Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 1011

Thread: Fair Maid, 30 Eric Cox sloop, 1951

Default Re: Fair Maid, 30 Eric Cox sloop, 1951

I'll cast my vote with the two above...lots of work, but well worth it for several practical reasons:
    At least some of those fasteners (likely most) are leaking, maybe not a lot of water, but over time thats what will kill boats like that. Also, a full proper paint coating (complete seal-under everything too) will last longer, as the paints almost always fail at those taped-off hardware bits. And, as cited, taping around all that stuff, while quicker than doing it right, takes some time that could go to doing a proper job. So, thats my vote, but of course you're they guy trying to go sailing, so no criticisms from me if you go the quickest route.
    Brian

I’m all for doing things right. It could always be a next winter job though...?

If you want to sail this season,pull a few fastenings at random to see if they are sound.then paint round the others and go sailing.At the end of the season take them off and repaint,knowing you won't have to be so thorough for a year or two after doing it properly.

Quote Originally Posted by John Meachen View Post
    If you want to sail this season,pull a few fastenings at random to see if they are sound.then paint round the others and go sailing.At the end of the season take them off and repaint,knowing you won't have to be so thorough for a year or two after doing it properly.
    Or just paint over the fittings. Then at the end of the season remove fittings and clean them. While they are off sand and paint the deck.

Quote Originally Posted by Geftb View Post
    Im all for doing things right. It could always be a next winter job though...?
    Sounds like you're planning on being around, eh?
    http://fairmaid.blogspot.com.au/

"It's dawning on me that I should have worked out the tumbler details more in advance, rather than rely on bluster and over confidence. But that's just silly." Jim Ledger.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquinian View Post
    Sounds like you're planning on being around, eh?
    Just trying to organise my west Aus passport. If you blokes ever let us back in that is.

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

Pull the fitting while your in the yard. Unless you plan to bring her onto the hard like that again, you're not likely to get an opportunity to do it as easily.
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.