Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Came across this 100 year old Pilot Cutter project

Default Came across this 100 year old Pilot Cutter project

Whilst on the lookout for a "woody" I stumbled across this. It would appear to be a fine project with most of the major labour done. Still lots to do & a few years worth of work obviously.

As a Virgin woody enthusiast but handy with the tools would this be a sensible first time project? I have the space available, a fair bit of spare time on my hands & a level of enthusiasm for something like this. It's bang on the sort of thing I've been looking to find.

It popped up on ebay it's local'ish too so will enquire about having a look. Is it anyone's from here?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Classic-S...sAAOSwn6dbUYnZ

Default Re: Came across this 100 year old Pilot Cutter project

You would have to be very, very serious to take on a project like that with no other experience. It could be done, but without knowing you or your situation it's hard to say.

Dedicated amateurs have done amazing things.

The historical significance of a boat that old is an important consideration, though she was almost certainly not a pilot cutter at that length.

Cool boat though, and basically free.

What you need to do is determine if you will have 1000-1500 hours required to finish the boat in addition to the cost of properly fitting it out.

And consider value
    Yacht costings come down to cost of hull = cost of outfit = cost of spars and sails= cost of engine and propulsion gear.
    Half of the hull and some of the rig is costing you 2000. Work out how much the rest, sails +rigging, outfit, engine and sterngear will also cost.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

30 years.. the guy never saw her in the H20.. sad.. this is why everyone should write reality checks.
    Denise, Bristol PA, Oday30, Anchor Yacht Club, On tidal Delaware River. my current project; http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...0-Ducker-Resto

Quote Originally Posted by cptsideways View Post
    Whilst on the lookout for a "woody" I stumbled across this. It would appear to be a fine project with most of the major labour done. Still lots to do & a few years worth of work obviously.

As a Virgin woody enthusiast but handy with the tools would this be a sensible first time project? I have the space available, a fair bit of spare time on my hands & a level of enthusiasm for something like this. It's bang on the sort of thing I've been looking to find.

It popped up on ebay it's local'ish too so will enquire about having a look. Is it anyone's from here?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Classic-S...sAAOSwn6dbUYnZ
    No, this looks like a sweet li'll cutter and well worth restoring (lets hope the work already done has been done correctly) but a boat of this size and complexity would not make a good first boat project.

She could well have been a pilot cutter, if she worked out of Milford Haven, she could have served ships that had wandered North. Certainly a seakindly hull.

would a typical Pilot boat of Pembrokshire yards not have framed up of sawn timbers o' English Oak?

I'm very tempted to go and have a look, would be keen to find out just what is included. I'm well aware of the ongoing costs to finish something like this. I'm pretty proficient at anything DIY & boats in general, with a deft line in finding stuff at minimal cost.

The ad is a great example of not being able to finish something like this.

Pretty hull shape,... but what is there is just a beginning toward a finished boat.

It's staggering project even for the highly experienced or a full service Wooden Boat Yard. I'd only suggest strongly that you be realistic, know your limitations. I can almost bet the owner that's had at 30 years already felt the same way you feel right now.

And if that isn't enough, the costs are staggering also!
    Last edited by DeniseO30; 07-22-2018 at 09:37 PM.
    Denise, Bristol PA, Oday30, Anchor Yacht Club, On tidal Delaware River. my current project; http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...0-Ducker-Resto

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

27 feet?

I agree, and there is a huge plus that won't be the case with many other projects - you know exactly what you're getting.

Regards,
    John.

See now I want to agree with Denise and I want to agree with on the border. It's not a small project but it's not a 50' schooner with bad keel bolts and rotten garboards either. Gotta have some perspective. If the hull work is actually done and sound and the OP has a place to work on it without paying a yard bill then why not? But I'd also say that not having a large back yard or similar place to put it would be a deal breaker right there. Do not, under any circumstances, buy a project that you have to pay to store somewhere. Learn from my mistakes! I wrote a thread about that a while back if you are curious about how NOT to go about it.

...had to dig for it but here:

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...and-redemption

Don't read it right before bed. Nightmares and all that.

I haven't completed a restoration. I have seen a boat restored and launched without an interior.

A small boat takes almost as long to complete as a larger boat because you have to make just as many parts as in a larger boat. To finish the boat it requires the time to do the job, there's no short cuts. Everything takes longer to do when a person hasn't done it before. If he has a job, a life and/or a wife he will only get one full day a week on the boat if that.

Quote Originally Posted by navydog View Post
    A small boat takes almost as long to complete as a larger boat because you have to make just as many parts as in a larger boat. To finish the boat it requires the time to do the job, there's no short cuts. Everything takes longer to do when a person hasn't done it before. If he has a job, a life and/or a wife he will only get one full day a week on the boat if that.
    That's very true. I say that from experience.

Sensible and old wooden project boats over around 20 feet loa generally don’t go together. Certainly it’s in the realm of possible and if it’s the boat for you then go for it, but if you’ve got to ask...

There’s a reason why I didn’t ask anyone else’s opinion (except for my lovely wife) when the harbor master called me.
    -Jim

Sucker for a pretty face.
    1934 27' Blanchard Cuiser ~ Amazon, Ex. Emalu
    19'6" Caledonia Yawl ~ Sparrow

Getting into trouble one board at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by jsjpd1 View Post
    Sensible and old wooden project boats over around 20 feet loa generally don’t go together. Certainly it’s in the realm of possible and if it’s the boat for you then go for it, but if you’ve got to ask...

There’s a reason why I didn’t ask anyone else’s opinion (except for my lovely wife) when the harbor master called me.
    Ha! I didn't ask anyone other than my wife about Petrel either. And then I waited over a year, until I had finished the first round of hull work and got her in the water, before my first post here. Definitely didn't want anyone to tell me all the reasons why I shouldn't, or why it was impossible, or, or, or...

Quote Originally Posted by jsjpd1 View Post

Jim, your thread is to my mind the perfect example of a sensible yet extensive resto. Yet without the level of skill you displayed, you would not have gotten away (on here) with many of the choices you made. So I second your advice - think hard before you ask any question here!

I think it looks like a great first project, provided that you know what you're getting into. One of the things I liked about buying my boat as basically a bare hull, was that it was a blank canvas I could make as I wanted it, within reason.

I think that as you know it's a great sailing hull, that will motivate you to get to the finish line.

Best of luck, please give my love to Gweek when you go down there.

Likewise, I didn’t say anything until after the fact either.

I get a tingle "down there", thinking of that wee boat in my own back yard.

“As a Virgin woody enthusiast but handy with the tools would this be a sensible first time project? I have the space available, a fair bit of spare time on my hands & a level of enthusiasm for something like this. It's bang on the sort of thing I've been looking to find.”

I think what you wrote above is key. In my opinion, in the end you are the only one who can answer your question. If the hull and fastesning are in good shape, then yes someone, who is focused and positive, can spend a handful of years and finish it up. It would then be a very good boat. Or it could turn into a depression engine. The choice would be yours. What I like about that kind of project, is that is has a good “kickstarter” built into it Gets you past the decision phase, off the chair, down the path, and is inspiring from the start. In an good situation at least.
    "Yeah, well, that's just, like your opinion man"
    -The Dude-

Good thing I'm many thousand miles away! I'd be the one enjoying the next couple of years working on a lovely boat. Go for it!

You might want to check with Leo who is restoring the cutter "Tally Ho" in Sequim Washington. He is posting on this forum just in case you are not aware of the project.
    Jay

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Greer View Post
    You might want to check with Leo who is restoring the cutter "Tally Ho" in Sequim Washington. He is posting on this forum just in case you are not aware of the project.
    Jay
    I've been following his thread with huge interest! Hoping to get up to visit over the PTWBF weekend/week.

Give it a go, but only if you appreciate that all money and time spent on this project is purely for fun, there is no financial upside. I see about 5 years of steady pottering
    whatever rocks your boat

Quote Originally Posted by Paul G. View Post
    Give it a go, but only if you appreciate that all money and time spent on this project is purely for fun, there is no financial upside. I see about 5 years of steady pottering
    4 months

too nice a boat to have a newb ruin it... let someone who knows what they are doing take this project on.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Noyes View Post
    too nice a boat to have a newb ruin it... let someone who knows what they are doing take this project on.
    Because people who know what they are doing are just lining up for the chance to restore it? Better a "newb" with the desire to work on it than to have it sit and rot because all the experts are otherwise engaged.

That hull needs a roof over it soon or it will be lost. A beginner could do it. That person could get enough free advice from here to drive them crazy.

It's a project that the person involved has to be able to finish what they started. Otherwise all the time and money put into it is wasted.

I'd say the bigger question is this: Is this really the boat you want to sail and care for? It will be a head-turner, no question there. But it will also be a high-maintenance boat that isn't ideal for the kind of sailing most people do. After it's back in the water and the novelty has worn off, will it remain the boat of your dreams?
    -Dave

That person could get enough free advice from here to drive them crazy.
    No comment!