Thread: Painting questions

Default Painting questions

109F today....but when it cools off, I am going to take a shot at rolling and tipping some interlux Brightside on the decks.

I am thinking the 1/8 foam rollers and a 3 badger brush. Are these the right tools?

Thanks

Tom

Default Re: Painting questions

No way, no how would I attempt to paint anything on a 109 degree day. Even when the ambient temperature drops, that deck will retain the heat. Also, on most decks there is just too much in the way of cutting in that would have to be done and any (questionable) advantage of rolling is non-existent. Save your expensive badger brush for varnishing and use a decent quality bristle brush. Since you can't paint in the heat you're having, find a cool place with air conditioning and read up on how to paint. Seriously.

Bob just said it all! Don't forget the Penetrol and emergency turpentine or #10 thinner to make it flow better when your brush starts to drag.
    Jay

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Greer View Post
    Bob just said it all! Don't forget the Penetrol and emergency turpentine or #10 thinner to make it flow better when your brush starts to drag.
    Jay
    Boy Howdy!
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Yes. In the fall. Gathering supplies. Thanks.

Brightsides sets up FAST in the best of conditions. You have very little time to tip it off, maybe 20 seconds before it's too late to brush out mistakes at, say, 75 degrees outside

Yes. In the fall. Gathering supplies. Thanks.
    "When it cools off" meaning September, not "when it cools off" meaning this evening, when it will undoubtedly be a refreshing 97 degrees in the shade...

Penetrol Don't get near a brush without it A slower drying paint ...kero,,for a little thinning.these few things will up your chances for success.
    Cheers

Test any of the new generation paints on scrap with whatever you plan to add to them to make sure it actually works before you mix a batch of it and put it on your boat. I put a bit of Penetrol in a quart of one of the modern marine enamels a few years ago and the stuff never dried. Luckily, I had tried it on scrap plywood to check the color and it never made it to the boat. Considering what a royal pain in the ass it is to fix serious paint problems, I was very happy it stayed in the can and only cost me about $40.

Todd is right on this one for sure! I have no problem with Interlux though. Kirby's is safe with turpentine as a thinner. I use turps and penetrol when my brush starts to drag. Turps and penetrol are known as "Slide" in the trade. Always test before you use it. At the price of paint today, you can't afford not to. The EPA sure has screwed up the necessary products that keep a wooden boat afloat!
    Jay