Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: The cutest schooner - listed in WB

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default The cutest schooner - listed in WB

Samanthe is listed for sale in WB263 and on the website. Ever since I saw her in an article about pocket schooners in WB254, I've been in love with this one. She is about the only schooner of that size that I can think of that really hangs together and doesn't look like a bathtub toy. Now she may be a lot of boat for little practical use, but man those lines are gorgeous.

Now, 33 grand is way out of my current budget, she's on the wrong side of the pond for me, and I have the plans from Mystic Seaport and the dream of building her myself at some point. But I sure would like to see her end up in good hands.

An older thread with some more pictures.

Default Re: The cutest schooner - listed in WB

Hmmm,.... I may have to give a loook for her when I’m in Greenport next week. Cute!

It looks great but at 27' it is actually impractical. A ton of little sails and lines where a boat of that size could be run with one or two sails without any issues.

Maybe the second cutest schooner. I’d have to put Dorothy Elizabeth first.

Quote Originally Posted by navydog View Post
    It looks great but at 27' it is actually impractical. A ton of little sails and lines where a boat of that size could be run with one or two sails without any issues.
    Thanks, Captain Obvious. Practicality is kinda besides the point. For that I would buy a used frozen snot Folkeboat.

Quote Originally Posted by nedL View Post
    Hmmm,.... I may have to give a loook for her when I’m in Greenport next week. Cute!
    I strongly encourage you to do so! If I was anywhere near, I would have done so myself already. And any pictures woud be awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by StevenBauer View Post
    Uuh, now that's a beauty as well. Abot the same size and obviously cut from the same cloth. Do you have any more pictures? I didn't know about her at all. And there is a book! I'll have to get that.

Quote Originally Posted by MoritzSchwarzer View Post
    Thanks, Captain Obvious. Practicality is kinda besides the point.
    Only if your plan is to sit around Ego Alley and never take it out.

folks just can't stand to have their favorite idea scrutinized.
    You must be really fun at parties.

Quote Originally Posted by MoritzSchwarzer View Post
    You must be really fun at parties.
    This is one hell of a party!

Quote Originally Posted by navydog View Post
    This is one hell of a party!
    Hmhm. Glad you were having fun. But this is the point where I politely ask you to leave because I'm not enjoying your company.

That's a good photo of her. And I have to agree with you --but I'm *severely* biased: She's the "stretched" version of my sloop, Bucephalus. Designed and built by Ralph Stanley for the author and sailor Roger Duncan when Roger decided he was getting too old for his 32' Friendship sloop, Eastward.

Alex

It might have lots of lines to deal with but should be quite easy as it has ETNZ cycle powered winches if you look at the picture

https://tinkboats.wordpress.com
    http://proasail.blogspot.co.uk
    What I get up to
    https://youtu.be/X9NZEyvpb_Y Streaker dinghy
    https://youtu.be/oni-3rJzxqQ Sail Canoe
    https://youtu.be/eW078PPgJak Proa

wow, wasn't expecting to see the modern bicycle style grinder like the americas cup foiling multi's have
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

As far as I know, Samanthe has been owned, or at least cared for and perhaps used for day charters by Donn Costanzo's top shelf wood boatyard: http://www.woodenboatworks.com/
    “Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of those rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs."

Quote Originally Posted by rbgarr View Post
    As far as I know, Samanthe has been owned, or at least cared for and perhaps used for day charters by Donn Costanzo's top shelf wood boatyard: http://www.woodenboatworks.com/
    Yup. I know a tallship hand who captained her for a while. Former shipmate.

Of course little schooners are not "practical". What fun would life be if everything were practical. For starters, I guess we wouldn't have a need for this web site. Lol

Out of curiosity, since I don't know much about sailing anything larger than a dinghy, why would a schooner be more complicated to sail than a ketch? Plenty of ketches in that size range (H28 to start with).
    - Chris

Life is short. Go boating now!

Dennis Conner's schooner "Fame" is over 100 years of age and still racing! At 40 feet in length she is close to the, supposed, lower practical length for the schooner rig on a small boat. The word "practical" is the clue because shorter than thirty five feet is considered, by many, the critical dividing line for schooner rigs. While pretty at any length, the schooner becomes a mass of the clutter and windage caused by spars, sheets and essential rigging to operate that "Schooner Rig" we all admire and love.
    Jay

And had Dennis left her properly rigged, she would still be a lovely boat. But he went and 'updated' her...

Designed by B.B. Crowninshield (and he knew a thing or two about schooners, I believe), for his own use, as the largest boat he could single hand. Of course, once seen, others wanted to play, and so came along the Sound Schooner. A bit longer than the original post, and narrow... Just under six tons. Beautiful boats.

Someday...
    Heute ist so ein schöne Tag...

Quote Originally Posted by Don Z. View Post
    And had Dennis left her properly rigged, she would still be a lovely boat. But he went and 'updated' her...

Designed by B.B. Crowninshield (and he knew a thing or two about schooners, I believe), for his own use, as the largest boat he could single hand. Of course, once seen, others wanted to play, and so came along the Sound Schooner. A bit longer than the original post, and narrow... Just under six tons. Beautiful boats.

Someday...
    I do prefer the lapping fore that she once carried rather than boomed one he added. He should have left that alone.
    Here is a shot from her race where she beat "Black Adder"
    http://da-woody.com/13NYD/2013NYD568.JPG
    Jay
    Last edited by Jay Greer; 07-17-2018 at 03:16 PM.

I dunno about that "35 feet being the smallest practical schooner" thing. As an example (because I don't have any digitized photos of local NS schooner-rigged inshore fishing boats at hand), how about the revered William Atkin's 27-foot "Coot":

Then there is the 22.5-ft Florence Oakland

Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by mmd View Post
    I dunno about that "35 feet being the smallest practical schooner" thing. As an example (because I don't have any digitized photos of local NS schooner-rigged inshore fishing boats at hand), how about the revered William Atkin's 27-foot "Coot":

Then there is the 22.5-ft Florence Oakland

Well, as our Canadian friends might say: That "Coot" is too short and beamy a Boot to perform worth a Hoot. She would be better off being rigged as a Sloop!
    Jay

I've seen Samanthe under sail, she's a peach.

My dear friend Hale Field, who passed over the bar much too soon. Was the naval arhictect and designer and owner of both the small schooners "Hawk" and "Lively"
    Hale knew very well that these designs were not ideal as sailing craft but he needed boats that were small enought to be tied up at his dock rather than tied up in the stream as he had restrictions in moving about that dictated being able to step on board from his float rather than rowing out to a mooring. He also loved schooners and traditional rigs so he was not hell bent on having a fast high tech boat to sail. Hale told me once that he knew the boats were slow but he wasn't in a hurry. So, that is why the boats turned out as they did. Actually "Hawk" was just too small and was swamped in a knockdown during the Master Mariners race in Long Beach one year. Hale and His daughter Linda nearly sank and so Hale decided to build "Lively" a boat that had more stability and size for accommodations below. "Lively" is advertized today for charter as being thirty six feet in length but I suspect that is including the bow sprit in that measurement. My guess is that the boat is actually 28 to 30 feet LOA.

My son Jaime recently went on a sail in her and remarked how poorly the boat performs compared to other boats of that length he has sailed and skippered. "Damn slow and pitches fore and aft a lot!" was his evaluation of "Lively". Much of the uncomfotable motion is the result of weight aloft from the spars and the flam of her sections forward that cause her to lift too rapidly when heading into a chop. I think most of you who are accustomed to sailing schooners over thirty five to forty feet in length will agree with this evaluation. My all time favorite is "Wanderlure II" an Alden Schooner that is thirty eight feet on deck and is comfortable in any sea and sails like no other schooner I have ever known! They all have their own singular appeal but I do like a longer hull of thirty five feet or more to make a good performing schooner boat!
    Jay
    Last edited by Jay Greer; 07-17-2018 at 02:51 PM.

Rigging as a sloop lengthens and slims a hull? I didn't know that... <wink, grin>

As an aside, I have lived in five Canadian provinces, and met folks from all across our country, and the only people I know who pronounce "about" as "a-boot" are Americans trying to emulate a Canadian regional accent. Personally, I think that it is a myth that anyone up here talks like that. Now, a south-coast Newfoundland accent, or closer to my home, a Nova Scotian South Shore accent is a wonder to behold.

I've sailed on Perseverance, near sister to Samanthe, and i've sailed on H-28s. As far as the 'complications' of setting and trimming sails, each are about the same. Just depends on what you prefer. The less obstructed cockpit of the schooner was something that appealed to me.

perseverance.jpg

Perseverance In Rockland.jpg
    “Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of those rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs."

Regarding the linguist issue broached on this thread:

It is my belief that Americans claim Canadians say "aboot" is because the vowel sound many Americans use is more realistically spelled "abayowt". (Obviously, I am exaggerating.) The point is, the very long dipthong they are used to makes our shorter one sound even shorter, to their ears.

Interesting info on Wikipedia:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diphthong

Wow,maybe now we all will be wishing for longer dipthongs!
    Bird

My wife used to teach in a small village called New Germany. The area has a wonderfully rich accent, punctuated by regional colloquial terms. A phonetically spelled example:

"Go o-vah they-ah an' shet the dough-ah of yow-ah caaah."

(Go over there and shut the door of your car.)

You can't make this stuff up...

You can't make this stuff up...
    Why would anyone think you made that up? That sounds like home (SWHbr, ME), to me... dee-ah!

On the schooner thread, my honorary grandmother's father, Rodman Swift, had the 27' Alden schooner Tyche. Alden didn't like the boat, thought she was too small to be a schooner and should have been a sloop. Rodman disagreed completely, and loved the sailplan. Sometimes the owner is right.

If small schooners didn't have any worthwhile attributes, they wouldn't exist.

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by Pitsligo View Post

If small schooners didn't have any worth while attributes, they wouldn't exist.

Alex
    That's close to the truth as there are so few of them.
    Last edited by navydog; 07-18-2018 at 10:22 AM.

Pitsligo, I have visited SWHbr, ME and the accents do indeed have many similarities. There are differences in timbre and rate of speech, but otherwise similar. What really sets them apart, though, is the local colloquialisms. I wasn't in SWHbr, ME long enough to pick up on any of the local ones there, but know the New Germany/Lunenburg County ones well. Words like "aiglish" (difficult, fussy; as in threading a needle) and "peinsy" (whiney and fidgety, as a small child does), which came down through the generations from the original settler's Germanic roots, and phrases like "some good", which actually means "really good" are still in common usage.

Quote Originally Posted by mmd View Post
    Pitsligo, I have visited SWHbr, ME and the accents do indeed have many similarities. There are differences in timbre and rate of speech, but otherwise similar. What really sets them apart, though, is the local colloquialisms. I wasn't in SWHbr, ME long enough to pick up on any of the local ones there, but know the New Germany/Lunenburg County ones well. Words like "aiglish" (difficult, fussy; as in threading a needle) and "peinsy" (whiney and fidgety, as a small child does), which came down through the generations from the original settler's Germanic roots, and phrases like "some good", which actually means "really good" are still in common usage.
    Hey since this thread has drifted well away from the OP, I'll add an anecdote. I grew up in Seattle, which is almost devoid of regional speech (well, we used to say "pop" instead of "soda" but that's changed now that so many people here are actually Californians). But I picked up the habit of saying "ayuh" - a general statement of affirmation - from my Dad. As in "That boat sure is pretty, ayuh." Didn't realize until I was an adult that it's a Maine-ism that came from his upbringing there.

Still wondering why small schooners are impractical though. Just the weight of the spars in relation to the hull limiting performance? Or is there also some complexity of the strings needing to be pulled to make it go?
    - Chris

Life is short. Go boating now!

This schooner is owned by Mystic seaport and is pretty damned cute and is for sale for $10K.

Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    This schooner is owned by Mystic seaport and is pretty damned cute and is for sale for $10K.

Is that schooner CURRENTLY at Mystic? if not I'm pretty sure Vinny and Shawn George, forum members and former owners of the McIntosh pinky 'Acacia', Gilmer ketch 'Jenny Ives' and Alden 'Milky Way' own her now.

Quote Originally Posted by rbgarr View Post
    Is that schooner CURRENTLY at Mystic? if not I'm pretty sure Vinny and Shawn George, forum members and former owners of the McIntosh pinky 'Acacia', Gilmer ketch 'Jenny Ives' and Alden 'Milky Way' own her now.
    Yep, Vinny and Shawn own her now. But Milky Way was a Crocker.