Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Waxwing and Puffin visit Casco Bay

Default Re: Waxwing and Puffin visit Casco Bay

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Hazard View Post
    I gave them a wave and a smile. Realizing their attempt at stealth had failed, they reverted to normal teenager mode and called back and forth as they launched their fleet.
    Well now, that's not very different than you and John at 530 AM yelling across an anchorage about what a pretty morning it is, how the coffee is coming, what your dreamt about, I think I like vanilla, say did you see that lobsterboat, whattayousay we just keep yapping until Jonm and Callsign emerge from their snug cocoons with a glint of vengeance in their eyes...

I am as quiet as a church mouse of a morning. Unless the old SVEA is about to explode.........

Alas! The few times I've tried to post photos online I've wound up feeling like a paleolithic knuckle-dragger! I do not own a proper camera. Perhaps I could convince you to take a few artful shots next time I see you?

Slackers, layabouts and lardbutts need to be alerted to the joys of the dawn's early light! Wachet auf, ruft uns die stimme, dude!

Slackers, layabouts and lardbutts need to be alerted to the joys of the dawn's early light! Wachet auf, ruft uns die stimme, dude!
    As long as the alerter is good with having the 0100 moon pointed out to them...
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Abso-bloomin'-lutely!
    Maybe no bagpipes at 3am, though...

Abso-bloomin'-lutely!
    Maybe no bagpipes at 3am, though...
    Years ago we went cruising on Lake Champlain with some friends - one of whom was very good on the pipes. He played the sun down for about 20 minutes in what felt like a mostly deserted cove. When he stopped, we heard applause from 4 or 5 houses scattered around the shore. Nice end of the day.

I'm good with none @ 0300 though.

Oh, Hey! Do you see that lobsterboat by the dawn’s early light?

And what a pretty little rose!

The island is covered with them.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by John hartmann; 07-16-2018 at 04:22 AM.

We had a couple of hours to wait as the tide floated us, and it was an unhurried breakfast and general tidying up as we got the boats ready for the final day on the water. It was a bit before 8 when we left the beach:

We had the flooding tide to help us on our way, but it was glassy calm to start:

We rowed about two miles, from Crow to the eastern point of Chebeague before we found wind from the south.....the hatched bit shows rowing leg:

For the first time of the trip we had tide with us and wind at our backs, and we were able to sail the final leg across the bay, and all the way up the Royal River to the ramp.

As we proceeded up the Royal a large construction barge appeared around a bend in the river, powered by a pusher boat. It had mooring legs at the corners and a dump truck on deck, if memory serves. Fortunately the tide had filled in enough that we could get WAY out of the channel in plenty of time. The crew gave us a friendly wave as they passed.
    John sailed all the way to the launch ramp, while I opted to break out the oars for the last half mile. As I passed a marina I got a few blank stares from the cabin cruiser folks.

So as usual after one of these trips, I came home with a list of minor alterations to do on Puffin's rig to get her ready for the next outing, which will be the Small Reach Regatta, a little over a week away. Time to get cracking!

The Puffin motif sure suits that boat.

Nice cruise report!

Thanks for the photos and 'trip report'. Glad you got to Chebeague. We lived there for a summer and it was like the cliche, stepping back in time. Chebeague and a number of other Casco Bay islands voted to secede from the shoreside Cumberland County a decade ago. Interesting story: http://www.chebeague.org/TOWN/articl...orecaster.html

FWIW, if anyone wishes to replicate the trip it may be easier to use this launch/parking ramp versus the one up the winding, shallows of the Royal River. A bit longer drive to get to, but would get you closer to deep water sooner and the outer Bay islands that the guys enjoyed:

Casco Bay (South Harpswell)

Potts Point at Harpswell Neck Road South Harpswell, ME Phone:

Trailer parking. Information: Maine Bureau of Parks and Lands, 207-287-4952.
    Last edited by rbgarr; 07-16-2018 at 08:12 AM.
    If I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, eventually they would find me attractive.

Thanks for posting, John. Somehow I missed this thread at first. (Hmm... probably because I spent July sailing my Alaska in Georgian Bay...)

The Maine coast is on my list. Of course, lots of places are on my list. I suppose I really should sail somewhere on the coast again to remind myself what these "tides" are all about. They seem to have an inordinate amount of influence on other sailors.

And when are you bringing Waxwing out to Georgian Bay? Here's what you're missing:

DSCF8164.jpg

Cheers!

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

Oh, yes, Georgian Bay is high on my “to do” list! It is far enough afield for me and an extensive enough sailing ground that it will be a couple of years before I can slow down my work schedule enough to create a block of time for it.....
    Yes, between anchoring out in 10-12 foot tidal ranges and navigating the complexities of tidal currents on Maine’s corrugated and island studded coastline, tides demand more brain power than everything else involved with dinghy cruising, for me....although fog has to be considered as well:

This was the start of a fifteen mile day in Penobscot Bay a couple of weeks ago....visibility maybe an eighth of a mile, and it only got worse from here.....

Beautiful scene, John! Somewhat reminiscent of our coast when it looks like that.
    Alex

"“He was unfamiliar with the sea and did not like it much: it was a place that made you cold and wet and sick” " Nevil Shute, Trustee From the Toolroom

Quote Originally Posted by AJZimm View Post
    Beautiful scene, John! Somewhat reminiscent of our coast when it looks like that.
    Having spent some time on both coasts (though far more in Maine) - I see a lot of similarities.

Quote Originally Posted by John hartmann View Post
    Oh, yes, Georgian Bay is high on my “to do” list! It is far enough afield for me and an extensive enough sailing ground that it will be a couple of years before I can slow down my work schedule enough to create a block of time for it.....
    Yes, between anchoring out in 10-12 foot tidal ranges and navigating the complexities of tidal currents on Maine’s corrugated and island studded coastline, tides demand more brain power than everything else involved with dinghy cruising, for me....although fog has to be considered as well:
    If you're used to fog out there on the east coast, you'll feel right at home when you make it to Georgian Bay, tides or no:

DSCN5112.jpg

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

Glad you liked the thread, Daniel...yes, it was pretty classic summer weather for Maine—light and variable in the mornings, with the sea breeze starting mid-day, and getting stronger through the afternoon. The second day I had a reef in after lunch.

Really neat thread, wished we had been able to spend a bit more time this year in the region. There are a lot of isolated coves positioned on the two bays on the southern region of the state that we can anchor and enjoy with our condo boat.;<}
    Happy trails to you.

John, Rob,

Great tale, evocative photos. Really makes me wish I didn't live 500 miles away.

Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by John hartmann View Post
    Hello, Steve, no I am back in Vermont as I write this.

The forecast was for light winds from the south, with intermittent cloud cover overnight. Because it was such a mild night, I chose to just cover myself with a light fly to keep off morning dew instead of setting up the boom tent....and woke at 12:30 or so with gusty wind lifting corners of the loose fly and snapping them in the wind. I tucked in the loose edges as it began to spit rain. The wind was from directly astern, and waves were slapping the transoms noisily. It was not conducive to sleep, and the squall kept up for an hour or so. Fortunately, the rain never got serious, and the short fetch from Whaleboat to Crow did not allow big waves to build. I have no idea when I dropped off to sleep, but do not remember a thing till morning—not taking the bottom as the tide went out, or even the first of the kayak group bringing their boats down to shore before dawn. The fisherman was right where I had set it the evening before when Rob moved it so that it would be out of the launching kayaker’s way. The squall was a bit more of a challenge than I would have preferred as I gain experience with how this new anchor performs, but it seemed to handle this without fuss, so a good start to it&rsquo;s career.

Another new bit of kit for Waxwing this season is a pair of beaching legs I made last winter:

This one doubles as a boarding step....I have had a couple of guests go for a swim and have difficulty reboarding, so this provides a solid toe hold for getting back aboard.
    The idea and the image stolen for future reference, thanks John.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Agreed, Andrew—Phoebe would be a fine boat for adventures of this sort! Peter, I am happy if the idea will be useful....my beaching legs were originally built without the step, but when guests had trouble re boarding in deep water with a simple rope loop, I added the step after the fact. Probably not too useful in an emergency, but fine for a planned swim away from a shore....I think I have some close up pics from getting them built that show some more detail.....

Here you go—a picture showing simple blocking to let the leg rest with contact at a couple of strakes:

And the bit at the rail—a padded block attached to the leg resting on the gunwale, and an “L” shaped block held beneath the gunwale and secured with a bolt and knob:

A few scraps of leather, some paracord, and you are ready for an ebb tide, or a swimmer happy for a step up....