Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 23

Thread: looking for a good screw

Default Re: looking for a good screw

Cross head screws can be OK - but - and it's a huge BUT - there are many different designs - most of which look like a number two phillips driver might work, so there is a terrible temptation just to attack the thing with the first vaguely suitable driver which comes to hand - and practice cursing.

Get the right driver bit - in as-new condition and the odds are bigly improved.
    Creationists aren't mad - they're possessed of demons.

I prefer old fashioned slot head screws.I know that a suitable screwdriver can be found just about anywhere,there is nothing simpler when a repair is necessary and unless you are proposing to do a job requiring hundreds of screws,the notional time saving of using a proprietary head and driver isn't that great.I have in the distant past put in four thousand slot head screws in a day when I had to.Should I ever be unfortunate enough to need to apply a greater number then I suspect Torx and a supply of bits might have some merit.Possibly of more concern is the question of how many people drill a correctly sized clearance hole through the first piece.

Quote Originally Posted by John Meachen View Post
    I prefer old fashioned slot head screws.I know that a suitable screwdriver can be found just about anywhere,there is nothing simpler when a repair is necessary and unless you are proposing to do a job requiring hundreds of screws,the notional time saving of using a proprietary head and driver isn't that great.I have in the distant past put in four thousand slot head screws in a day when I had to.Should I ever be unfortunate enough to need to apply a greater number then I suspect Torx and a supply of bits might have some merit.Possibly of more concern is the question of how many people drill a correctly sized clearance hole through the first piece.
    John - all I can do is wish you well in finding some sort of 12-step program in Great Britain to help you overcome this condition <G>
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

I prefer old fashioned slot head screws.I know that a suitable screwdriver can be found just about anywhere,
    In my part of the world, a #2 Robertson is the old-fashioned, ubiquitous construction screw. Any toolbox will have a battered Canadian Tire red-handled driver that will fit. We also keep slot head screwdrivers, of course, for opening paint cans.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Taylor View Post
    In my part of the world, a #2 Robertson is the old-fashioned, ubiquitous construction screw. Any toolbox will have a battered Canadian Tire red-handled driver that will fit. We also keep slot head screwdrivers, of course, for opening paint cans.
    k'YOU... are a bad, bad, man.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Well, SKROO that!!!

(Thanks, Grandpop!)

A red Robbie also works well as a nail set.
    R
    Sleep with one eye open.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Williamson View Post
    A red Robbie also works well as a nail set.
    R
    And for knocking out rusted bolts.

Pless prolly could have used a green on his silly roll pin.
    R
    Sleep with one eye open.

While Robertson may be ubiquitous in Canuckistan - they are far less common in the backwards country to the south. In fact, I have run into many square drive screws down here that do not have the Robertson taper & am not a fan.

I have done 2 house decks over the last year where I used hidden fasteners (the T shaped plastic/stainless ones that go into a slot in the board). The screws for them were all Torx & after driving a couple of thousand of them, I will say that they do work pretty well. One drawback is that when doing a zillion of them (& getting sloppy - "I can reach that one without moving over closer"), it's easy to get a little off angle with the Torx - which will strip the head. Robertson are deeper & seem to have a more forgiving shape - or maybe it's that they auto-align with the driver better.

On a boat, I worry/wonder about how well a Torx head will work when 20 years old - as the shape is pretty sensitive to the bit fit.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    after driving a couple of thousand of them, I will say that they do work pretty well.
    People do seem to like them. Can you pop one on the bit and drive the screw in with one hand? I've spent some leisurely hours doing Roof Yoga, lying on my back under a third-floor dormer, hanging soffit boards while gripping the safety rope with my free hand and jamming one leg against the side of brick chimney. The ability of the Robbie to stay on the bit really helped me align my chakras.

The proof of a boat screw - well, any application, really - lies not in the initial insertion, but in the withdrawal after five years and seven coats of paint.
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

People do seem to like them. Can you pop one on the bit and drive the screw in with one hand? I've spent some leisurely hours doing Roof Yoga, lying on my back under a third-floor dormer, hanging soffit boards while gripping the safety rope with my free hand and jamming one leg against the side of brick chimney. The ability of the Robbie to stay on the bit really helped me align my chakras.
    They're nowhere near as good as a proper Robertson for that.

I think you need to set up a rooftop yoga retreat! You could get rich.

Isn't a guy supposed to hang on with just his mind?
    R
    Sleep with one eye open.

Quote Originally Posted by mmd View Post
    The proof of a boat screw - well, any application, really - lies not in the initial insertion, but in the withdrawal after five years and seven coats of paint.
    In near perfect consonance for those 'looking for a good screw'

While Robertson may be ubiquitous in Canuckistan - they are far less common in the backwards country to the south. In fact, I have run into many square drive screws down here that do not have the Robertson taper & am not a fan.

I have done 2 house decks over the last year where I used hidden fasteners (the T shaped plastic/stainless ones that go into a slot in the board). The screws for them were all Torx & after driving a couple of thousand of them, I will say that they do work pretty well. One drawback is that when doing a zillion of them (& getting sloppy - "I can reach that one without moving over closer"), it's easy to get a little off angle with the Torx - which will strip the head. Robertson are deeper & seem to have a more forgiving shape - or maybe it's that they auto-align with the driver better.

On a boat, I worry/wonder about how well a Torx head will work when 20 years old - as the shape is pretty sensitive to the bit fit.
    Just hammer in a hex key. Itís what I do when I try to remove one of those dumb things and the cute little flaps wrench off.
    Peace,
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    Just hammer in a hex key. It’s what I do when I try to remove one of those dumb things and the cute little flaps wrench off.
    Peace,
    Robert
    Which of course begs the question - why no hex screws? They're certainly common enough in bolts (aka cap screws):

Which of course begs the question - why no hex screws? They're certainly common enough in bolts (aka cap screws):

When they round out, cut a slot in them.

Peace,
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    When they round out, cut a slot in them.

Peace,
    Robert
    Which takes us right back to the ones everyone here loves to hate!

Which takes us right back to the ones everyone here loves to hate!
    Aye. To use a slotted screw properly, you must use a hacksaw to cut the slot, and an impact driver to move it.

To be fair, most of my screw experience has been removing machine screws welded in place by time and neglect, so I know they eventually all become slot heads. Hahaha.

Peace,
    Robert

Which takes us right back to the ones almost everyone here loves to hate!
    ftfy

ftfy
    Thanks. My boat's all new bottom planks are fastened with slotted. Ridiculous price too!

Quote Originally Posted by johnw View Post
    I'd heard they were designed to cam out, but I'm willing to learn. What's your source?

One Good Turn: a Natural History of the Screwdriver and the Screw, by Witold Rybczynski.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/64916.One_Good_Turn

A fine book, well worth the read, as is most of Mr. Rybczynski's work.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. ó P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
    In my mind, there's no such thing as a square drive, it's called Roberston. Flat screw drivers are called slot screwdrivers, you show your lack of knowledge otherwise. Philips are just so and if you refer to them as a "star" screwdriver, I'll repeatedly ask you what you're talking about. As a navy man, terminology is important to me. Critically so in many situations. Most of you are sailors and can understand that.
    Robertson hands down, there's no comparison with anything out there.
    I have used square drives for years before I ever heard of Robertson. Not the same as sailing terminology at all, where there are so many types of lines, you can't communicate without the names effectively. Never heard of any confusion referring to a screw as a square drive.

" or maybe it's that they auto-align with the driver better. " Thats what the taper in the genuine Robertson screw head does.

John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

Torx. Robertson/square-drive are better than Phillips as they don't cam out, but the thrust angles are still inferior to Torx. Torx was engineered to fix the shortcomings of previous drive types, and somebody was thinking.
    When you can take the pebble from my hand, it will be time for you to leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Carey View Post
    One Good Turn: a Natural History of the Screwdriver and the Screw, by Witold Rybczynski.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/64916.One_Good_Turn

A fine book, well worth the read, as is most of Mr. Rybczynski's work.
    Thanks!