Thread: Penobscot Bay Mooring for a Week?

Default Penobscot Bay Mooring for a Week?

We're throwing together a 5-day cruise up to P. Bay in a couple of weeks and for timing reasons are thinking we might sail up there (a solid couple of days in my boat), knock around Camden, Castine, Brooklin, etc. for a few days , then maybe leave the boat on a mooring somewhere and pick it up later (a week or so) for the return.

Anybody know of a cheap-ish mooring option anywhere in the area? Specific location not important, though the western side would probably be most convenient. Thanks for any ideas.

Ben

Default Re: Penobscot Bay Mooring for a Week?

Contact Belmont Boatworks about floats they share in Belfast. A while ago they offered free mooring there for a certain amount of time. They may not do it anymore, but they may know of other options. Perhaps check with The Apprenticeshop in Rockland also.

http://www.belmontboatworks.com/float-construction/

If I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, eventually they would find me attractive.

There are some in Rockland - been a few years since I've rented one.

Drive up & see? Of course driving Rte 1 from Bath to Rockland/Camden this time of year might take longer than sailing....
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Johanson Boatworks in Rockland maintains some moorings.
    They always treated me well. Worth a call.
    phone 207-596-7060

Free moorings at Holbrook island just off Castine and any of the nearby towns will usually have guest moorings. Searsport has a town dock within walking distance of the museum and coffeshop etc. Check with the harbormaster at any of these nearby towns, they are all friendly. The more popular spots like Camden can be problematic.

Interesting information, as I plan to sail to Maine this summer.

Islesboro is very nice... Dark Harbor, 700 Acre Island, Cradle cove, etc
    Warren Island has moorings, first come first served...
    https://www.maine.gov/dacf/parks/cam...sland%20BW.pdf

Google>"Islesboro moorings"
    or> North Haven, Vinylhaven

Good info, folks. Thanks. Seems like around 30 bucks a night is the norm, which has gotten me thinking that maybe BUYING a mooring somewhere in Pen Bay would be a better option ... definitely won't be the last time we'll be heading up that way ... wheels turning ...

Quote Originally Posted by Bark View Post
    Good info, folks. Thanks. Seems like around 30 bucks a night is the norm, which has gotten me thinking that maybe BUYING a mooring somewhere in Pen Bay would be a better option ... definitely won't be the last time we'll be heading up that way ... wheels turning ...
    That may be more complicated and expensive than just laying out cash for a mooring, depending on where you wish to do it: waiting lists for permits, annual fees, inspection regulations, etc. Good luck however things go!
    Last edited by rbgarr; 07-18-2018 at 10:25 AM.
    If I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, eventually they would find me attractive.

Re post no 2, I spoke with the folks at Belmont Boat works (Belfast). Their moorings are mostly seasonal rentals.
    If you are interested, call for a quote for a transient mooring 207-342-2885.

interesting thread, I have the same question

That may be more complicated and expensive than just laying out cash for a mooring, depending on where you wish to do it: waiting lists for permits, annual fees, inspection regulations, etc.
    Yeah, the mooring purchase idea didn't pan out, at least for now. I was looking at one for sale in Belfast harbor, and after speaking with the harbormaster, the purchase process didn't seem overly complicated. Pretty spot, too - I drove up and took a look. But the expenses do seem to add up (this one was due for new top chain at least, and was overdue for a general inspection) and it's a long way up there (Belfast is a good 3 day sail from home). I may revisit this idea (maintaining a Pen Bay mooring) in future seasons, but for this year's cruise I'm thinking we'll stay in the area of Casco Bay or Muscongus Bay. Penobscot Bay is awesome, of course, but as a friend pointed out, if we only have 5 days, it's a shame to hurry up there and miss some great spots along the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Bark View Post
    I was looking at one for sale in Belfast harbor, and after speaking with the harbormaster, the purchase process didn't seem overly complicated.... and it's a long way up there (Belfast is a good 3 day sail from home). I may revisit this idea (maintaining a Pen Bay mooring) in future seasons, but for this year's cruise I'm thinking we'll stay in the area of Casco Bay or Muscongus Bay. Penobscot Bay is awesome, of course, but as a friend pointed out, if we only have 5 days, it's a shame to hurry up there and miss some great spots along the way.
    Unless I lived very near Belfast iId be nervous about leaving a boat moored there. It can be very exposed at times: https://bangordailynews.com/2017/10/...se-than-sandy/

And yes, Muscongus and John's Bay(s) are often overlooked as cruising grounds. Highly recommended if you can't get further east in a timely fashion. Lots of anchoring spots and MITA islands to explore.