X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • timber_cruiser
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    • Nov 2009

rowing the Caledonia Yawl

I just finished spending a few days sailing and fishing at the Strawberry Reservoir in Utah. This has become one of my favorite places to take my Caledonia Yawl. The wind typically picks up in the afternoon and can get strong. Sailing on a high elevation mountain reservoir has taught me to be cautious and reef early.

This morning I went out at daybreak to try rowing my Caledonia Yawl with a new set of oars. I recently bought 11 foot Cataract Oars and wanted to try them out on a longer row. I rowed a 2.0 mile stretch at an easy pace. The water was like glass and there was zero wind. I was pleasantly surprised how well this boat rows. I had always heard that it is a heavy slow rowing boat, but it tracked well and has a nice glide. My GPS says I averaged 2.5 mph for the distance. I am sure the experience would have been much different under windy conditions.

I really like the Cataract oars. There have a nice balance and feather easily.

IMG_0543.jpg
  • jtdums
    • Jun 2012

Re: rowing the Caledonia Yawl

Thanks for posting your feedback. Do you have a source for the oars?

Comment

• timber_cruiser
      Salt Lake City, Utah
      • Nov 2009

Jtdums, I bought this set from a local Sportsman Warehouse store. I think these oars are often used for drift boats and river rafts. I was going back and forth on the traditional spruce wooden oar set, but the modern Cataract oar design provides the option of storing the oar shafts on the floor with the detachable spoon blades strapped to the centerboard trunk. 11 foot oars are big!

Comment

• jtdums
        • Jun 2012

Thanks for the follow up. I don't have a Sportsman's close to me, but they appear to be available online up to 10' length for any that might be considering.

Comment

• Breakaway
          • Mar 2007

Thanks for sharing.

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
          There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Comment

• Thorne
            Like my hat?
            • Aug 2005

As above, thanks for the post. I'm struggling for oar storage locations, trying on the gunwales, alongside the CB case and also sticking out over the front stem.

"The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
            Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

Comment

• Ben Fuller
              • Jan 2000

Originally posted by Thorne
              As above, thanks for the post. I'm struggling for oar storage locations, trying on the gunwales, alongside the CB case and also sticking out over the front stem.
              I use a webbing strap with a quick release helps to keep the oars under control when I stow them as a bowsprit on RANTAN. Works great and the strap also works when I stick the rig over the bow to cut windage for a long row.
              Ben Fuller
              Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Tipsy, Tippy, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity, Look Far, Flash and a quiver of other 'yaks.
              "Bound fast is boatless man."

Comment

Working...