Thread: PIA teak oil pigment

Default PIA teak oil pigment

I'm trying to prepare some areas for varnishing.Over the years there have been some pigmented oils applied. The oil is long gone but the pigment remains. Any suggestions on removing pigment and prep would be appreciated. I don't expect it to be easy. thanks

Default Re: PIA teak oil pigment

Flakey at all? I can't think of a chemical, I'd try mechanical: scrape or sand. Maybe wood bleach?

Not flaky enough.the heavier pigment comes off with scrubbing but still leaves plenty in the grain. Not attractive either.

You might be stuck with it. If you find a solution, post it.

Two part bleach may remove the stain but then it will remove all of the color from the wood requiring, more stain to replace the missing color. A French cabinet scraping might help remove the surface stain but the wood my suffer from too much removal of the surface wood. Sadly, this staining of teak, is an example of something to avoid when working on a wooden boat. Teak is better off not being stained! A highly rated UV protected varnish is the best protection from the sun. Otherwise, raw Teak that is treated with a solution of citric acid is the way to go. Citric acid is available in bulk powder form that is to be mixed with water from most chemical supply houses. It will turn the teak the same Snow White color that has been prized by the Brittish Navy for over 200 years!
    Jay