Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Exterior ply for trailer sailer?

Default Re: Exterior ply for trailer sailer?

Greetings Denise!

Quote Originally Posted by DeniseO30 View Post
    scarf em up! Even done half a---ed they look better then blocks!

Maybe I'm cast from a different mold but this shopping around over dollars and cents and not willing to drive a couple hours to get materials but willing to drive a couple hours to use the boat, all seems kind of silly to me.
    That's what I'm looking for, an opinion! I agree that a scarf joint would be the best all of the way around. Just need to build them better than I have in the past. And using the original design joint method also comes up in the conversation.

With traffic in these parts, a one hour drive could turn out to be 35 minutes, or 2 1/2 hours! So traveling over to La Mirada vs. the closest big box store really isn't an issue. Now getting 150 or 200 lbs of plywood into my Tonka truck is a different question. But a bill for $532 vs. $264 certainly gets my attention.

Moot point now, bring on the 5 ply!

Thanks again for contributing!!!
    God is great, beer is good and people are crazy.

Billy Currington

Quote Originally Posted by FishoutaFlorida View Post

Now what about the jointing method? Scarf, butt backed or Payson? Keep those comments coming!

Back to the boat now,

Eric
    I've only done scarfing and butt blocks and 100% prefer scarfing. A well made scarf is as strong as the ply itself, easier to plan and execute overall construction (no blocks to account for), produces no hard spots if bent and makes for easier maintenance when it comes time to clean and re-paint/re-varnish. Also, once you get the hang of it, scarfing is a fun and rewarding part of boat building. Makes you feel like a real boat builder.
    Last edited by Dusty Yevsky; 07-23-2018 at 08:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Yevsky View Post
    I've only done scarfing and butt blocks and 100% prefer scarfing. A well made scarf is as strong as the ply itself, easier to plan and execute overall construction (no blocks to account for), produces no hard spots if bent and makes for easier maintenance when it comes time to clean and re-paint/re-varnish. Also, once you get the hang of it, scarfing is a fun and rewarding part of boat building. Makes you feel like a real boat builder.
    Thanks Dusty, looks like the way to go is scarfing.

scarf em up! Even done half a---ed they look better then blocks!
    Time to work on my scarf skills. Thanks again!

Billy Currington

All the time you used setting up "testing" equipment could have been time used to set up a scarfing jig lol.

The beauty of an epoxy scarf joint is it doesn't have to be perfect and actually probably stronger than if it was.

No epoxy here, except on the sacrificial outside stems which were steam bent originally. it's only 18 years old and built to look like its a hundred years old.
    Denise, Bristol PA, Oday30, Anchor Yacht Club, On tidal Delaware River. my current project; http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...0-Ducker-Resto

fish, i see that you have made up your mind on the type of plywood and i think it is a good choice. just a little info-plywood can be many types and your choice i think is bs1088, a european i believe standard. american plywood uses different standards.you have interior, exterior as determined by the type of glue used. then you have grades of plies used. like C-D means a C face with no or few holes but has patchs and a D face that allows holes and knots-usually used as house roofing underlayment. now as to marine grade, that means A-A faces or maybe A-B faces AND at least B interior plies with no voids. it can have patches (boats) . an A-C panel will be just that, A-C-C or A-C-C-C-C meaning there voids are permissible even though it may be marked exterior. as you can see no voids mean no flat spots when bending and no gaps along the edges. good luck and it looks like you are moving right along. now while i sold plywood for 5 years or so, it was back in the 70's. but i don't think much of the basics have changed. you can always go to the apa (american plywood assoc.) web site and get more info.

jim
    Last edited by MADOC1; 08-06-2018 at 04:25 PM.

Greetings Jim,

Thanks for the info! Part of the decision making process was looking at the materials available locally. When I mention "marine" I ended up with the exterior A-C with a water resistant glue. But when I mention bs1088 I'm looking at a 5 ply 6mm product.

We spent last Thanksgiving not far from Spicewood. We used to live in San Antonio and our daughter and son-in-law lived in Austin. Lake Travis even had some water in it!

Eric

Billy Currington