Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 23

Thread: Fair Maid, 30 Eric Cox sloop, 1951

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

Default Re: Fair Maid, 30 Eric Cox sloop, 1951

Quote Originally Posted by Aquinian View Post
    These should do the job, after a bit of a clean up and a re-seal.

Attachment 20778

Nice.
    I did a job on a couple of oil lamps this week. They'd gone pretty far - shame on me for neglecting them.
    I did; equal parts self raising flour and salt. add vingar until toothpaste consistency. Slather on and leave for 30mins. Really great result. Did the bulk of the work.
    The next day i painted on brasso with a brush, left for 15mins and rubbed off, buffed up - they're sparkling.
    Stoked!

My forward vent cowl is way forward, about 1 meter abaft the stem. Never gets fouled by the jib or anything else. It vents into the chain locker. There's a vent hole between the chain locker and the vee-berth. Always face forward on the mooring/anchor, facing aft underway - when i remember.
    "People should be able to access these benefits [Social Welfare] as a matter of right, with no more loss of their own standards of self-respect than would be involved in collecting from an insurance company the proceeds of an endowment policy on which they have been paying premiums for years."
    Robert Menzies - Liberal Party (Conservative) Prime Minister of Australia.

Hoping to get it fitted this weekend, rain permitting.
    Wow that will look awesome,good luck with the weather.

Regarding forward facing portholes I have them on Wee Barkie and I love them. While I do have to be vigilant in closing them before crossing the Bar, they also provide year round ventilation while at anchor or tied to my mooring with the help of a small vinyl tarp which keeps the rain out.

Quote Originally Posted by gypsie View Post
    Nice.
    I did a job on a couple of oil lamps this week. They'd gone pretty far - shame on me for neglecting them.
    I did; equal parts self raising flour and salt. add vingar until toothpaste consistency. Slather on and leave for 30mins. Really great result. Did the bulk of the work.
    The next day i painted on brasso with a brush, left for 15mins and rubbed off, buffed up - they're sparkling.
    Stoked!

My forward vent cowl is way forward, about 1 meter abaft the stem. Never gets fouled by the jib or anything else. It vents into the chain locker. There's a vent hole between the chain locker and the vee-berth. Always face forward on the mooring/anchor, facing aft underway - when i remember.
    Typically airflow in a boat is from aft to forward, so you may do better with the cowl facing aft. There tends to be a low pressure zone behind the prow, and behind the cabin, I suppose.

Sporadic rain and the usual chaos, lack of planning, unrealistic expectations, etc. conspired to slow our progress yesterday, but we are getting close to a glue-up.

7AA68044-00CA-413B-9733-7F020131E6A3.jpg

17D43409-CC1D-483E-A814-3DF251D0AFED.jpg

B07AE026-D4A1-49BB-8032-255EF61ABB33.jpg

Offcut showing the caulking slightly proud after sanding.

3EC9CEB7-7242-41A7-B30C-74615FBD84E2.jpg

Teak marine ply ply for the cabin sides.

46F33263-C11E-47CC-AF59-F6E9E60AF51D.jpg

It looks like you're not going to push nails through your teak into your cabin top - but after my very recent experience, be wary of water getting trapped between teak and deck; http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...New-Deck/page2
    Not sure how you avoid it.
    "People should be able to access these benefits [Social Welfare] as a matter of right, with no more loss of their own standards of self-respect than would be involved in collecting from an insurance company the proceeds of an endowment policy on which they have been paying premiums for years."

Don't do a veneer of teak. Sorry but I think faux teak decks are BS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12mm thick strips, Phil. It’s technically a veneer, I guess, since it’s glued to a sub-deck.

Thanks Gypsie, no nails, and butyl rubber bedding under the fittings. No system is perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Don't do a veneer of teak. Sorry but I think faux teak decks are BS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    so Aquinian has been working on his deck for weeks if not months spent thousands and you come in with a comment like that as his glueing it down???
    how is that helpful?
    You don't give any reasons, any ideas to make it better, any potential problems to look out for...
    im guessing it's posts like this why Andrew patrol stopped posting???

Sorry to interrupt your thread Aquinian. But this needs pointing out. The guy is board or something???

your obviously spending the time, thought and money on this upgrade. May you get many happy years with it!
    I look forward to seeing it down

Thanks Gypsie, no nails, and butyl rubber bedding under the fittings. No system is perfect.
    Sounds good. Any chance of epoxy/glass to the cabin top first? Create a complete impermeable layer between the two? (that would mean epoxy inside too i suppose and then it just gets complicated).
    Maybe i'm being paranoid on your behalf, but when water gets under, and it is prone to do such things, it has no way out - except down.
    But there's a bit of crown there so water will probably run off reliably.

Drip molding for the edge of the cabin top......

Geftb,

Don't worry about Phil, I think he was just writing too briefly on a phone.

Gypsie, the cabin top is already coated in some kind of epoxy (probably penetrating epoxy paint like Everdure), but we're going to slather it with epoxy and stick the plastic panel to that, to which our teak is already glued. So, from bottom to top, marine ply, epoxy, pvc sheet, epoxy, teak with TDS caulking between the strips. That's a lot of impermeable layers. Of course, that can be a problem itself - a leak into any single one of them can cause issues that remain invisible until it's too late. My main confidence comes from the astoundingly expensive caulking product, which has an amazing reputation for integrity over decades. http://www.teakdecking.com/index.php...=12&Itemid=133 (From Yacht Grot in Fremantle, the distributor nationally, it's just under $500 per box of sausages (x12) inc. GST).

I'll also be making sure that any penetrations are well bedded with butyl. Butyl lasts for many decades, at least, without going hard etc., so that's as good as you can get also.

My deck (as opposed to the cabin top) is glass over ply, and it's a good solid lay-up. It's in great condition, except where leaks have occurred at penetrations for fittings. I've gotten nearly all the deck fittings off and only found two patches of rot, both under the pushpit mounts on the transom, and only one of them is very bad. Both will be easily repaired.

I've bought enough Burmese teak to lay a plank deck also, but we'll leave that for a year or two. We'll need to template our deck, make the panels, haul out, remove all rigging and deck fittings, glue our deck panels down, then re-fit everything, so it's a massive job. But she was launched with a proper teak deck in 1951, so I think it's worth doing. In the mean time we're going to re-paint the deck with a "canvas" colour.

Regards,
    John.

Yeah sorry, quick comment on the phone and it came across a bit harsh. I'm a bit over teak over ply decks, because mine needs fixing. I think this will look great. The method is really interesting, never seen that before. I hope it goes well.

Progress. Dutchman in the cabin side.

4ECAFF3D-B46D-4DD9-9FD9-4394F7DA64E1.jpg

Prepped and applied epoxy sealant to top and sides.

1CD030CC-76EA-4B3E-AD72-F9BBEEAE2342.jpg

F1836C08-9D0C-43C2-883F-35788EAEDAED.jpg

9A57E47F-34CB-4454-85E2-646FB9CDBCBA.jpg

Sealing coat to the back of a new teak ply cabin side dress piece.

23EF0AFD-1A59-4845-AB46-37BEC010DA3B.jpg

The sun disappeared, irritatingly, but we got the cabin front and the port side, and half of the decking fitted.

99831F62-7F68-4976-AC9A-0FF1630E43A6.jpg

Better pictures when time and sunlight permit!

Regards,
    John.

Rot under the pushpit mounts. Previous repair very badly done.

33129E8D-BA13-4ECC-896F-8F8BDBF06B0C.jpg

15696B18-2D17-4B3D-A87F-3F43F516775C.jpg

That looks great. Really terrific.
    Nice one.

Quote Originally Posted by gypsie View Post
    That looks great. Really terrific.
    Nice one.
    yes sir!

jim

Rot under the pushpit mounts. Previous repair very badly done.

33129E8D-BA13-4ECC-896F-8F8BDBF06B0C.jpg

15696B18-2D17-4B3D-A87F-3F43F516775C.jpg
    My only advice would be, don't be shy. If you are at good ply 2 inches out, go another 4. It's just as easy to replace a square foot of ply as a few square inches, and those rot spores have a nasty habit of travelling through ply. Make your cuts at a 45 or so degree angle, so the patch has physical,support as well as just epoxy. Belt and braces. Love those multi tools, but the blades blunt quickly. Gentle pressure, less heat seems to help.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    My only advice would be, don't be shy. If you are at good ply 2 inches out, go another 4. It's just as easy to replace a square foot of ply as a few square inches, and those rot spores have a nasty habit of travelling through ply. Make your cuts at a 45 or so degree angle, so the patch has physical,support as well as just epoxy. Belt and braces. Love those multi tools, but the blades blunt quickly. Gentle pressure, less heat seems to help.

Thanks Phil, I intended to re-cut with angles to form scarfs, as you suggest. The initial aim was to get the soft wood out and see what is under there. The advice to cut more than less is well taken! I'll go out another few inches each side.

Regards,
    John.

Half a day on the boat...

Daylight photos of last week’s work.

8852A257-E489-4875-9954-B671D8472EF8.jpg

FF47EE69-7A28-4872-9237-FF0DD20E471C.jpg

Ready for for a dutchman.

5BCF6972-AED5-4ED2-8BB0-83C825A13776.jpg

FC3D2D0E-34F0-4DCD-A0DA-D3C4C968AC80.jpg

Hey, it fits!

524677FC-360A-4B26-A858-2B4D88E05F10.jpg

Tried a creative clamping solution using the tiller, and managed instead to lift the rudder off its gudgeons...

Had to move the boat close to shore, strip off, and spend twenty long, grunting minutes wrestling it back on. Won’t make that mistake again.

Regards,
    John.

That's funny! Thanks for sharing.