Thread: The Marshmallow Test

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

Default The Marshmallow Test

The marshmallow test is one of the most famous pieces of social-science research: Put a marshmallow in front of a child, tell her that she can have a second one if she can go 15 minutes without eating the first one, and then leave the room. Whether she’s patient enough to double her payout is supposedly indicative of a willpower that will pay dividends down the line, at school and eventually at work. Passing the test is, to many, a promising signal of future success.
    Apparently, when first tried, students who demonstrated self control went on to be more successful in their chosen fields, had more control over their lives are were, by whatever measure used, happier that those who couldn't wait. Their ability to temper their desires gave them more control over the outcomes in their lives.

Who do you want in charge? Someone who passes the marshmallow test, or someone who drinks the juice?

Trump.JPG
    Last edited by gypsie; 07-12-2018 at 10:49 PM.
    "People should be able to access these benefits [Social Welfare] as a matter of right, with no more loss of their own standards of self-respect than would be involved in collecting from an insurance company the proceeds of an endowment policy on which they have been paying premiums for years."
    Robert Menzies - Liberal Party (Conservative) Prime Minister of Australia.

Default Re: The Marshmallow Test

Perfect.
    Nosce te ipsum

I have met a few haptic convulsives, I wish I had rather not...
    Quote Originally Posted by gypsie View Post
    Apparently, when first tried, students who demonstrated self control went on to be more successful in their chosen fields, had more control over their lives are were, by whatever measure used, happier that those who couldn't wait. Their ability to temper their desires gave them more control over the outcomes in their lives.

Who do you want in charge? Someone who passes the marshmallow test, or someone who drinks the juice?

Trump.JPG

Trump.JPG
    I had a Dog...Maggie. She was always well fed, got treats and after a while she started to eat like a Cat. Just enough to be full, and leave the rest. A neighbor Dog , a good friend by the way, who we loved, would come and eat her food. She never put up a fuss and I think she knew there would always be something to eat.

Having plenty and not being hungry helps us wait.

Once in Vietnam, I was so thirsty for water I would have possibility killed for it. Water is not that big a thing these days.

Need defines how we react.

This Pres hungers for things that are meaningless. That is a danger to us all.
    PaulF

Now we know the secret behind the orange hair and complexion.

Quote Originally Posted by paulf View Post

This Pres hungers for things that are meaningless. That is a danger to us all.
    He hungers for things that are meaningful to a small child and that is also a danger.

Quote Originally Posted by paulf View Post
    Need defines how we react.
    Yes. This is probably why kids from more privileged backgrounds do better on the marshmallow test than kids from more deprived backgrounds.

It's almost as if growing up with enough is an advantage that leads to greater success later in life.

What are you doing about it?

Two Scoops & Chocolate Cake are some of his favorite things
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

The marshmallow test is one of the most famous pieces of social-science research: Put a marshmallow in front of a child, tellher that she can have a second one if she can go 15 minutes without eating the first one, and then leave the room. Whether she’s patient enough to double her payout is supposedly indicative of a willpower that will pay dividends down the line, at school and eventually at work. Passing the test is, to many, a promising signal of future success.

So is the marshmallow test for females only?
    What happens if the child is male?
    What happens if the child is transgender?
    Enjoy a good rum on the rocks at sunset.