Thread: Ic cube and the 4 billion year old nutrino

Default Ic cube and the 4 billion year old nutrino

Billions of nutrinos race through everything in the universe at just under the speed of light all the time.

They've just, for the first time, identified a source and found it with conventional telescopes.
    "For most of astronomy's history, understanding the heavens was limited to what we could see: the narrow band of the electromagnetic spectrum that constitutes visible light. Only over the last century or so have we expanded beyond that, into the infrared and microwaves and up into the higher energies of X-rays and gamma-rays. The past few years have brought an even more fundamental change: we've started detecting astronomical events without photons at all. This was done most famously by LIGO, the hardware that detected gravitational waves. But LIGO was actually late to the game, as the South Pole's IceCube detector had started listening in on cosmic neutrinos a few years earlier."

https://arstechnica.com/science/2018...nted-at-earth/

Default Re: Ic cube and the 4 billion year old nutrino

I actually know some of those guys. The collaboration is so large and the list so hard to find that I wonder how they maintain their citation list.

Default Re: Ic cube and the 4 billion year old nutrino

I've met quite a few of them myself. It really is a huge project and remarkably expensive. Lots of science going on at Pole station.
    The best helping hand you will ever receive is the one at the end of your own arm.