Thread: First build, tons of questions

Default First build, tons of questions

Hi folks, new guy here. Iíve read through many threads and the quality of the information generated is fantastic. Hopefully Iím able to glean some more out of you guys and gals.

Iím looking to build a small (12-16í) skiff style boat. This boat will be used exclusively on small lakes. The largest body of water it will see is Kentucky Lake. The longest amount of time it will be sitting in water at a time is two weeks. Otherwise it will live on a trailer in my garage. Iím a weekend warrior boater. It will be used to cruise around with the wife and kids and fish. I have a fully stocked woodworking shop in my basement and room to build a 16 footer in my garage. I have woodworking experience but zero Boatbuilding experience.

The plans in my maybe-pile are Barons Lumberyard Skiff, Devlins Candlefish 16, and the CLC Peeler Skiff. No center console

I really enjoy a minimalist traditional look to a boat of this design (wood seats, spacered inwale) so this is how I want to build this boat. Iíd like the paint and finish options to make it look like a restored antique. This will be a fun fall/winter project.

What do you guys think of these options? Feel free to offer other suggestions, Iím completely open. Cost is definitely a concern, the LYS plans are 1/3 the Peeler Skiff.

Default Re: First build, tons of questions

Don't try to economise on the cost of the plans. If you are going to build a stock plans boat, the cost of the plans will be a very small percentage of the cost of the materials and your time.

A good set of plans, drawn with an amateur in mind, will save you time by being easily interpreted and potentially materials. You will be able to get things right first time without cutting something that is poorly described or illustrated and having to repeat the process when it doesn't fit, is wrong etc. An experienced builder will spot the snags and inconsistencies and be able to produce a good solution but as this is your first boat then it will cost you time and likely materials as well as disheartening you as progress is halted. My belief is that many projects are abandoned because the builder repeatedly runs up against problems that they do not have the techniques or skills to overcome. The constant series of "I can't do this" obstacles results in "I can't do this". Ahem! >};o)

Select the plans based on the style and performance of the boat you want or need. Get the study plans and study them, search for blogs or other information (particularly photographs) of the build and get a feel for what is involved and how difficult YOU think it will be.

But don't let the cost of the plans be the deciding factor.

I'd go for Candlefish. The vee bottom and extra chine will give you a better behaved boat in a variety of conditions and Sam says 10-30 hp is all you'll need to run it.
    There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

Thanks for these replies. The candlefish looks to be a very moderate vee. Regarding stability how to you think it compares to the LYS? I ask because my kids will be in and out of this thing and I like the added stability of a flat bottom

Another question. I have things narrowed down to the Candlefish and the LYS. What are some suggestions of boatbuilding books to supplement the plans I’ll buy.

Quote Originally Posted by Dickason View Post
    Thanks for these replies. The candlefish looks to be a very moderate vee. Regarding stability how to you think it compares to the LYS? I ask because my kids will be in and out of this thing and I like the added stability of a flat bottom
    Primary stability, that is the type of stabililty that the kids will notice getting in and out, will probably be very similar. As you say, it's not a deep vee, and Candlefish is a few inches wider overall, and from the looks of the line drawings, probably a few inches wider at the waterline where that stability comes from. Also, it's not just maximum waterline beam you should look at, but how the hull displaces water as it leans over. Flat bottom boats tend to have longer, narrower entries so you lose some volume in the bow:

So Candlefish is a slightly bigger, wider boat all around, but I'd think you'll find the differences would be nominal and both boats would be fine for the kids. You'll probably find the LYS easier and quicker to build while, as I mentioned before, the refined shape of Candlefish would be nice to have once you start using it. Just to add to the mix, did you look at any of the Jeff Spira designs?
    Last edited by JimD; 07-24-2018 at 10:25 AM.
    There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

I have checked out the Spira designs. The Seneca seems to fit. The Tillamook is probably too long for my garage.

As for boatbuilding books, you might want to start by watching videos. Plenty on line. Becoming comfortable working with epoxy and cloth sheathing, (usually but not necessarily fiberglass) will be the tricky part. Videos should help with that. You'll probably find the woodworking quite straight forward.

The LYS will be easy to board from the beach with that rocker, but it will slap the waves a lot at speeds above slow cruise. The Candlefish should ride a bit smoother.

Look at pictures and videos of both in use and check the water condition. Does one look like it has the ride you want with some chop or short waves?

Looks like there are a lot of Candlefish builds on youtube.

Have fun
    Kent
    The center console Peeler intrigues me, looks like a good way to balance crew, motor, gas, battery etc...
    Last edited by signalcharlie; 07-24-2018 at 09:25 PM.

Well, I've ordered the Lumberyard Skiff plans from Old Wharf Dory. They should be here in a few days. I spent yesterday clearing out the garage in preparation. Im sure I'll have endless questions in the coming weeks.

Good for you! Keep us posted and lots of pics!

Ken

The plans have arrived, boat #1101. I have some confusion regarding finishing. I've read a ton of threads on several forums and there doesnt seem to be a consensus. Some people fully encapsulate the entire boat in cloth. Some only cloth the outside and give the inside coats of epoxy only. Ive also read where fully coating the boat prohibits it from breathing thus promoting rot. It's all pretty confusing. I'll likely be using MDO. What is standard practice here for a boat like this. Keep in mind this thing wont sit in water for longer than a week or two at a time during vacation. It will live on a trailer and be taken out every other weekend or so.