Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567 LastLast

Thread: building progress

Default Re: building progress

I'm loving this. Good to see your Dad checking things out. Also good to see that Bosun is still around.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

IMG_2584.jpg
    "Lowering day" started with taking out the existing supports.

IMG_2590.jpg
    Next came a lot of jacking up, pulling out blocks and adjusting heights to lower down inch by inch (so to speak). We only had two 2 tonne jacks which lifted well enough.

IMG_2592.jpg

Swing arms were constantly adjusted as the boat got lower. I've yet to bolt the swing arms in position, make up some shaped hull supports and add more cross bracing.

IMG_2586.jpg

"Best ever husband" material right there working hard to clear the shed of all the other gear and timber. Andrew has taken time off work to help and has got all the tools (excepting the floor machinery) and about 1/4 timber over to our place. We will be building an annexe beside the shed to hold the timber. It will be sorted by species (i.e. beech for decking) and stored neatly this time around.
    Last edited by Bernadette; 11-02-2021 at 05:50 AM.

IMG_2596 2.jpg
    Lowered position in the cradle. I'll have to lift up the bow once over in the new shed to put her back on the waterline. Not quite sure how I will measure this as I don't have a datum point to go by off the dirt floor. I did take hull measurements off the cement floor etc before lowering the hull. Or I could just do the reverse of marking in the waterline as we didn't 'lift' the line at the bow: the waterline is horizontal. However, overall I do like the hull being lower...much easier to work on the exterior and being lower in the shed will also likely mean less heat when working up top.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernadette View Post
    IMG_2596 2.jpg
    Lowered position in the cradle. I'll have to lift up the bow once over in the new shed to put her back on the waterline. Not quite sure how I will measure this as I don't have a datum point to go by off the dirt floor. I did take hull measurements off the cement floor etc before lowering the hull. Or I could just do the reverse of marking in the waterline as we didn't 'lift' the line at the bow: the waterline is horizontal. However, overall I do like the hull being lower...much easier to work on the exterior and being lower in the shed will also likely mean less heat when working up top.
    Do not fret over measuring up from the floor. Position your waterline at both ends by measuring down from the deck or top of the rail. You might think about banging in a rose head copper nail as a permanent marker to assist in future repaints..
    Then you can set up a horizontal straight edge at each end, wider than the boats beam plus some. That will allow you to stretch a string from end to end to defines the wl.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Hi Nick,

Ive already marked in my waterline; as in, scored it into the planking.

Thinking about this topic last night (whilst trying to sleep) I figured the best way to restore her to her waterline position is as I said above and as you have also suggested by doing the waterline method with the batten boards and string line. I can measure off the horizontal with a spirit level against the string line.

I laid the spirit level against the waterline on the hull when she was finally lowered and by looks of things, only about 10mm of lift is required. That's all fairly arbitrary for now though.
    Last edited by Bernadette; 11-02-2021 at 03:10 PM.

I might be missing something Bern’ but if you have the waterline marked a cheap laser level from Bunnings would get it perfectly horizontal for you.
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    I might be missing something Bern’ but if you have the waterline marked a cheap laser level from Bunnings would get it perfectly horizontal for you.
    yeah....I reckon so! Thanks!!!! Seems so obvious doesn't it!
    typical of overthinking something.

What you've achieved Bernadette, is incredible. I'm so impressed, skill and tenacity.

Today we achieved a milestone in the move to new premises.

On the weekend we worked to get the cradle finished and everything in its place in readiness to push the boat out of the shed.
    On Sunday we tried to push her out with the help of a neighbour's 2wd tractor but it didn't have enough power. So today I asked at a local dealer who does pick up truck work if we could hire his tilt bed tray truck (approx 8.5t capacity) with the idea the winch would be our best option. And of course, the power and precision of the winch made the work so easy.
    We started just after midday and had the boat out of the shed within about 1 1/2 hrs! Brilliant! And what an exciting time!

IMG_2638.jpg
    Part way out and going well so far.

IMG_2648.jpg

IMG_2663.jpg
    getting a good view of the transom for the very first time.
    bear in mind that the hull is still not yet faired so the transom has some work yet to be done.
    Last edited by Bernadette; 11-08-2021 at 05:07 AM.

IMG_2676.jpg

Sitting a little down by the head as per the cradle design.
    Out and ready for the uplift tomorrow morning. The hull still needs a lot of fairing..very apparent in this photo.
    Overall I'm very happy with the move and I enjoyed viewing the hull shape unencumbered by the constraints of a shed.
    I'm also extremely happy with the boat overall: design and size etc. It's great to get that satisfied feeling even though I've still got a bucket load of work to do.
    To say I was excited with the move today is an understatement! I'm also feeling rather pleased with myself and very fortunate to have the help and hard work from Andrew. Without him I would be 'stuck'. Dad wasn't with us today: he's in hospital getting a cardiac 'top up'. And Mum is in the Aged Care facility on her own. Still, Ive got them both to thank for many things leading up to this moment in time.
    Last edited by Bernadette; 11-08-2021 at 05:49 AM.

IMG_2622.jpg
    weekend work: Andrew clearing out timber from the annexe. The Huon Pine slab was some of the last to get loaded. That's a 'Mallard' jig in the roof. Dad started it years ago. Had hoped to pass it on but lack of time meant it had to be cut up.

IMG_2629.jpg

IMG_2630.jpg
    the boat cradle was made up from left over timber so its an assortment of all sorts of species, thicknesses and lengths.
    Last edited by Bernadette; 11-08-2021 at 05:55 AM.

WOW! Congratulations, Bernadette! That's a gorgeous boat seen from any ​perspective!

Very nice

That looks fantastic Bernadette! Well done!

Next, move to new building? Cheers.

IMG_2722.jpg
    some photos from move day.
    transported on low loader. we needed to hire through a company that had the clearance licence for low overhanging powerlines.

IMG_2739.jpg

a short drive from my parents property to our own through the tropical countryside (mostly sugar cane and banana plantations).

IMG_2760.jpg
    a little less room in our yard for manoeuvring the crane and low loader. both contractors were very professional and easy to work with so the job went quick, safely and without any issues.

IMG_2769.jpg
    waiting patiently till this coming weekend when we will reverse winch the boat into the new shed.

IMG_2773.jpg
    the last boat to leave dad's shed: his TS 16 (stretched out to 18'). She's not finished and once I clean up years of settled dust from out of the hull, the boat will go up for sale.

Another good job, almost done. Thanks.

IMG_2787.jpg
    This week I Started to clean up the shed, sort out all the gear Ive got and build in shelving and workbenches. I found there is very good natural lighting with both roller doors up. Likely not to need extra lights for up top or outside the hull work. This may change once I get down below and start to fit out. Ive also had the pleasure of listening to the Rainbow Lorikeets screeching in joy whilst they gorge on the nectar of the Euvodia blossoms. There's quite a number of these trees close by the shed and well, it got pretty noisy there for awhile.
    IMG_2789.jpg
    its a mess...and still haven't got the boat in yet.

We are waiting on our neighbour to return home (he does FIFO mine work). We need to get permission from him to throw a sling around the trunk of a good size tree on his property that just so happens to be in a good line with the shed in order to winch the boat in. The neighbour usually works week on/off so fingers crossed he's home soon.

If we don't get the chance to take advantage of the tree, we will have to pour a cement block outside the shed and cast in a length of chain from which to connect a winch to. We positioned the shed just 2m away from the side boundary as we didn't want the shed impacting too many trees and destroying the growing forest on the property. Pity we didn't put the shed out at 2.5 or even 3m. If we had done this, the tow truck we previously hired would then have had enough room to get down the side of our property and position itself right outside the rear door!

IMG_2773.jpg
    the last boat to leave dad's shed: his TS 16 (stretched out to 18'). She's not finished and once I clean up years of settled dust from out of the hull, the boat will go up for sale.[/QUOTE]
    There is a revival of interest in TS16s at the moment. Let me know when you put it on the market, I may be able to help find a buyer.
    be modest, and be proud of it.

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    IMG_2773.jpg
    the last boat to leave dad's shed: his TS 16 (stretched out to 18'). She's not finished and once I clean up years of settled dust from out of the hull, the boat will go up for sale.
    There is a revival of interest in TS16s at the moment. Let me know when you put it on the market, I may be able to help find a buyer.[/QUOTE]

just sent a PM

I've found there to be a number of disadvantages to having a dirt floor in the shed :
    the power leads get dirty
    it hurts to kneel on the ground for any length of time (small stones dig into the skin)
    tools can be hard to 'see' against the texture and colour of the floobr />
    BUT some added bonuses are:
    if you spill anything it just soaks in (my Pepsi!!!)
    and you can dig down to cement in posts...
    IMG_2879.jpg
    65932572139__8B9CC0FB-3104-4F78-9F7A-DED4BD805D45.jpg
    the span between shed uprights is 4.2 m. the bench had too much flex in the forward edge despite the addition of bracing, so I decided to install three posts. they seem to have done the job. the pine is a shocker to work with. despite everything being square and level, there was a discrepancy in the spirit level across the top of the bench. This was pulled out with the addition of the bracing. Ive yet to add some ply gussets to the diagonals.
    Last edited by Bernadette; 11-23-2021 at 03:47 PM. Reason: tried to edit but cant fix the typos

IMG_2898.jpg
    More cementing...with everything else going on we forgot to figure out how to get the boat into the new shed. doh!!!!

The shed is just 2 m from the side boundary so not enough room for any heavy equipment (i.e. the tow truck with 8t winch) to get in alongside the shed.

There's a decent size tree in the neighbours yard which is in line with the shed and one we could pull off. The neighbour has been away so we have not been able to ask him for permission to use the tree...so we moved onto "plan B"...

We did the block pour by hand (...mixing in a wheelbarrow isn't much fun) late yesterday evening and cast in some chain which we will run a turning block off. The tow truck/winch will be parked at the front of the boat and run the cable from there up to the turning block and back to the boat cradle.

The block is about 70 cubic cm and the chain is 6t rated. Hopefully it will be heavy enough in order to withstand the force at each pull.

If not, we'll go and ask the neighbour for the use of his tree!
    Last edited by Bernadette; 11-25-2021 at 05:57 AM.

Rollers would make it easy, with that deadman.

I've found there to be a number of disadvantages to having a dirt floor in the shed :
    the power leads get dirty
    it hurts to kneel on the ground for any length of time (small stones dig into the skin)
    tools can be hard to 'see' against the texture and colour of the floobr />
    Throw down some old wooden pallets topped off with cheep ply. Warmer and easier on the knees.
    Fix a run of them in front of the bench, and keep some more portable for sliding under the boat's bilge.

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    Throw down some old wooden pallets topped off with cheep ply. Warmer and easier on the knees.
    Fix a run of them in front of the bench, and keep some more portable for sliding under the boat's bilge.
    thats a great idea, thanks!

the other day I dropped a small hex head screw driver bit: the only one I have right now.
    Took me ages to find the thing as it blended in rather nicely with the cracker dust floor.
    I might get a can of pink spray paint to highlight some such tools.

Quote Originally Posted by Thad View Post
    Rollers would make it easy, with that deadman.
    Thad, Ive got the cradle on greasy planks right now. it moves extremely well/easily on these when the inertia is broken with a pull from the winch. Rollers would be ok but the move into my shed is all on dirt so I suspect there would be difficulties with them bedding down due to weight. I've literally only got to move the boat 40' and she will be snug in the shed. The cradle is long and comprised of three cross beams at ground level. That is to say, it's been built to run on planks and not rollers.

Do you think the 'deadman' is a good enough size?

How deep and how solid the earth mean more than size, and how deep is the chain in the cement. No iron in the cement/concrete other than the chain? If the greased way is slippery enough, why not. You will find out. You figured it would do and you are probably right! Softer ground, bigger rollers or planks under the rollers.

Thad
    The cement block is about 70 cubic cm.
    It's got reinforcing rod throughout and I started the chain in the pour at the bottom of the block and it has multiple lengths etc of rod passing through the links. I made up a 'cage' from 6" mesh for the block and have the chain connected by way of rods to this cage.
    To me it all 'looks' about right.
    The ground around here is a sandy (loam). Hard when dry. Easy to shovel when wet.
    Nothing scientific in any of my calculations. Just a hunch and banking on prior experience from doing the same thing years ago with Pequot.

70 cubic cm doesn't sound right to me, but your hunch and experience sound good. Pull away!

The block in the picture looks much closer to a 70cm cube than a volume of 70 cubic cm. 70*70*70 = 343,000 cubic cm or about a third of a cubic meter. Concrete has a density (so says Wikipedia) of about 2400 kg per cubic meter or about 800 kg in that block. That would fit my hunch pretty well, too!

Rockland Maine USA and Woodbridge, Suffolk, England

70 cm³ is a tiny amount. I guess the block is 70cm x 70cm x 70cm = 0.343m³ which is probably about 825kg.

Cheers -- George
    To be truly free to live, one must be free to think and speak.

A C Grayling

Do you think the 'deadman' is a good enough size?
    If you are not confident trench in front of it, stack timber against it held in place with driven stakes, perhaps 6 foot long. Then backfill with rammed earth. That will mobilize the resistance of more soil. Or piggyback a couple of your boats anchors into the soil behind it.

I have the winch man organised for next Saturday. Time will tell if we get the pull out of the block....fingers crossed....I don't want to overthink this, but Im quietly confident (or is that "hopeful"???) the block will be enough for the job. I've got back up plan B to organise yet. That involves asking my neighbour for the loan of his tree which just happens to be growing close by and in line with the shed. I figure a week will be enough to let the block cure. Hence the wait.

The block measures approximately 70 x 70 x 70 cm which I have termed 70 cubic cm. Maybe this is incorrect. Im a little confused with the descriptions and terminology above but appreciate the weight calculations! I figured the block would have to weigh at least 500 kg.

I recall sinking mooring blocks for Decatur in Trinity Inlet (Cairns). We had two one ton blocks coupled together. I understood at the time that concrete block 'lost' half their weight in water. By my reckoning on the size of those blocks against what we poured into the ground the other night: it would have enough weight to do the job. Not very scientific I know.
    Last edited by Bernadette; 11-26-2021 at 04:59 PM.

Bern, I’d be going and asking for a loan of the tree to double up to your deadman so it def won’t move. I just googled concrete and your block should weigh about 850kg.

Should do.