Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: looking for a good screw

Default looking for a good screw

very generally speaking, what's your favourite style of head?

why?
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Default Re: looking for a good screw

And there's nothing dirty about that at all.

Get your mind out of the gutter people!
    -Jim

Sucker for a pretty face.
    1934 27' Blanchard Cuiser ~ Amazon, Ex. Emalu
    19'6" Caledonia Yawl ~ Sparrow

Getting into trouble one board at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by jsjpd1 View Post
    And there's nothing dirty about that at all.

Get your mind out of the gutter people!
    Just so, let's just see Katherine try to flame me on this thread like she did on the bush hog thread last night!

More seriously doing some indoor and outdoor carpentry projects, and one or two in the shop and also helping my neighbor with his barn rebuild and now I'm dealing with a multitude of screw types and bits. Kinda like to standardize. . .
    Last edited by Paul Pless; 07-12-2018 at 06:17 PM.

What's the name of that screw that looks a bit like a Phillips head but you don't need differently sized bits?

Robertson. Hands down, no contest.

Takes high torque without cam-out, screw stays on screwdriver in all positions, no little bitty pointy bits on either screw head or screwdriver to wear off, screwdriver handles are colour-coded by size for easy ID.
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

I like square drive or torx. If I am using a brace and screwdriver bit a flat or Phillips is okay but not as easy as square or torx.

By the way, as I understand it, Phillips was invented to ensure that if excessive torque was applied, the bit would slip out of the fastener, thus preventing overtightening (at the expense of tearing up the screw head). I know this is not a smart statement for the Bilge, but I may be wrong about that.

Oval head torx hands down.

Burlington, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by mmd View Post

Takes high torque without cam-out, screw stays on screwdriver in all positions, no little bitty pointy bits on either screw head or screwdriver to wear off, screwdriver handles are colour-coded by size for easy ID.
    +1
    i throw out all others.
    Stay calm, be brave....wait for the signs. Possibly precariously prevaricating.

Robertson if you're starting afresh. Pozidrive is way superior to philips and is most common ,so thats what I use. Good ole PZ2.

When my dad died and we cleaned out his shop, I stumbled across a rather sizable collection of old 50s Stanley flat head brass wood screws. Beautiful things, I miss America.

Not outdoor,but they are better than anything I've ever used.
    https://www.wood-maxx.ca
    Even the little screws are #2(red)
    end of story.

Driver of 10k-ish per year.
    R
    Sleep with one eye open.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian McColgin View Post
    What's the name of that screw that looks a bit like a Phillips head but you don't need differently sized bits?
    Reed & Prince?

I'm with mmd on this.

I like Robertson & Torx.

Excepting big-box decking screws - the Robertson is far more available. Esp. for marine-grade fasteners.

Thank goodness slotted have mostly gone away. I keep a full kit of drivers for those oddball occasions... refinishing antique furniture, for instance.

Phillips are the most common. I don't like them, and don't buy them - except when I have to match something existing... or the type of fastener I'm after is only available that way.

Posidrive is similar to Phillips - but slightly better, as there's a bit more contact area. A lot of Euro-style hardware uses this type.

Quadrex is a combo head, that will accept both Phillips and Robertson. I buy them when I can't find the fastener in a straight Robertson.

Tri-wing or Spanner are security bits used in public locations. When you don't want any ol' goof with a screwdriver to be able to steal the hardware... or vandalize the setup.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Frearson?

https://www.woodenboatstore.com/prod...hree-quarter_8
    In my work with the defendants (at the Nuremberg Trails 1945-1949)
    I was searching for the nature of evil and I now think I have come close to defining it. A lack of empathy. Its the one characteristic that connects all the
    defendants, a genuine incapacity to feel with their fellow men.

Evil, I think, is the absence of empathy.

Captain G. M. Gilbert, Army psychologist

I've built 2 decks using Phillips and one deck using Robertson. I'll never use Phillips for deck screws again. I like self-drilling SS Robertson Deck Screws better than Galv, pointed screws, but points are not as important as head slotting. I like socket heads cap screws better than Phillips, but they often do not apply to the situation. I have hundreds of fasteners, all sorted. My screwdrivers all have multiple bits stored in the handles (I won't use dedicated one-point screw drivers, except as a last resort, or if miniature hads). One side advantage of insert screw drivers are that the points are hardened. Dedicated screw drivers often have crap steel for shafts.

Problem with a hardened screwdriver shaft, is you can wind up like Paul if you use it outside its given purpose... Only the point has to be hardened.

Robertson used to make and sell tips to screwdriver manufacturers. The tips were pressed/cast/inserted into a soft shaft. Often the handles were simple cast plastic. If you are at a garage sale and find a simple Robertson screwdriver with a tip inserted into the shaft, and it is made by Cluthe (Canadian manufacturer, long since defunct) grab it, they are the best. Even after decades, the screws stick to these bits. Cheap Chinese ones don't hold as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Haberland View Post
    Yes... aka Reed & Prince. I lump them in with Phillips. A slight variation, with no real improvement. The only advantage is that one can use the same tip on a variety of fastener sizes... it just sets deeper in the larger fasteners. For some reason, it used to be a common head for marine fasteners... but that seems to be changing. Thassa good thing.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

If you're into old Chevs (mine was a 59) you'll need 3 different sized screwdrivers for these goldanged friggers
    IMMIGRANTS BUILT AMERICA - IMMIGRANTS BUILD AMERICA

Reed & Prince. Reasonable to drive, and reasonable to clean out the slots when removing. The latter is the main problem with square, etc. drives.

Is that a Chevy bowtie?

Clutch-heads. There are several varieties. More a machinist's kit than a woodworkers. There are plenty of other oddities out there, too. Here's a list, though I'm not posi-drive it's complete...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...rives#Frearson
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Quote Originally Posted by mmd View Post

The only problem being, when using them in sunken holes, the bit grips the screw too well and the you pull the impact driver out with no bit left in the magnetic holder. Luckily I got a contractor pack of 50 bits.

Pozi/Philips suck for any bulk application, IMHO.
    'When I leave I don't know what I'm hoping to find. When I leave I don't know what I'm leaving behind...'

Dan, I have had consistent good luck cleaning out clogged Roberson screw heads using a small gasket hook (looks like an awl with the tip bent to 90 deg.). Varnish, paint, sludge, it all comes out rather easily.

AK, I have had success with lightly tapping the bit holder a couple of times, each knock ninety degrees from the last, before I try to withdraw the bit & holder. I can't recall using an impact driver with Robertson screws, but I have a screwdriver with interchangeable bits that is big enough to really lean on, and have 'stuck' it on the Robertson head screw down in that hole pretty good at times.
    Last edited by mmd; 07-12-2018 at 07:33 PM.
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    Yes... aka Reed & Prince. I lump them in with Phillips. A slight variation, with no real improvement. The only advantage is that one can use the same tip on a variety of fastener sizes... it just sets deeper in the larger fasteners. For some reason, it used to be a common head for marine fasteners... but that seems to be changing. Thassa good thing.
    The other difference is that Phillips are designed to cam out, to avoid over tightening. It's really for manufacturers whose employees use very powerful drivers.

These days I mostly use Torx drive screws for general construction work.

"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Put my vote down for Robertson.
    Rattling the teacups.

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

Frearson. Invented about the same time as the philips head.
    The philips became the screw of choice because Ford took it up and bingo - volume = cheap and unbiquitous.

I've been using a lot of cap headed screws lately, i was always a counter sunk man.
    Square drive is great.
    "People should be able to access these benefits [Social Welfare] as a matter of right, with no more loss of their own standards of self-respect than would be involved in collecting from an insurance company the proceeds of an endowment policy on which they have been paying premiums for years."
    Robert Menzies - Liberal Party (Conservative) Prime Minister of Australia.

Robertson.

Obviously.

Robertson. No contest.
    Nosce te ipsum

In my mind, there's no such thing as a square drive, it's called Roberston. Flat screw drivers are called slot screwdrivers, you show your lack of knowledge otherwise. Philips are just so and if you refer to them as a "star" screwdriver, I'll repeatedly ask you what you're talking about. As a navy man, terminology is important to me. Critically so in many situations. Most of you are sailors and can understand that.
    Robertson hands down, there's no comparison with anything out there.
    If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
    -Henry David Thoreau-

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wilson View Post
    These days I mostly use Torx drive screws for general construction work.

I am with Keith here - A preference for T25 Torx headed screws for various work table frames, several decks, and general home construction .

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
    In my mind, there's no such thing as a square drive, it's called Roberston. Flat screw drivers are called slot screwdrivers, you show your lack of knowledge otherwise. Philips are just so and if you refer to them as a "star" screwdriver, I'll repeatedly ask you what you're talking about. As a navy man, terminology is important to me. Critically so in many situations. Most of you are sailors and can understand that.
    Robertson hands down, there's no comparison with anything out there.
    Actually - square drive and Robertson are two separate things. The difference is - Robertson is tapered. But the true square drive is less common these days, and the terms are used interchangeably. And the systems can be interchanged as well... to a degree.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Navy men and the ferschlunger terminology. When I was fishing at Montauk there was a marine repair shop run by a retired machinist CPO. He would lend tools but he insisted that everything be called by the correct terminology.

So one day, other mates hiding around to watch the fun, I ran into the shop and shouted, "Chief, give me a wrench."

"What kind of wrench?" he replied. "Box end or open or socket or adjustable or . . . "

"Doesn't matter so long's it's heavy. I'm gonna use it for a hammer."

And I ran.

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

^
    "People should be able to access these benefits [Social Welfare] as a matter of right, with no more loss of their own standards of self-respect than would be involved in collecting from an insurance company the proceeds of an endowment policy on which they have been paying premiums for years."
    Robert Menzies - Liberal Party (Conservative) Prime Minister of Australia.