Thread: Washington State Antifouling Paint Law

Default Washington State Antifouling Paint Law

As of last week, it is now illegal to buy or apply copper based anti-fouling paint on a recreational boat in Washington state. ****

What are we wooden-boaters to do? In preparation for this law going into effect I tried Pacifica Plus from Interlux- a copper free paint. It was terrible. I had a forest of grass within weeks of painting. I looked worse with a fresh paint job than the hulks in the marina that hadn't moved in years.

The experience left me skeptical.

Anyone have a copper free bottom paint that actually works? For those of us with carvel bottoms having old ablative copper paint the epoxy formulations do not seem like an easy transition. I would prefer to stick with a compatible paint if possible, this rules out coppercoat which I'm not sure would be legal either.

Is there anything that will stop shipworms? The literature for the paints only discuss barnacles and algae and grass type growth.

Somebody has this figured out I hope.

The fishing fleet appears to be exempt, which is bad for me as I'm sure they would demand a product that actually worked.

****Edit: It looks like the governor actually delayed the implementation for 1 year, so we now have until 2021. The reason was that copper free paints were found to be worse for the environment than copper! What a circus.
    Last edited by J.Madison; 01-10-2020 at 01:27 PM.

Default Re: Washington State Antifouling Paint Law

Yikes. I've been using Seahawk AF-33 which is definitely not copper free. It's what most wooden fishing boats use around here. But Snoose is a fishing boat converted to pleasure, so doubt I will be exempt. Glad they postponed it for a year at least, maybe they'll come up with a solution in the meantime.

I also use the AF-33, and am happy with it.

I looked up the law that pushes the ban out to 2021. Looks like they decided to exempt wood boats! Maybe we do have a lobby in Olympia after all! It appears we would still have to buy the paint out of state. I don't enjoy hurting the environment, so if there is a better alternative that works I'd be happy to try. But it has to actually work!

RCW 70.300.020

Antifouling paint containing copperRestrictions on sale and application.

(1) Beginning January 1, 2021, no manufacturer, wholesaler, retailer, or distributor may sell or offer for sale in this state any new recreational water vessel manufactured on or after January 1, 2021, with antifouling paint containing copper. This restriction does not apply to wood boats.
    (2) Beginning January 1, 2021, antifouling paint that is intended for use on a recreational water vessel and that contains more than 0.5 percent copper may not be offered for sale in this state.
    (3) Beginning January 1, 2021, antifouling paint containing more than 0.5 percent copper may not be applied to a recreational water vessel in this state. This restriction does not apply to wood boats.

I've been using an E Paint product. They are local and know these waters. Different locations and different boat missions all mean different paints.

Time to stock up on AF33...

And/or use this as the justification I've been looking for to get SCUBA certified and buy a drysuit. Even with a former creosote plant-now-superfund clean up site at the entrance, Eagle Harbor is a nutrient rich environment.
    Steve

Boats, like whiskey, are all good.
    R.D Culler

What Ian said.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Go fishing once in a while?

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Well, that was what, 4 or 5 years bein a bona fide law abider... between being a criminal pot smoker , to now becoming an illegal copper painter !

http://www.yachtpaint.com/can/diy/pr...mkote-xxx.aspx

I scrape, sand and recoat this product once a year, or so, on a tidal grid. Seems to work for me, in BC waters. / Jim

If you scrape a bottom on a tide grid around here you mind find yourself roomies with Bernie Madoff.

Why would that be Ron? Tarps to control the waste, scuff sanding with a block sander, Bottomcote is tack dry before immersion. What's the problem? / Jim

Cops. Rules and regs. Busy neighbors. Do gooders. Lip service .
    these are the problems

You might consider getting a commercial fishing license. The real problem is that few of the legislators that write such laws are boat people!
    Bird

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Greer View Post
    You might consider getting a commercial fishing license. The real problem is that few of the legislators that write such laws are boat people!
    Bird
    that is the lip service i mentioned. if yer boat is OVER 80 feet, the law does not apply.
    If its a military, cop , or USCG... nope. does not apply.
    commercial fishin vessel ...you guessed it..exempt.
    lip.service.
    (I have TIN paint on my boat now...eat cher heart out )

As anti fouling paint can be pretty costly I would expect there might be an economic benefit in large marina basins to go to a service agreement with an operator of a ROV scrubber. Let's face it it, many boats don't leave their slips too often. It's nice to see this legislation still takes into account the boats that really need copper anti fouling.

We don't need all the boats to not have copper, just the majority of them.

Mark

Yet another misguided action by Big Government(I would name a party, but this is not the Bilge) to use the marine industry and boaters as easy targets to pass useless rules that do nothing for marine environment viewed macroly. Just like the Boatyards getting shook down by environmental groups, when they settle, the money goes to the environmental group to go after another boatyard.
    When the legislature decides it has big enough cojones to go after the copper and other things from brake pads that get washed into the Sound via the storm drain system, that means the parking lots upstream from the Boatyards will have to do the same lousy mitigation that the yards have been forced to do. Trust me, the lawyers parking lots will fight back.

Bring back TBT

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

Another Washington State law change; as of February 29, WA State will no longer fund the pumpout boats through the Federal Clean Vessel Act. It will be left to the companies to see if they can make a profit. Several have already announced they are going out of business.