Thread: SMALL pad sander

Default SMALL pad sander

Years ago, Ryobi offered a 1/6 sheet pad sander. Its 3" wide pad was occasionally needed. Does anyone offer such a thing today?

Default Re: SMALL pad sander

Festool makes one, with either a rectangular or pie-shaped foot.

Most oscillating multi tools can be fit with a small triangular sanding pad -- do a search at Amazon for "multi tool sanding" to see some of what is available.

The Festool RTS400REQ is priced at $270. I'm sure it's a very nice tool, like my beloved Rotex.
    I was hoping for simething inexpensive as I would not use the tool often.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan McCosh View Post
    Festool makes one, with either a rectangular or pie-shaped foot.

Quote Originally Posted by JimConlin View Post
    The Festool RTS400REQ is priced at $270. I'm sure it's a very nice tool, like my beloved Rotex.
    I was hoping for simething inexpensive as I would not use the tool often.
    Now that Fein's patents have expired on their multi-tool, you can buy the knockoffs from Harbor Freight for less than twenty bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Cleek View Post
    Now that Fein's patents have expired on their multi-tool, you can buy the knockoffs from Harbor Freight for less than twenty bucks.
    And there are many with prices in between HF and Fein, e.g., Porter Cable for about $70, Ryobi and Rigid for about $60, Dewalt for about $90 or $120 for a battery-powered -- almost all the major tool makers make a multi-tool these days. I normally avoid Harbor Freight power tools, but I did get one of their $20 multi-tools for a small job, for which it was fine. I liked what it could do enough that I am considering investing in a better one (I'm thinking of the Dewalt cordless, because I have some other Dewalt cordless tools.)

I bought a Bosch RO sander with about a 3” disc but only once I’d been using it for a while i noticed the pad was concave slightly so only the edge of the discs was used.
    Just saying so you look closely at whatever you decide on

I've never liked sanding with a Fein--the pads wear out quickly, and the surface area is so small they don't do much for sanding. The saw attachments are their main strong point. I'm assuming the small sanding pad is for finish work in tight places, otherwise a 5 inch RO sander would be the way to go.

My Fein tool is the fall-back, but the abrasives are expensive and a rectangular pad would have been more effective on the job I was doing.

if you have access to compressed air there are some really fine dual action, disc, and orbital auto body sanders in the 3" diameter size
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

I have two of those old Ryobis! I had three, but wore one out. Wonderful sanders. I treat them like irreplaceable gold, like my Ryobi electric block plane that you can't get blades for anymore.

Sanding with the Fein or any of the multitools is dependant on dust extraction. The Fein is hopeless without it but I find really good with it. Happily, the Fein I have came with the dust attachment. The other multitool I bought (cordless Bosch) didn't come with a dust attachment and was a hassle to have ordered in. But, like the Fein, is much more effective as a sander, with the dust extraction and pretty hopeless without it.

I have a small Metabo sander with an iron-shaped pad. Not expensive and sands very well.

Rick