Thread: is this supplier selling expired stock?

Thumbs down is this supplier selling expired stock?

Just took delivery of 22kg Resorcinol glue (with hardener) from supplier in Brisbane (Nightingale Supply).
    On the resin container label there is this stamp: "B/N 03092015". The label on the hardener has "B/N 16032015".
    From this Im assuming the glue and hardener were made up in 2015 as these look like date stamps to me.
    Given that both have a (technical data sheet) stipulated shelf life of only 12 months when stored at/between 10 to 20 deg C, Im left wondering if this business sold me what initially looks like expired stock?

I phoned the company straight away after I took delivery to discuss my concerns, but the manager was "in a meeting".
    I await a call from them tomorrow...but wont hold my breath on this one.

Im rather peeved as we are ready to glue up the mast laminations.

Default Re: is this supplier selling expired stock?

If the supplier is not the manufacturer, contact the manufacturer and check if those are date stamps and on the realistic shelf life.
    Someday, I'm going to settle down and be a grumpy old man.

Not suggesting to tell you what to do Bernadette, and I know all discussions of resourciol talk of it’s sensative shelf life,.......however,.... after talking with the manufacturer I actually used resoucinol that I had for ten years (yep, 10 years). Granted it had always been well sealed and in a very stable temperature (about 19c). That was four years ago and everything is still fine. I also did not use it anywhere that was stuructural. ..... just saying that the ‘one year’ shelf life may not be a total hard line in the sand.

Since this is or your mast I would definitely check with the manufacturer...not the distributor. Maybe the manufacturers rep won't be "in a meeting"?

Ohhhh, ........ I missed this was for your mast Bernadette, ............ Not sure I'd recommend my ten year old stuff.

Ned, we have our own "old" supply of (four years) resorcinol from a very reputable Australian manufacturer (M3 in West Australia) that we unfortunately cannot use. This manufacturer is currently not making any new glue at present. Hence the reason I wanted "fresh" glue and yes, given that its for the mast, its absolutely paramount we use 'in date' glue. I want to use resorcinol as I want to bright work the masts.

We have contacted the supplier who initially informed us that a "mistake" was made in the labelling! I dont believe this at all. This is a huge cop out in my opinion.

The manager of the supply company was supposed to call us back but never did. Andrew called the company and then the company's 'rep' who is allegedly getting in contact with the manufacturer to get a batch date etc. What doesn't sound right to me is that the supplier doesn't have these pertinent details to hand and needs to contact the manufacturer to obtain this basic but vital information only when someone asks. If it was a labelling mistake in the first instance then they should be able to provide dates and batch numbers immediately to rectify the problem. The website of the supplier has Technical Data Sheets which stipulate storage temperatures and longevity of the product but thats about as fare as due care seems to go.

Anyhow, its not looking good so far as Im concerned. I need a watertight, 100%, absolute, exact reassurance and proof the glue is in date but I cant see this happening.
    Im very very annoyed. This is causing me a lot of frustration, angst and disappointment.

Write to the supplier advising them that unless they can provide paperwork from the manufacturer that satisfies you, you want a refund for the cost of substandard goods.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

yes, Nick, thats very much what I need to do. in the meantime, im looking for a new supplier.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernadette View Post
    yes, Nick, thats very much what I need to do. in the meantime, im looking for a new supplier.
    I recently had the same frustrating experience with an outfit called Aircraft Spruce, they sold me a gallon of glue that was a month away from the expiration date. I was surprised at how reluctant they were to take it back. Even after I returned the glue I had to remind then to credit my card, which they eventually did but without the shipping charge. This is an outfit specializing in aircraft construction so you might think their quality control would be better. Apparently, they buy the glue in fifty-five gallon drums and decant it into gallon bottles. I found a better supplier who specializes in glues and adhesives.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ledger View Post
    I recently had the same frustrating experience with an outfit called Aircraft Spruce, they sold me a gallon of glue that was a month away from the expiration date. I was surprised at how reluctant they were to take it back. Even after I returned the glue I had to remind then to credit my card, which they eventually did but without the shipping charge. This is an outfit specializing in aircraft construction so you might think their quality control would be better. Apparently, they buy the glue in fifty-five gallon drums and decant it into gallon bottles. I found a better supplier who specializes in glues and adhesives.

Jim, thats the sort of behaviour I just don't understand about the on-suppliers...they leave themselves wide open for all sorts of litigation if they sell a product that is not what its been described as...

Send a letter to the Trade Practices guys. Shut these fraudsters down.

It's a pity Larks hasn't joined this conversation. He knows a lot about the local industry and supply chain. He might have useful knowledge and advice. Maybe pm him.

The company has had all of today to rectify the matter but no email or phone call. Cant be too hard to get a batch number and DOM?
    I'll be letting them know Im sending the product back at their expense and will be wanting a full refund.
    I have no confidence in the product nor the supplier.

An update.

after much tooing and froing...and Peter not talking to Paul type behaviour from Nightingale Supply...I have finally got the sales person to admit the company did make the "mistake" as its been termed (aka selling me out of date stock) and that they will accept the return of the goods.

BUT!

I have sent the goods back but will not get a refund until the goods have been "inspected" on return. If they applied any amount of due diligence before I was sold the goods, none of this would have occurred. They have requested "certification" from me that the goods have not been contaminated.

Nightingale Supply sent the 20 kg Resorcinol base resin in a plastic drum with no lockable cap and 4 bags of hardener powder in zip lock bags in the bottom of an oversized flimsy cardboard box...none of which had any hazardous goods labelling.

Still waiting on my money.

Ive done an international search and have found many companies do not "export" (which is understandable).

There is a few options open to me.

Alansons in the UK are making initial costings for freight/shipping to Australia (likely to be expensive).

MZ3 (Doug) in Perth, Western Australia will be making a new batch in late 2018 or early 2019. His only stumbling block at present is that he is trying to get in a supply of Macadamia Nut shell for the base in less than 20 tonne lots. I will probably hold of glueing up until he has made his new batch.

Alansons and MZ3 have been most helpful.
    Last edited by Bernadette; 08-17-2018 at 05:51 PM.