Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234 ... LastLast

Thread: building progress

Default Re: building progress

sdALSvoPQIyGVSIXCg3ZQg_thumb_146a.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1475.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1477.jpg

detail of mooring bits. bolted through deck beam and through transom knee. they are tapered somewhat on the lower outboard edges below the deck line to provide a bit of shape.
    disregard the framing aft of the cockpit. I put this in ages ago but may well alter it somewhat in the future.
    I will be installing a gas bottle/s in the locker so will custom fit to what's available on the market at the time. plus, I'm just not yet quite sure what 'arrangements' I will want with stowage at and around the cockpit. I have a lot of under deck space in the immediate area I want to utilise so I'm not sure how I will access it. would be good to access from the cockpit rather than from inside the hull.

fuel tank will sit forward of the said locker, underneath the cockpit floor. I'll be using a custom made molded plastic type tank. about 100 L will do just fine.

note: cap rail also not yet shaped and finished off.
    Last edited by Bernadette; 09-14-2019 at 07:07 AM.

Bernadette, your attachments aren't showing here (again).

What a gorgeous undertaking!
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

I have been waiting for you to continue your last build threads on her but you started a new one and I missed it. Glad I found it today. Your progress is awesome to watch. Keep at it. Cheers, Daniel
    If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
    -Henry David Thoreau-

Quote Originally Posted by Lew Barrett View Post
    Bernadette, your attachments aren't showing here (again).

What a gorgeous undertaking!
    Hello Lew, yes I see that now. Ive had trouble in the past and the issue still plagues my posting. However, Ive uploaded again so hopefully they will now be visible.

Re your signature line: the teak wishbone boom on my Windsurfer would impart a lovely smell onto my hands after a day's sailing on the water.
    Last edited by Bernadette; 09-13-2019 at 11:15 PM.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_159a.jpg
    marking pattern ply for the sacrificial timber (and copper shoe).

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_15a0.jpg
    hardwood sacrificial shoe and copper for the lowest point on the keel. the copper was somewhat thicker than what we would normally purchase but I still managed to get it belted into shape and onto the keel without any difficulty.
    not able to accurately identify the species of hardwood..suffice to say its been around for decades and was at one time previously used as a greasy plank in moving both Pequot and Decatur out of the shed. Its probably Penda or Johnstone River Hardwood.
    UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_15a4.jpg

the copper shoe was made up in 3 sections (only able to purchase short lengths). in any case, this made it relatively easy to attach to the keel. I made up a slurry of linseed oil putty with red lead powder to sandwich between the two.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_15b5.jpg

the sacrificial timber and copper shoe was fastened from below with a generous number of 1/4 x 3" copper dumps driven home with a sledge hammer! pity the next person who attempts to take off the shoe. all the dumps are 'cut back' along the shaft with a small cold chisel to produce better grip and will never work loose. here I am drilling holes into the keel for the dumps.
    the uppermost edge was fastened with a two row series of sheeting nails.
    Last edited by Bernadette; 09-14-2019 at 06:58 AM.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_15f9.jpg
    jumping ahead a bit here...the laminated Grey Satin Ash for the cabin corner posts.
    laminated using the epoxy laminating glue intended for the mast construction.

Im not sure if Ive mentioned on here that I had to abandon the mast construction due to lack of space down the side of the boat inside the shed. I have stacked the mast sections (already dressed and scarfed) up in the roof of the shed until such time as I move the hull out of the shed. In the meantime, I'll be making up the bowsprit, gaff and booms though as these require much less space.
    Last edited by Bernadette; 09-13-2019 at 11:56 PM.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_15a1.jpg
    the tiny sunflower birds often visit us in the shed looking for building material for their nests. They usually like to grab cobwebs or bits of shavings. Usually always seen in pairs and very vocal. thats the female on the chain hoist and the male on the white corner post. the image isn't the best as its been taken rather quickly with a phone camera. the male has a dark blue black crimson breast plate.
    Last edited by Bernadette; 09-13-2019 at 11:56 PM.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_15dc.jpg
    unfortunately some time previously, we must have locked the shed with out first checking for the little birds and this one got locked in.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_15dd.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_15de.jpg
    sweet little thing...she was given a proper burial and a prayer.
    Last edited by Bernadette; 09-13-2019 at 11:49 PM.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_146d.jpg

better view of overall cockpit size.

Beautiful boat...and quality work. Wow! I'm impressed...she looks stout.

I was visited in the shop today by a little black and white bird that was chirping and talking to me for about an hour and a half while I was working. I was worried he/she might get stuck inside when I left but the little one flew away. Peculiar!

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_15f5 2.jpg

Recently took delivery of 60 Lm of Kauri Pine to be used mostly for framing. It does have nice aesthetic appearance/characteristics so I may also end up using it to plank up the cabin sides (interior dress trim only).
    Last edited by Bernadette; 09-14-2019 at 04:16 AM.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_15f8.jpg

Dad recently celebrated his 87th birthday. He's been unwell again of late....

Mum fell and broke her hip on 14th August and was sent through to Cairns Hospital (120 km away from their home) for surgical treatment. Whilst visiting mum in hospital, Dad fell and broke his L shoulder on 23rd August and spent 5 days in the same hospital. I had been driving him up daily to see Mum so I was with him when he fell.

Anyhow, Ive managed to secure 3 months leave from my paid work and have moved back into their home to manage the both of them until they regain their full (and best possible) independence. I have until end of November to help them.

However, as I write this, whilst I bought Mum home 3 days ago, Dad is an inpatient in the Innisfail hospital with pneumonia! So Its sort of been a tag team affair between the two of them! Dad is recovering and Mum is slowly regaining her pre injury life.
    UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_15ea.jpg
    Mum after a morning of pottering about in the garden. She will be 84 in December this year.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_15d7.jpg
    Last edited by Bernadette; 09-14-2019 at 07:06 PM.

The boat is looking great, sorry to hear about your parents woes.

Sorry to hear about your parents. In UK pneumonia is prevalent in the hospitals themselves..........it is best here, to try and get them home ASAP.
    Lovely boat and work Bernadette!

Quote Originally Posted by lexi View Post
    Sorry to hear about your parents. In UK pneumonia is prevalent in the hospitals themselves..........it is best here, to try and get them home ASAP.
    Lovely boat and work Bernadette!
    well I have a educated hunch, it was/is hospital acquired pneumonia he contracted.

IMG_0031.jpg

this is Dad at discharge from Cairns Hospital. He waited in the patient pick up area whilst I went and got the car from the parking lot. When I returned this little dog was left tied up with suitable comforts including water and a sign saying her owner was at the hospital attending to an appointment. She was a sweet little thing and enjoyed a pat. Nice to know that people can still be trusting enough to leave a dog unattended.
    Last edited by Bernadette; 09-14-2019 at 04:13 AM.

Yep, hospitals are good places to avoid. If you're not sick when you go in, you will be by the time you get out. They generate their own perpetual supply of business.

I see your Dad went for the matching black walker and stick. Good choice, he looks good there. No doubt he'll be better off at home. Give him and your Mum my best wishes, and yourself, while you're at it.

I can't tell you how much I admire your efforts, with the boat and your whole life.

Keep up the good work on the boat and please post more often.

Jim

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1600.jpg
    Corner post cabin made up of laminated Grey Satin Ash. Not yet cut to required height.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1601.jpg

Setting up forward corner posts.
    All posts are through bolted with 3/8" copper rod longitudinally and athwartship.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1602.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_15fd.jpg

Packing out the side decks with 2 x 1 1/2" laminations of Kauri Pine. I wanted wider side decks but Dad had built them in narrower early on. Its only 3" a side but makes a whole lot of difference for foot fall.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_15fc.jpg

Laminating Grey Satin Ash for the cabin beams. We have a rather subtle curvature here. We weren't inclined to go too deep in the shape as we want to avoid the 'turtle back' look some cabins get.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_15fe.jpg

Not a good photo..but, very iconically Australian!
    We get wallabies and cockatoos in the yard. The cockies have been very plentiful feeding on all the available fruit ( passionfruit, mandarins, beach almonds, oranges...this one was chewing on lemons!). These are sulphur crested cockatoos.
    Mostly they congregate in large flocks, fly large distances, cackle, screech and chatter a lot, and are very sociable birds gambolling on the ground and in the trees. Its a real disgrace any of these lovely birds are held captive as pets in cages.
    The wallabies come from across the road (out from the relative safety of the cane fields) to a particular patch of grass which must be sweeter than the rest. Unfortunately the wallaby population in the region is prone to high numbers of road fatalities. There are always fresh kills daily. The law here stipulates that motorists must stop to check if the animal has died. Oft times, joeys will be ejected or climb from the pouch if the mother is lying injured (fatally). Orphans are usually well cared for by wildlife rescue groups.
    Last edited by Bernadette; 09-16-2019 at 04:54 PM.

Quick update on no boat work! Ive been super busy looking after my parents then had to scoot back to paid work for 1 month. Now that Im back home again for a short period I decided to get reconstructive surgery done to my R ankle. Ive had a problem since the mid 1980s and the issue has slowly been creeping up on me to the point of affecting my life on a hour by hour basis each day. So in order to get a good crack at the boat next year, Im resting up now post surgery. I'll head over to the boat shed in a couple of weeks (when I can weight bear on the ankle) to take stock of where Im at then make a plan for next year. I still don't think I'll get finished next year but hopefully with some judicious use of time...I'll get a lot of work done.
    There's been too many days of wishful thinking of wanting to be out on the water not to keep moving ahead!
    All the best to you mob on here...
    Bern

PS: I think I need to start thinking about electrics sooner rather than later. So Im looking for advice on the subject. Ive got a bunch of text books but they "may" be dated as in, I purchased them back in the late 1990s. What the general consensus on utilising the information in these texts to get a feel for what I might want to do on the boat?
    Last edited by Bernadette; 11-21-2019 at 02:28 AM.

Wishing you a speedy recovery! I have ankle history due to a slide off a roof with no parachute!

Bernadette, as always it is great to hear from you with your “check ins”. Best of luck with your ankle and progress next year.
    I can be of no use or guidance for electronics as I don’t have any. I’m a paper chart and compass person.

There's a whole nuther thread going on electronics

Oh, electrics. Different thing.

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by nedL View Post
    Bernadette, as always it is great to hear from you with your “check ins”. Best of luck with your ankle and progress next year.
    I can be of no use or guidance for electronics as I don’t have any. I’m a paper chart and compass person.
    yes, me too! I enjoy and prefer to use paper charts and compass.

However I was thinking about the layup for wiring before I build too much into the boat. With the technology available these days I wont be installing speakers or the such like for music etc. Lighting has advanced with LEDs and last I learnt, you could buy VHF and HF combination radios (not that I think thats such a greta idea). Battery technology has ramped up and my husband has suggested I fit a portable 12/240v fridge unit into the boat rather than build in. So you can see, Ive got a few things I want to consider! If I can get myself part way through the basic wiring lay up etc it will be cost effective because I just know that to get a 12 v marine electrician in to do the work is going to cost me a fortune.

While ankle recovers sounds a good time for research. Best wishes.

Hey Bern great reading some updates on your skookum beautiful build.
    Good luck with your operation and your parents health.

Quote Originally Posted by Thad View Post
    While ankle recovers sounds a good time for research. Best wishes.
    I get bored easily and frustrated with the sitting down resting part...I'm a woman of activity and action....but yes, my time could be spent researching.

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

12v electrician? I didn't think that could exist.
    12v stuff isn't hard. Marine quality wire, tinned, and learn to use a crimper and heat shrink.
    run a heavy spine of negative down the boat, with a couple of buzz bars, this is a common circuit, and individual hots for each appliance. Corrosion is the killer, so good quality is key. If you add internal lights or bits and pieces, you'll be glad you made it all accessible.

i've been looking at ways to upgrade my ice box to a fridge, and it seems to be cheaper to buy a fridge and install.

i love your boat!
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

Is Nigel Calder still The Book? Or is he diesel?

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

here's a bit of an update.
    im back at work in the NT and finally settled back into the job with some time to get photos downloaded to computer.
    before I left home I got the cabin height and camber sorted and got the beams in.
    gave the shed and the boat a clean up, put all the tools back in their rightful places in readiness for when I get back in about 7 weeks time.
    boat5.jpg
    Last edited by Bernadette; 09-27-2020 at 07:58 AM.

Looking great! if a pit off kilter.

Im having some trouble with the programme tonight. cant seem to load up what I want in the correct orientation.