has become for a person's way of life to tolerate the schedule-uncertainty of engineless cruising.

As a sailor who spent years sailing keel boats without engines, I say from experience that it is possible. Patience with wind and tide is necessary. For sure there are many more boats in harbors today than there were in the past, making sailing to a mooring more challenging and risky.

Quote Originally Posted by johngsandusky View Post
    As a sailor who spent years sailing keel boats without engines, I say from experience that it is possible. Patience with wind and tide is necessary. For sure there are many more boats in harbors today than there were in the past, making sailing to a mooring more challenging and risky.
    Of course, but that freedom from schedules isn't available to everyone.
    If I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, eventually they would find me attractive.

I see that the ebay listing has ended. Was it pulled or sold?

Depending on your sailing area it might be required to wait for a week to have the wind in your favor and some places with stong currents from tides would be foollhardy venturing into without power.

Quote Originally Posted by Figment View Post
    I see that the ebay listing has ended. Was it pulled or sold?
    It was "unsold" no bids.

Quote Originally Posted by rbgarr View Post
    Of course, but that freedom from schedules isn't available to everyone.
    I agree completely. That was a warning. I once swam ashore from a becalmed boat to keep a date. I've also spent plenty of time rowing short distances, like 40 minutes for a half mile. One long oar on a 7000# boat.

As most of you know, we have two 28' boats in the family. One, the H28 has an engine and the other "Red Witch" does not. I would not change either boat as they both fulfill that which they were designed to do.
    Jay

As most of you know, we have two 28' boats in the family. One, the H28 has an engine and the other "Red Witch" does not. I would not change either boat as they both fulfill that which they were designed to do.
    Jay
    No doubt Jay, but you do have a boat with an engine. Would you go without if you only had .......just one boat?

No doubt Jay, but you do have a boat with an engine. Would you go without if you only had .......just one boat?
    Now that's just silly. One boat? Surely you jest!

"If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    Now that's just silly. One boat? Surely you jest!

Well it is purely hypothetical. In reality if you can remember how many boats you have, then you don't have enough.

Well it is purely hypothetical. In reality if you can remember how many boats you have, then you don't have enough.
    Phew! You had me worried for a minute!
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green