Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: DeVos Yacht Set Adrift

Default DeVos Yacht Set Adrift

[IMc - I disagree with political vandalism but understand the impulse. I hope those responsible were attempting consciously what appears to have happened: Low risk no injury political theater.]

Betsy DeVosís $40 million yacht set adrift by vandals
    BY MORGAN GSTALTER - 07/26/18 07:17 AM EDT 723

A $40 million yacht owned by Education Secretary Betsy DeVos was reportedly untied from the dock at a northern Ohio marina and set adrift.

The captain of the 163-foot yacht, named "Seaquest," called the Huron Police Department early Sunday morning when the crew realized the boat was floating in the Huron Boat Basin, The Toledo Blade reported.

The yacht hit a dock, causing between $5,000 and $10,000 in damage, the newspaper added, citing a police report.
    Investigators are hoping surveillance footage will show who untied the yacht from the dock.

It is one of 10 boats owned by DeVos and her family, according to the newspaper.

It is unclear why the Michigan family's boat was in northern Ohio, the Blade noted.

DeVos is one of the wealthiest members of President Trumpís Cabinet.

Business Insider reported in February that DeVos and her husband, former Amway CEO Dick DeVos, have an estimated net worth around $1.3 billion.

http://thehill.com/homenews/administ...ift-by-vandals

Default Re: DeVos Yacht Set Adrift

First, altho I have no respect for DeVos, I have less respect for anyone who unties boats as vandalism. But a couple of things from the report stood out:

"A $40 million yacht owned by Education Secretary Betsy DeVos was reportedly untied from the dock at a northern Ohio marina and set adrift."

"It is one of 10 boats owned by DeVos and her family,"

And yet she is currently proposing rules that would cut student loan relief by $13 million for students who were defrauded (like by Trump University).

What an absolute pig and feckless c.

What ronII said:
    DeVos Proposes to Curtail Debt Relief for Defrauded Students

IMMIGRANTS BUILT AMERICA - IMMIGRANTS BUILD AMERICA

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bow View Post
    What ronII said:
    DeVos Proposes to Curtail Debt Relief for Defrauded Students
    And the DeVos fortune was made from Amway, the original Ponzi scheme.

Pigasus Lives!!!
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

She is evil, but they say that two wrongs do not make a right.

However, if it has to happen to someone, and I know it does not, I'd rather it be her than someone far more decent and honorable.

This is the Huron, Ohio boat basin where DeVos' 163-foot yacht was docked:

If it was untied it was actually adrift in the Huron River.
    War is peace.
    Freedom is slavery.
    Ignorance is strength.
    Trump is doing beautifully.

"OK. Fine. So he exaggerated a little on that."

Feckless C. indeed!
    The Reverend

Fortunate that it didn't inflict any damage on anything else.
    The best statement I've seen from this latest carnage came from a student who lived through it -

"My generation will not allow this to continue!"

Remember voting age is 18. Read it and weep reds.

This is a better way to vandalize the criminals.

I don't care who she is--this is wrong and should not be condoned. The way to take a stand against people like her is to organize and vote.

Jeff C

Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    First, altho I have no respect for DeVos, I have less respect for anyone who unties boats as vandalism.
    One would have to do a lot more than untie a boat for me to have less respect for them over DeVos and her family. They will join the relatively small list of the absolute worst in the history books.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Montgomery View Post
    This is the Huron, Ohio boat basin where DeVos' 163-foot yacht was docked:

If it was untied it was actually adrift in the Huron River.
    Where the hell does a 163-foot yacht fit on those 30 ft fingers ?

I agree two wrongs don't make a right. Back in Cold Spring the boat club dinosaurs once hatched the lines on the Sloop Clearwater - Pete Segers boat, because they considered him a pinko lefty and set it adrift.
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

Quote Originally Posted by BETTY-B View Post
    One would have to do a lot more than untie a boat for me to have less respect for them over DeVos and her family. They will join the relatively small list of the absolute worst in the history books.
    Good point, I stand corrected. She's far worse than a vandal.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe (SoCal)
    Where the hell does a 163-foot yacht fit on those 30 ft fingers ?
    I'm thinking the news account may have gotten the details wrong and DeVos' yacht was actually parked on the other side of the river across from the boat basin where commercial ore boats dock.
    War is peace.
    Freedom is slavery.
    Ignorance is strength.
    Trump is doing beautifully.

"OK. Fine. So he exaggerated a little on that."

Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post

What an absolute pig and feckless c.
    She, along with Pruitt, are Trump's two most Orwellian appointments. It boggles the mind that the American people have been rendered so clueless and impotent as to allow this to be done to them.
    There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

Here it is

Tom

"Leave the gun, take the cannolis"

Quote Originally Posted by leikec View Post
    I don't care who she is--this is wrong and should not be condoned. The way to take a stand against people like her is to organize and vote.

Jeff C
    I do have to agree with you. If we are right in condoning her politics, we cannot condole those who resort to vandalism. We must all be above that sort of thing.

I admit to being embarrassed that this does give me an ugly little pleasure.

Quote Originally Posted by ccmanuals View Post
    Here it is

If it wasn't for such wonderful human beings as DeVos we wouldn't have boats like this. mmd would have nothing to post about. If it wasn't for good people like Betsy you'd hardly see a boat that wasn't a few sheets of meranti stitched together. Then where would we all be?!?
    There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

It was pointless; it just made work for the crew, and she is undoubtedly insured.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

The wealthy have many obligations - good taste, compassion, charity, and public spirit among them. DeVos shirks them all.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian McColgin View Post
    The wealthy have many obligations - good taste, compassion, charity, and public spirit among them.
    I'd call these characteristics more discretionary that obligatory. And now you even have a president who has little use for them.

Not discretionary in my code. People with great gifts, whatever combination of circumstance and talents made those gifts, have obligations to humanity commensurate with their gifts. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by JimD View Post
    I'd call these characteristics more discretionary that obligatory. And now you even have a president who has little use for them.
    I think both are correct. Certainly they are discretionary. No law exists to enforce them. Just public opinion and social pressure. And... I think the wealthy do have an obligation in those directions. A fact many of them recognize, and the source of the term noblesse oblige.

While it's true that that sense of obligation has never been universal... and has eroded a bit in recent years... that's not uncommon in times such as this - where many social norms and community standards are degraded.

The pervasiveness of Acton's Dictum is not to be underestimated.

"When there is an accumulation of money and power into fewer and fewer hands, people with the mentality of gangsters come to the fore. Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely" -- Lord Acton
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

devos isn't just feckless; she's so feckless, she's in minus numbers for feck. She owes feck. Her grandchildren will still owe on her feck-debt when she's cold and dead, which only awaits the second part.
    I don't care to know what the tough do when the going gets tough.

I am interested in what the enlightened do.

Not every wealthy person is a dickwad like DeVos, much like not every non-wealthy person hates wealth like JimD does. It takes all kinds, and the reasonables in all levels of society have to put up with the vocal, silly, and misguided.

I agree with you, Ian, that with wealth comes responsibility, and Ms. DeVos is shirking hers.
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

It looks like she'll have to hire additional crew to be watch standers.

I wonder what is customary with a mega yacht. At dock does all the crew just sleep at night?
    Will

I note that the yacht of a cabinet secretary is not US flagged.

Not in favor of vandalism. On the other hand, it may not have a political motive, but just a couple of local drunks.
    Gerard>
    ​Freeland, WA

Next election, vote against EVERY Republican, for EVERY office, at EVERY level. Be patriotic and stop the madness. Save the country.

IMO: 9502659
    MMSI: 319302000
    Call Sign: ZCXD4
    Flag: Cayman Is [KY]
    AIS Vessel Type: Pleasure Craft

Gross Tonnage: 492
    Deadweight: 98 t
    Length Overall x Breadth Extreme:

Quote Originally Posted by mmd View Post
    Not every wealthy person is a dickwad like DeVos, much like not every non-wealthy person hates wealth like JimD does. It takes all kinds, and the reasonables in all levels of society have to put up with the vocal, silly, and misguided.

I agree, apart from the bit about JimD hating wealth. I don't. Although I do tend to take a very dim view of vulgar displays of extreme wealth. If I hate anything, it's poverty. As an example of something I like, I like both Tatoosh and Peter Fonda, at least what I know of him. And I don't even care if the boat was originally commissioned by the Boeing family. Is it (still) Fonda's boat? I assume so, but not sure. And of course Fonda is no where near as wealthy as DeVos, but still well above my net worth. Also, I am the Determinist in the room. I don't believe DeVos chooses to be a feckless C. She just is what she is, as am I, as are we all. So why should I hate anyone or anything apart from the possibility that I'm built to hate? Which doesn't seem to be the case.

Last edited by JimD; 07-26-2018 at 12:26 PM.

You never seem to pass by an opportunity to call wealthy people crooks and criminal, nor to call out large yachts as obscene. Except the one above, which you posted. However, I'll take you at your word, and wait for the next time when you compliment a wealthy person or family, and profess admiration for a large yacht (that you didn't select).
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by JimD View Post
    Is it (still) Fonda's boat? I assume so, but not sure.
    No. He sold it in '85. It's for sale again right now for $495,000.

https://www.svtatoosh.com/about

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Mahan View Post
    devos isn't just feckless; she's so feckless, she's in minus numbers for feck. She owes feck. Her grandchildren will still owe on her feck-debt when she's cold and dead, which only awaits the second part.
    At least her Mother In Law paid for a children's hospital.
    Pet photography, the degree you get when you fail aromatherapy - Duck D.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian McColgin View Post
    The wealthy have many obligations - good taste, compassion, charity, and public spirit among them. DeVos shirks them all.
    Agree with your first statement, I won't comment on DeVos as I honestly do not know enough about her to say.

Not discretionary in my code. People with great gifts, whatever combination of circumstance and talents made those gifts, have obligations to humanity commensurate with their gifts. Period.

I will emphasize your Period. Now, back to your OP:

I disagree with political vandalism but understand the impulse.
    I don't understand the impulse. We part ways there. I can think of wealthy people who I have no admiration for, some of their actions really do bother me, I would never have the impulse to harm their property. But again, I do appreciate a couple of other of your posts on this thread.