Thread: SOF vs stitch and glue kayak advice/experience

Default SOF vs stitch and glue kayak advice/experience

I'm hoping to get some advice so I can make the correct decision on a SOF kayak or stitch and glue for what I'll be using it for and where. My dilemma as to which way to go lies in the robustness in each for use in rivers that can get very shallow, talking an inch or 2 maybe in spots so dragging to deep nice sections. My main locale for floating is southern Missouri rivers mainly to fish and or just do a float with my son or wife. Which one will hold up better in your mind? I've seen the videos of SOF yaks getting pounded on but don't get a good feel for how they hold up for going across river rock fairly consistently and being beached on the same stuff. I've got Gentry Chuckanut 15 plans (on the fence between the 15 and 17 but that's another discussion) and I really want to build it as it fits the bill for my use, not to mention it is beautiful, but at the same time I don't want it to get beat up to the point it needs complete rebuild after only a few years. I know there is a certain life to SOF but just trying to compare the 2. Thanks for any input.

Default Re: SOF vs stitch and glue kayak advice/experience

Do you like sanding? Half joking, personally I'd rather recover a SOF boat than do all the sanding work once on a stitch and glue kayak. Any boat, except some plastics, will need touch up after excessive dragging. SOF, wood, or glass will all need to be touched up. Build the Chuckanut the time and money is low enough to be a worthwhile experience even if it doesn't work out. And if SOF can't take the abuse you might need a plastic boat.

From my previous (way previous) experience down there on rivers like the Current and St. Francis in kayaks, I seem to remember that you guys have some seriously sharp rocks in your rivers. Some of it even looked kind of quartz-ish. Honestly, if I planned to kayak fish and be pushing, pulling, paddling or dragging the boat through stuff that shallow, I'd go out and buy a decent rotomolded polyethylene kayak. Go ahead and build a nice boat of some sort for decent conditions, but shallows like that with rocks like that are really going to do some serious damage to either S&G or SOF kayaks.

Todd is spot-on any kind of river running with a kayak canoe SOF, S&G,or strip built will suffer immensely.
    Denise, Bristol PA, Oday30, Anchor Yacht Club, On tidal Delaware River. my current project; http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...0-Ducker-Resto

Thanks for the replies. If I'm understanding correctly, I need multiple kayaks. Im good with that. Thanks again

Back when... The wilderness tripping outdoors person treated the canoe with care. they did not do what many of us do.. drag, pull, push, in shallow rocky rivers. Because they knew to loose the boat would mean a loooooong walk out.. jus sayin
    Denise, Bristol PA, Oday30, Anchor Yacht Club, On tidal Delaware River. my current project; http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...0-Ducker-Resto