Thread: plan suggestions?

Default plan suggestions?

Hi Team

Im interested in bulding a simple canoe, hopefully to use by next season. I think it would be best if i tried a stitch and glue build first. Ive seen there are quite a few free plans, and i THINK i will be better off if i buy a well thought out plan. I'm hoping to build a canoe that will primarily be used by myself although occasionally my wife would join. I would say max weight would be 450lbs, hopefully less. I was hoping for something in the 13 to 14 foot length although I'm ok tk go up to 15 feet. Was hoping for a plywood construction as well.
    I would be using this canoe on small rivers and creeks.and sheltered small lakes, such as the thames in SW Ontario.

I was browsing the selway-fisher site and see that the 14' Raven, the Hazelnut or the 14' and 15' Prospectors on the same page all seem to be very capable boats.

I was just wondering if people have experience building any of the selway boats, if anyone has other recommendations (from other plan vendors as well). Looking to glean as much as possible before starting to go material shopping. Ive also ordered a couple of books about building: Instant Boatbuilding with Dynamite Payson and Devlin's Boatbuilding: How to Build Any Boat the Stitch-and-Glue Way. Im sure tyhese will get me off to a good start, but want to get input on plans from people on this site!

thanks in advance!

Aaron

Default Re: plan suggestions?

If I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, eventually they would find me attractive.

I have the fisher plans for the 16ft Waterman. I built a DK15 from the book by Dennis Davis "how to build your own canoe", use just 2 sheets of 4mm ply and polyester tape and resin, still in use after 8 years. My last 2 canoes both from Dave Gentry, as i quite like the skin on frame over sanding fibreglass. Heaps of designs out there, comes as little surprise that most people end up with more than one type of canoe.

All of those mentioned are reputable designers. I doubt you'll go wrong picking from that list. I'd throw Storer's 'Quick Canoe' to the mix. https://www.storerboatplans.com/desi...er-in-4-hours/
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

i would DITTO rbgarr's suggestion

their products are tried n true

with their precisely cut parts your only learning curve is the stitch n tape method of buiding

once you have that mastered your next boat can be created using plans where you would learn how to cut from plans...

just this old man's 2 worth this morning

sw
    "we are the people, our parents warned us about" (jb)

steve

I've built a Selway-Fisher s&g design. You'll likely not be disappointed. The Raven 14 is a beauty

There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

I have built CLCs, O'Briens and a Devlin. CLC and O'Brien plans and instructions were wonderful. Devlin plans were OK but instructions were worthless.

Well seems like i have more reseearch to do! Likely looking at CLC, selway etc.

L. Francis Herreshoff's Double Paddel Canoe. Is a great boat for both skinny water exploration and back water paddling!
    It is featured in his, timeless book, "Sensible Cruising Designs". The plans are in the book along with a delightful discripton his own experiences with the boat. A full set of plans for design #57 can be purchased from Mystic Seaport.

I have it on good authority that LFH built his on the dining room table at his home in Marblehead.
    Jay

Hi everyone

quick update: i ordered plans for the yukon from larry at westlakeboats. Also a couple of books arrived, once i get through them (likely over the winter) i will either attempt the yukon, OR get a 14' raven plan from selway-fisher... just depends on my confidence.

Larry Westlake's plans/builds are ANVIL SIMPLE

and his boats work as well as they look GOOD

IIRC he built 5 or 6 of them w/ a bunch of 5th graders in a week

might i suggest buying a sheet of that really skinny hardwood plywood underlayment and make a pattern 1st

then trace it off to your marine/exterior plywood so all 4 pieces will come from the same pattern(no need to ask why i suggest this )

measure ONCE cut 5x

the resuts will be 4-quarters and one pattern

sw

steve

Quote Originally Posted by swoody126 View Post

might i suggest buying a sheet of that really skinny hardwood plywood underlayment and make a pattern 1st

then trace it off to your marine/exterior plywood so all 4 pieces will come from the same pattern(no need to ask why i suggest this )

measure ONCE cut 5x

sw

Hi Steve, are you talking about this? https://www.lowes.ca/plywood/52mm-4-..._g2628400.html

Once the yukon plans show up ill definitely try to make patterns either out of something thin and cheap like that, or even cardboard

Quote Originally Posted by swoody126 View Post

measure ONCE cut 5x

sw

Hi Steve, are you talking about this? https://www.lowes.ca/plywood/52mm-4-..._g2628400.html

Once the yukon plans show up ill definitely try to make patterns either out of something thin and cheap like that, or even cardboard

the stuff i use comes from HD

it's about 1/8" thick 4'x8' for about $11-$13 and has one really smooth hard side w/ the back side not quite so...

here's a friend using a sheet for his PDR pattern

IMG_1432.jpg

and my Mini MouseBoat side pattern being traced onto the exterior plywood

panel layout.jpg

you can see how the PVC pipe clamps(gotta love 'em) are handy for this opperation

using a pair of 6'-8' long knee high saw horses w/ a sheet of 3'4" ply or your plywood stash for a work surface and covered w/ a sheet of 3/4" foam insulation you also have a wonderfull cutting surface

set your circular saw(much better than a sabre saw and provides a really nice/fair curve) depth to just barely thru the material (knot thru the ply AND the foam) and cut from a kneeling position where the work and your body are well supported AND you can easily reach the center of a sheet of plywood

mini mouse side template.jpg

IMG_1167 2.jpg

hope this hasn't muddied the water too much

sw

steve

Hi Steve

your wording was a bit confusing, but the pictures cleared it up nicely! thankyou! Are you using a small circular saw? how big is that blade? I was planning on using a jigsaw to cut the materials.

Simko, i have used both sizes of circular saws for this procedure

4 1/2" & 7 1/4"

got the little one on sale one day and do like it even though the motor/handle does get WARM

when cutting 1/4" material i set the blade depth @ about 5/16" - 3/8"

my larger saw is just heavier for this OLD man to use

my friend doing the PDR used his cordless 7 1/4" and is comfortable w/ how the weight holds it down

being right handed i like a saw w/ the blade on the inside(left) of the motor so i can watch my cut w/o having to lean over the work and that little one is left sided

a FRESH skinny carbide(the glue is HARD on blades) tipped blade w/ MANY TEETH works best ;-)

IMHO the gentle curves you will be cutting will turn out much more fair w/ the circular saw

btw, you aren't the only one who has troubles w/ my wording

my mind bounces around like a pin-ball in a championship game sometimes so i try to write simple sentences/phrases as they pop into my mind

knot only that butt a cup of coffee customized my keyboard last year and the keys don't always work as even i intend

hence the use of MANY pics to explain ..........

sw

steve

I appreciate the allure of a three plank pirogue type design (one flat bottom and two flat sides) but with a little more time, money, and head scratching you'll have a much better canoe if you go for a plan with some shape to it, especially if you want to paddle it with a single blade canoe paddle and not a double bladed kayak paddle.
    There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

Steve:

thanks for clarifying, im sure i wont have a problem making any cuts for these builds!

Jim: excellent point.... I'm still likely to go with the raven or something from paul. but for 25 dollars canadian , I had to buy the yukon plans, the build is very simple and I may even be able to complete one this season if i have a weekend off... the raven definitely wont be started until next year. Now, I need to look into paddle designs