Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: 11 Dead as Thunderstorm Overwhelms "Duck" boat.

Default 11 Dead as Thunderstorm Overwhelms "Duck" boat.

[IMc - This is a developing story. If you use the link at the end of the C&P you can get video.]

11 dead as tourist boat capsizes in MO; others still missing
    Thursday, July 19th 2018, 10:54 pm EDT
    Friday, July 20th 2018, 2:16 am EDT
    By RNN StaffCONNECT

(RNN) Eleven people have died and five have gone missing in a duck boat accident in Branson, MO.

Among the deceased, at least one was a child, authorities said.

The tourist boat apparently capsized and sank at Table Rock Lake during severe weather Thursday evening.

"We did have a severe thunderstorm," said Eric Nielsen, spokesman for Southern Stone County Fire Protection.

He added that the severe weather was a contributing factor in the accident.

"I believe it was caused by the weather, yes," Nielsen said.

Stone County Sheriff Doug Rader also said the weather was a probable factor.

Nielsen said he believed most of the fatalities were caused by drowning. He said several patients had been sent to the hospital, with more passengers still missing.

A number of agencies and dive teams assisted in the rescue effort late into Thursday night. The dive teams halted their operations around 11 p.m. CT, and will resume their search Friday morning, Rader said.

According to Rader, the boat had 31 people on board, KY3 reported.

Five people aboard the boat were still unaccounted for as of late Thursday.

Rader said seven other passengers had been injured, and that one was in serious condition.

The CoxHealth Medical Center in Springfield, MO, had earlier tweeted that it was treating seven victims, two in critical condition, at its Branson branch.

Family members or others searching for victims are being directed to Branson City Hall.

National Weather Service meteorologist Steve Linderberg told the Associated Press that a top wind speed of 63 mph had been measured at Branson Airport around 7 p.m. Thursday, just around the time of the accident. Linderberg said winds were likely stronger over Table Rock Lake.

http://www.walb.com/story/38689213/1...-still-missing

Default Re: 11 Dead as Thunderstorm Overwhelms "Duck" boat.

There have been concerns about the safety of these vehicles for some time. Popular as they are, I can foresee a time when it will be illegal to transport paying passengers in them.
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Reportedly an 80 knot gust. That's tough on any small boat.
    Ratus ratus bilgeous snipeous!

You must be the change you wish to see in the world."
    Mahatma Gandhi

There's a surprising number of DUKWs around. "DUKW from GMC model terms: D, Designed in 1942; U, Utility; K, All-wheel drive; W, Dual-Tandem rear axles.

But many "Duck Tours" like the one here use the slightly newer and larger LARC (Lighter, Amphibious, Resupply, Cargo)

The DUKW was designed largely by Rod Stevens working on Cape Cod from an old truck frame. There was a shipwreck off Nauset and the Coast Guard could not get out. Stevens and his buddies trundled over the dunes, launched through the surf and saved the day. I've ridden a DUKW owned by an oceanographer through moderate Oregon surf. The shape is great for surfing. But with high awnings and such, perhaps the DUKW looses some of its seaworthiness in confused seas and high winds. For the older DUKWs, maintenance and the constant struggle with corosion makes keeping those decades old units going a challenge.

Not to refute your figure, Bob, but to add from another source: The news report that I heard this morning on CBC Radio 1 said that the gusts were up to 100 kph (62 mph, 54 knots). Still a lot of wind for a 'boat' with about two feet of freeboard and precious little reserve buoyancy.

A few years ago a duck boat, one of a fleet owned by a tour operator, caught fire while packed with tourists on the River Thames (London).

Luckily firemen and other craft on the water were able to intervene in time, although some people came away with burn injuries, which saw the authorities contemplating the removal of such craft from service.

This is an appalling tragedy. Condolences for the friends and families of those affected. It's certainly another lesson in not going on a boat if a storm is forecast. Storms like the one in Missouri are quite common around here.

I rode a Duck tour in Halifax. This was Harbour Hopper. It seemed safe enough. There's also a Duck tour running in Chattanooga, TN that I was thinking about riding on. But not if a storm is forecast. I'll just eat the cost of the ticket in the worst case.
    Will

We have had a lot of unpredictable storms in this part of the country lately. They can just pop up out of nowhere. It's best not to even be on the water but I am sure a profit motive was involved.

Is that you in there, Will?

I did that tour once when I was in Halifax.
    Pet photography, the degree you get when you fail aromatherapy - Duck D.

If it was in 2009 it might have been.
    Will

When properly maintained, the DUKW can be washed over by waves without compromising the basic bouyancy, but having seen our local DUKWs (years past) and LARCs (current) I am not so confident in either their basic integrity or their pumps.

The LARC's, by the way, are a wonderful platform for certain fisheries. What they can't float over, they roll over.

Last news, two more bodies recovered. At least three to go - some ambiguity as to the exact count aboard.

As I understand it, Transport Canada's concerns about DUKW's is maintenance. As they are essentially an exclusively military vehicle, TC is worried that a.) the vehicles do not receive the same level of maintenance that they would get within the military and b.) private owners would not have access to the spare parts required for proper maintenance and would therefore jury-rig repairs with incompatible parts and materials, thereby compromising the vessel.

But, they are popular and make money for the operators, so TC is loathe to restrict entrepreneurism because it is merely worried.

There was a horrible crash involving a DUKW on the Aurora Bridge in Seattle a few years back. IIRC the cause was traced back to a known maintenance/failure point in the steering knuckle. The fleet is aging, parts have got to be a problem to source, I wonder how much longer they will be viable.

On the other hand millions of tourists have had unremarkable rides on these things. I imagine it is a bit like a traveling carnival, low margins and no money if the ride is down but you get away with it until suddenly you don't.
    Steve

Boats, like whiskey, are all good.
    R.D Culler

We did a duck boat tour of Dublin in ‘14, before leaving the road for the water the vehicle stopped and flotation bags were attached to the outside and all aboard were required to put on PFDs. We then proceeded to do about fifteen minutes in a enclosed pond to see the back of Bono’s house, then back on land all gear off and we resumed our street tour.

They seem fun but a lot of these duck boats are POS and often the drivers ill-prepared, incompetent or negligent. considering the high rates of accidents maybe they should be removed as a touring conveyance until increased safeguards are enacted.
    Be wary of your critics, at peace with your decisions, and work hard to be a better man.

TC report on the sinking of Lady Duck in Ottawa. She was not a DUKW, but Appendix D of the report covers the sinking in Arkansas of the Miss Majestic in 1999, which was a DUKW and in which 13 people drowned.

http://www.tsb.gc.ca/eng/rapports-re...0/m02c0030.asp
    http://www.tadroberts.ca
    http://blog.tadroberts.ca/
    http://www.passagemakerlite.com

A sad occurance, indeed. I hope it will remind folks that such endeavors need to be adequately regulated for the sake of public safety.

We have them around here. I've always wondered about their seaworthiness. But here, they confine themselves to the Willamette river... which is pretty benign.

I think, though, if I were to take such a tour, it'd be the Brew Barge. 2 hours of seeing the area from the water, whilst sipping good beer. Who knows how seaworthy... but you probably won't care...

David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by mmd View Post
    There have been concerns about the safety of these vehicles for some time. Popular as they are, I can foresee a time when it will be illegal to transport paying passengers in them.
    I would suspect an overreaction. I understand there were life jackets available, but not sure anyone put one on.

A few years back one got stuck on the Delaware River by Philly. A tug with a barge didn't see it and ran it over.
    How do we form a mutiny? Our new captain is navigating poorly.

Prior to the accident on Aurora Bridge, in which there were several fatalities, referenced by Stromberg above, the driver was also the narrator/comedian/song leader. So when the steering broke, he had one hand on the wheel and one hand holding a mic. They now require two operators aboard with a driver and a separate narrator/comedian/song leader.

Sad.

That duck boats ( DUCW and LARC) are so common in tour service is at least partially responsible for their seemingly high accident rate.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

I just listened to an interview on CBC Radio 1 with the lawyer who represented the families of those killed in the last DUKW accident in the USA. His advice was unequivocal - ban them, outlaw them, destroy them. He said all the same things that I did - poor maintenance, no spare parts availability, no reserve buoyancy. Also, he noted that the USCG recommendation brought about by the last deadly accident - that canopies on the boats present an escape impediment to those aboard, especially if wearing lifejackets - has been uniformly ignored by operators.

The death toll is now seventeen.

(Edit to correct 'DUKW' from 'DUKH' - mmd)
    Last edited by mmd; 07-20-2018 at 05:16 PM.

Let's try to use proper nomenclature in regard to boats, folks, especially here on the WBF. The boat in this story is a DUKW, commonly known as a "Duck". Being a Midwesterner, I know that they have been used to haul tourists around the Wisconsin Dells ever since they were available cheap following WW2. A "Duck Boat" (so called in virtually every story in this 24 hr news cycle) is a one or two-person small boat used for hunting ducks or geese. A DUKW is not a "Duck Boat". According to another marine interest forum, DUKW's are equipped with a prodigious chain-driven bilge pump designed to be able to keep up with inflow from a 2" hole in the hull.

How many people take tours in these around the world during the course of a year? How many casualties?

Then one could wonder why modern replicas aren't made
    How do we form a mutiny? Our new captain is navigating poorly.

Table Rock is a big lake. A couple of us went there one summer in the 1970s to surf kayaks over spring break because the waves tended to get so big on windy days. The video of this duck in the big chop before the capsize pretty well clues you in on what was likely to happen next. What I can't understand is why the passengers were not instructed to put on their life jackets, as there are lots of them strapped to the underside of the canopy. Waves or not, it's pretty hard to drown in Missouri in the summer if you are wearing a horse collar life jacket.

Quote Originally Posted by John Smith View Post
    How many people take tours in these around the world during the course of a year? How many casualties?

Then one could wonder why modern replicas aren't made
    New amphibious buses are being built
    https://www.seahorseamphibious.com/
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

I mistyped - I will edit my post No. 23 to change 'DUKH' to the correct 'DUKW'.

However, one of the issues noted by Transport Canada was that the chain-driven bilge pump was one of the items that was often changed by operators to a more conventional one, often of lesser capacity. My issue is with the 'boat' is its susceptibility to foundering, which is an event that no bilge pump can cope with. Once this event begins, the roof traps the occupants in the vehicle as it sinks.

Regarding "how many casualties", I believe that it is around forty in the past ten years.

Todd, the issue with the roof on these vehicles is that, with a lifejacket on, you float up to the underside of the roof where you are trapped as the vehicle sinks. Before you refute this, realize that most passengers have zero experience in boats, and many can't swim. Panic makes people do silly things, including not being able to claw their way out from under a sinking fabric roof.
    Last edited by mmd; 07-20-2018 at 05:20 PM.

The drivers often act as the entertainment guide on these things. That's really dangerous. I'm not a fan. Every time one goes by I want to throw water balloons at it. They're basically clown cars and all clowns deserve to be pelted with water balloons.
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

Not sure about the USA, but in Canada there has to be two staff - one to drive, one to entertain the passengers.

Quote Originally Posted by mmd View Post
    I mistyped - I will edit my post No. 23 to change 'DUKH' to the correct 'DUKW'.

However, one of the issues noted by Transport Canada was that the chain-driven bilge pump was one of the items that was often changed by operators to a more conventional one, often of lesser capacity. My issue is with the 'boat' is its susceptibility to foundering, which is an event that no bilge pump can cope with. Once this event begins, the roof traps the occupants in the vehicle as it sinks.

Regarding "how many casualties", I believe that it is around forty in the past ten years.

Todd, the issue with the roof on these vehicles is that, with a lifejacket on, you float up to the underside of the roof where you are trapped as the vehicle sinks. Before you refute this, realize that most passengers have zero experience in boats, and many can't swim. Panic makes people do silly things, including not being able to claw their way out from under a sinking fabric roof.
    There was a thread on helecopter ditching escape which is verry relevant to this.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

It's just poor judgement on behalf of all involved. None were wearing their PFDs. As I said before these storms are not predictable and just materialize out of nowhere. People in this part of the country as elsewhere refuse to acknowledge climate change and with deadly results.

They are forecasting bad storms for us tonight and through the weekend. They may or may not occur. The weatherman is bambozzled and of course his sponsors won't allow him to admit it. It's all about the money.

Just heard that nine members of the same family were casualties.

41A91495-B1EC-4FE8-BA64-3C4FEE3341EE.jpg

Dublin tour with floats and mandatory PDFs, with open top.