Thread: Liquid Nails

Default Liquid Nails

I am about ready to laminate the Sharpei's masts from poplar boards. I plan to use epoxy resin. There is a lot of area to cover and I wandered about using carpenter's liquid nails, the stuff that comes in a cartridge and I can buy at ACE. One fault might be that it is thick.

Is this stupid?

Default Re: Liquid Nails

Pretty much.

Substitute PL for the liquid nails, I think PL is much better, and it’s not the worst idea. I know epoxy is toughest glue we have yes. But I have been experimenting with PL, clamped up blocks soaked, froze, and smashed with a hammer them. They didn’t separate. I glueded up one hollow mast with DougFir and PL, and have used it exstensivly sometimes in 20+ mph wind with full sail up. No issues. The trick is you have to clamp it really well!!! Unlike epoxy, where you can glue air.

So is PL the best glue? No! If you don’t have any epoxy left and want to make something without ordering more, PL can work just fine. I will say this I am not sure PL is any cheaper than let’s say RAKA epoxy. But it is easy to buy and very easy to use and clean up.
    "Yeah, well, that's just, like your opinion man"
    -The Dude-

I suspect PL Premium may skin over on such a large surface. That'd be a real pain. I've used Titebond III on numerous birdsmouth spars. Anytime I can skip the epoxy I go for it.

I've also used epoxy for spars. Works great.

I've never used Liquid Nails on a boat. Smells like death. Doesn't seem like anything I'd want on my boat.

If you already own the epoxy, use it.
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

I remember test results that showed that TIII is slightly stronger than epoxy, and it's certainly less expensive, easier to clean up and non-toxic.

It's only shortcoming is it's working time. You would probably need to do the layup in 2 or 3 stages, which doesn't seem like much of a problem to me.

Well, for some the need for nice tight joinery is a problem, but a mast would be easy.

Brush or roll a coat on, let it soak in for a few minutes, apply another coat and clamp it up.

My experience with PL was not good. See
    https://boatbw.blogspot.com/2016/08/pl-failure.html

I built a stick with PL a few years ago, it was still sound when I sold the boat. That was on a 19' dory that was trailer sailed but stored outdoors under a tarp. I used carefully picked lumberyard spruce.

I've been using glues and epoxies since 1960. I don't believe there is a one part water proof glue. If the wood gets wet long enough, the glue will give way. Not all epoxies are equal. The best ones hold many times better than the cheap ones. My experience is in building and repairing mostly work boats in heavy use.
    House products are for houses. They are designed and formulated for that use. Marine products are designed to give good service in a marine environment.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeadon View Post
    I suspect PL Premium may skin over on such a large surface. That'd be a real pain. I've used Titebond III on numerous birdsmouth spars. Anytime I can skip the epoxy I go for it.

I've also used epoxy for spars. Works great.

I've never used Liquid Nails on a boat. Smells like death. Doesn't seem like anything I'd want on my boat.

If you already own the epoxy, use it.
    Yes, open time would be a problem with any of the stuffinatube. One of the advantages of epoxy.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Around about 1963-4 I built a 3 part mast in my uncles garage, I reckon I used whatever glue he had, likely PVA. That boat has been passed around the family and finally came home in 2014. I repaired the deck, Built a new rudder, and sailed it till the very end of the 2016 season, and on the last leg of the last race the glue failed in the mast, and boom too as it happened. All that was left was a thin layer of white which came of as powder under a scraper.
    Later on I picked up the stripped down rudder box and it just fell apart.
    A very precise time limit on the glues life! Now we built the hull elsewhere, and I hope better glue was used!

Titebond 3 would be my choice

Titebond 3 would be my choice

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    Around about 1963-4 I built a 3 part mast in my uncles garage, I reckon I used whatever glue he had, likely PVA. That boat has been passed around the family and finally came home in 2014. I repaired the deck, Built a new rudder, and sailed it till the very end of the 2016 season, and on the last leg of the last race the glue failed in the mast, and boom too as it happened. All that was left was a thin layer of white which came of as powder under a scraper.
    Later on I picked up the stripped down rudder box and it just fell apart.
    A very precise time limit on the glues life! Now we built the hull elsewhere, and I hope better glue was used!
    Great story! Wandering Star's furniture was largely built with yellow wood glue. In the last few years, pieces just randomly fall off, leaving pale powder. Nothing critical, stuff like spice racks and door stops. Your experience and mine suggest that the life of those glues is about 50 years.

My real-world experience with liquid nails:

I used it to bond travertine tiles to a stucco wall around a small fountain on my patio. After about five and a half years the tiles started to loosen. Investigating, I found that the liquid nails was basically dissolving. A few prods with my fingers and the tiles simply peeled off in sheets, leaving the adhesive feeling like gummy cream of wheat.
    --​Anson, M/V Kingfisher

Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. ~The Dalai Lama

I divide glue choices into three boat categories: first category for small or scaled-down prototypes and children's 'messabout' boats that you won't care if they fall apart in one to three years; second category is for small, inexpensive boats built of lesser materials and that you hope will last five years or so, and the third category is larger boats and ones built of the finest materials that you can afford and that you want to last long enough to pass on to at least your children, if not grandchildren. For category 1, liquid nails or other construction adhesives are fine. Category two, use white construction glue (not yellow carpenter's glue) in non-critical areas and epoxy in critical parts. Category three use a good brand of epoxy, applied in close adherence to the manufacturer's instructions, especially with regards to age and storage, mixing, and application temperature and humidity parameters.
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

I glued up the mast and spars for my sharpie with Titebond III, stained the wood a nice color, then used Helmsman polyurethane to protect. They only get used a handful of times each summer, but that was about ten years ago and they still look great with no glue problems.

Thank you, one and all. I see that Lowes has Titebond III for $27.00 per gallon. I will go have a look.

Now, about those poplar boards, which I understand are used as bait in termite traps...

Quote Originally Posted by Mo 'Poxy View Post
    My experience with PL was not good. See
    https://boatbw.blogspot.com/2016/08/pl-failure.html
    PL is not a type of glue. It is a brand name of a company that makes many different types of glue. The only one I would use for boatbuilding is PL Premium. It is a Polyurethane glue. I know several people that have successfully used it to build glued lap plywood boats that have lasted for years.

Steven thank you for that clarification, since I was the first one to mention just PL on this thread.Yes the PL premium is the one I have used. Made by Loctite. For the record.

F0FFD552-B5AD-4F1A-B02C-F5E41F66DF77.jpg
    "Yeah, well, that's just, like your opinion man"
    -The Dude-

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

..to save the nickel?
    Epoxy is not expensive, it is cheap!