Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: building progress

Default Re: building progress

Thanks, Bernadette, she's a lovely boat! I especially like the lower set of rub rails, not only for their utility but what they add to the total appearance of the boat.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by bischoffboatworks View Post
    Hi there. Great to see you back at it. I've been slowly working on BISH as well. Got the interior in, now systems, engine stuff, deck, and rig. My math puts me at 75 years old at launch... that's why I have now added a starter and a battery to my crank-start SABB. There's not much headroom below, but I'll be bent over anyway by then, so all works out.
    Ha! This is hilarious!!!!
    I can empathise and sympathise with you all the long way to launch day!!!

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    yes, both the same ads Peter. It looks ok but at the moment Im not in urgent need so will hold off for awhile. But thanks for the links. I can drool over the pictures and wish away...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ledger View Post
    Thanks, Bernadette, she's a lovely boat! I especially like the lower set of rub rails, not only for their utility but what they add to the total appearance of the boat.

Jim
    Jim, the sponsons are a 'signature' of dad's building style. He has done a much on many other vessels he has built and we did the same on my two previous yachts. Its what Im used to and they have served me well in the past when tying up alongside broken down jetties or concrete pylons etc. I do prefer them myself to much smaller versions Ive seen elsewhere. This time around I will brightwork the outer section of timber. If they get damaged Im not going to be too worried about the appearance even under varnish. The top layer can always be replaced if its severely damaged as its only screwed on.

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    G'day Bernie, she's beautiful…….. Now I will have to come up!
    for the launch???! heck yeah!

Just found your thread Bernadette, what a lovely boat she is!! And having a dad who's been building boats all his life, what more can one ask for? Awesome, and I've got to admit, I'm a little bit jealous !

Please, please, please, even if this might be "business as usual" for you now, it's not for me and there is still heaps I've got to learn to get it right on Tonga. Could you keep on going with pictures, especially concerning the deck etc.? I would really enjoy to closely follow the progress!
    fair winds, Dody

"They did not know it was impossible so they did it" - Mark Twain

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...h-Tonga/page12

a brief update on work progress (which has been slow)...paid work and a busy life punctuate the boat building.

IMG_2890.jpg
    the initial hull sanding done in readiness for a primer coat. the hull will be further sanded to a finer finish after the seams are puttied and the putty is allowed to harden.
    note the 'filler plank' fitted under the sponson which will carry the chain plates. the design only calls for two chain plates but I will fit three: two lower shrouds and an upper.
    Last edited by Bernadette; 01-06-2019 at 07:05 AM.

IMG_2892.jpg
    Primer coat going on.
    Thats 5 planking runs of Huon Pine there about to be covered up for good. The HP was surplus stock from the build of DECATUR.

IMG_2916.jpg
    Marking in the waterline.
    Last edited by Bernadette; 01-06-2019 at 04:23 PM.

IMG_2899.jpg

Dad doing a check on our measurements before marking the final waterline height on the hull.
    Last edited by Bernadette; 01-06-2019 at 04:23 PM.

IMG_2901.jpg
    batten bending...marking waterline.
    Last edited by Bernadette; 01-06-2019 at 04:22 PM.

IMG_2894.jpg
    when a half finished boat becomes a work platform!
    a 16' Hartley design stretched to 18' and needing someone keen and willing to finish her off.
    this was a brief "fill in" project Dad started a while back until we got started on my boat.
    she's going be sold off as I have told Dad Im not doing any more work after my own yacht is launched. I had intended to finish her off but I really want to stop working, relax and enjoy some sailing time.
    At present she's in the back of the shed and Ive started to clean her up. When I get back after my next work rotation, she'll get the full treatment to clean her up and hopefully sell her off.
    The Hartley design is as many would know, a thoroughly capable and kindly sea boat. Ive owned one previously and enjoyed her immensely. We often 'sail-camped' off the local beaches and had a ton of fun in her.
    Last edited by Bernadette; 01-06-2019 at 04:21 PM.

IMG_2918.jpg

in preparation for seam puttying (below the waterline)... I dragged out our supply of red lead powder which must be all of at least 30 to 40 years old. A surviving 'left over' from Dad's commercial boat building days. Ive still got plenty of the powder but I expect I will hang onto to it as Im sure someone will want some (perhaps) in the future. Im not sure you can even buy this stuff anymore????
    a little bit of this goes a long way especially when ground down to a very fine powder.
    Last edited by Bernadette; 01-06-2019 at 04:38 PM.

Bernadette,

Lovely boat, glad to see you continuing on with the work. It could be my setup but your attachments are not loading. The last picture that loads is of the rub rail to which I have a question. Is it customary in your area to shape the end squared off in that manner? I would be concerned it might snag on something solid and split off the end.

Same here, Bernadette. The last four attachments result in an error message.

Jim

I dont know why the pictures dont load properly when I follow the same upload process each time. ive had this problem before. anyhow, ill go back and try and rectify.

Quote Originally Posted by navydog View Post
    Bernadette,

Lovely boat, glad to see you continuing on with the work. It could be my setup but your attachments are not loading. The last picture that loads is of the rub rail to which I have a question. Is it customary in your area to shape the end squared off in that manner? I would be concerned it might snag on something solid and split off the end.
    ...remember there is a bow sprit with stays ahead of the end of the sponson and one is not inclined to be 'driving' that into anything (unless its a blasted service point on a marina, and they are usually soft, give little resistance and bend over quite well when given the "push"!!!)....ah yep, been there, done that!!!!

further to this, one would have to be heading the boat in at a very sharp angle to hit the sponson square on in order to effect any damage. this may occur of course in very unusual or awkward circumstance and perhaps for example in flood waters with a lot of dead trees floating about etc etc some debris might get temporarily caught.
    in my experience the issues has never arisen.

same applies for the aft end of the sponson. its a clumsy skipper who gets tangled.

the sponson is through bolted on the ends in any case for the exact reason you mention. if one should accidentally hit something, then the end of the sponsor will hold.

Super, they all load. Again the boat looks great.

Quote Originally Posted by navydog View Post
    Super, they all load. Again the boat looks great.
    thank you.
    I have just today to finish off the below waterline puttying. Ive had 4 1/2 weeks away from the boat as I took a short term locum contract over in West Australia then had 2 weeks off to spend time with Andrew for our Christmas/New Year holiday break.
    I fly out again on Wednesday.

IMG_2498.jpg
    backtracking a bit...sanding the hull down with one of my most favourite power tools!
    I seriously do love my belt sander I have inherited from dad.

IMG_3014.jpg

below waterline seam puttying. its all done now as of yesterday. tools and shed have been tidied up and packed away during my absence.
    when I return I'll be finishing off the topsides then start the fun stuff fitting out the hull.
    Last edited by Bernadette; 01-08-2019 at 05:16 AM.

IMG_2958.jpg

with chisel...marking in the waterline.

Did you steam the caprail to get that bend?

Beautiful work. I'm always following.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

As always Bernadette,... just awesomely beautiful!

Agreed, as ever, beautiful work.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

I'm a belt sander lover too!

The boat looks awesome. Love it.
    Philip K. Dick — 'Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away'.

Quote Originally Posted by chollapete View Post
    Did you steam the caprail to get that bend?
    I am assuming you do actually mean the cap rail and not the sponson?

the cap rail is dry fitted according to the width required.
    the aim is to achieve the longest run with a given curvature available from the 6" stock on hand.
    and 'gussets' fitted permit the rail to follow the curvature of the hull.

The red lead now is considered uber nasty. We have to buy it from a fireworks supply house in Idaho. You have to sign a special security clearance form to prove you are not a terrorist/bomber/rapist/drug smuggler before they will sell it to you. And then there's the issue of getting it over the "wall"....
    Leslie Jean 15' Whitehall
    Le Petale, 7' Fatty Knees
    Bish 30' Murray Peterson Schooner under construction
    http://bischoffboatworks.com

Quote Originally Posted by bischoffboatworks View Post
    The red lead now is considered uber nasty. We have to buy it from a fireworks supply house in Idaho. You have to sign a special security clearance form to prove you are not a terrorist/bomber/rapist/drug smuggler before they will sell it to you. And then there's the issue of getting it over the "wall"....
    hey Karl, I wondered if any residue would set the security guys on alert at the airports ive travelled through most recently. unfortunately I get targeted for the 'explosives' test each time despite the newer random methods of choosing whom they will tap down.
    ...I guess I got rid of any traces on my body . its sticky stuff especially mixed with the putty and extra linseed oil!

by the way...hows the boat going? I checked your website but there doesn't seem to be any new updates.

Should be some "fairly" recent photos . Yesterday got the rudder roughed out and temporarily hung. WAY bigger project than I thought it would be. And working alone it gets very interesting moving that thing around. I finally clamped it to a small refrigerator so I could go up and lower the rudder post down into it's bracket. Unlike sailing, it's the getting there not the going there that counts sometimes.
    Leslie Jean 15' Whitehall
    Le Petale, 7' Fatty Knees
    Bish 30' Murray Peterson Schooner under construction
    http://bischoffboatworks.com

^ ah geez, I didnt look hard enough at your web page...the oldest posts come up first...anyhow Karl, you are doing some seriously beautiful work there. Ill be taking a closer look at your fit out for ideas!