Thread: Shop tips goldmine discovered.

Default Shop tips goldmine discovered.

I came across this gem while reading a machinists' forum. It's a wonderful series of well-illustrated articles by a fellow named Ford who, I hope, won't mind my reposting the URL. He's got a collection of old-time machinists' tricks and other commonsense shop techniques together with a number of projects for building handy shop jigs and other devices.

When you are tired of reading about the problems the uninitiated encounter working with resin-coated plywood, you'll find a few hours of interesting and educational problem-solving reading here: http://www.frets.com/HomeShopTech/hstpages.html

It occurs to me that a similarly organized thread of "old time tricks of the trade" and projects from the members of this forum would be a very useful addition. I remember reading Popular Mechanix and the like when I was a kid and loving similar short articles they'd feature every month. Today, too often everybody goes looking for something plastic made in China to solve everyday shop needs! For example: http://www.frets.com/HomeShopTech/Sh...dtpholder.html

Enjoy!
    Last edited by Bob Cleek; 07-24-2018 at 04:41 PM.

Default Re: Shop tips goldmine discovered.

Thanks for the links, Bob. Lots of great info there.

..Rick

It occurs to me that a similarly organized thread of "old time tricks of the trade" and projects from the members of this forum would be a very useful addition.
    Yes please. Five stars and a sticky for that one!

Did ones a goody.
    Thank-you
    basil

Thanks, Bob!

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Frank Ford. He, in my observation, spends time looking at other professions to see how they do things to figure out how better to do luthier work.

Quote Originally Posted by cstevens View Post
    Yes please. Five stars and a sticky for that one!
    when I first started here, for a good long while, there was a sticky in B&R , i think it was called FAQ, that was just exactly that, with a compendium of posts, links, and articles by various members, Smalser, Dave Fleming, and others. It ended up not being well curated, with lots of bad links, abd dropped out of sight.
    Steve Martinsen

Great find . . . .
    Here is another link to Frank Ford inventiveness ::
    http://www.homemadetools.net/builder/Frank+Ford_4
    This is the first lesson ye should learn: There is so much good in the worst of us, and so much bad in the best of us, it doesn't behoove any of us to speak evil of the rest of us.
    E. Cayce