X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Katherine
    Too Young to be a Senior
    • Sep 2004

Re: This racist stupidity just never ends

It's not "Us and Them" it's Right and Wrong. Treating people like crap is just plain WRONG!
    Pet photography, the degree you get when you fail aromatherapy - Duck D.

Comment

• Ian McColgin
      • Apr 1999

Not clear to me where Daniel Noyes is going with his illustrative (?) C&Ps from Jim Mahan in #26. He has shown that Jim Mahan recognizes that we are all human beings and that some of us divide along racial, national, political, economic, and myriad other lines. And he concludes by showing the Jim Mahan believes, or at least hopes and prays, that we will or could or might evolve past all that.

Perhaps Daniel Noyes is celebrating Jim Mahan's passionate opposition to racism.

That would be nice.

Comment

• Ian McColgin
        • Apr 1999

"Juan Thompson, NPR contributor, Lefty was the source of much anti Semitism initially linked to Trump supporters by NPR and the ACLU... sad" [#30]

I can make no sense of this remark but the picture below it is of Juan Williams, a Fox News guy who also was a commentator for NPR - diversity of views and all - until he went all islamophobic on a Fox News show. Here's that story.

MEDIA 10/21/2010 01:18 pm ET Updated Dec 06, 2017

By Jack Mirkinson

NPR is facing a storm of criticism for its decision to fire Juan Williams after his comments about Muslims on Fox News, with several prominent conservatives calling for NPR’s government funding to be cut and refusing to appear on the network anymore.

Speaking on Fox News, both Bill O’Reilly and former Speaker of the House Newt Gingrich called for Congress to investigate NPR and cut its government funding in the wake of Juan Williams’ firing from the organization.

Williams, who said Monday that he gets “nervous” when he sees Muslims on planes, also spoke out Thursday morning, telling Fox News’ “Happening Now” that nobody at NPR had spoken to him before making the choice to terminate his contract.

Speaking on the same program, O’Reilly told host Jon Scott that NPR had been trying to get rid of Williams for some time, due to his dual role as a contributor to Fox News.

He called NPR a “left-wing outfit that wants one opinion,” and went on to say that, if NPR were an entirely private institution, he would have no issue with that. But, he said, since NPR gets government funding, he thought that money should be frozen.

“I’m calling immediately...for the immediate suspension of every taxpayer dollar going into the National Public Radio outfit,” he told Scott. “We’re gonna get legislation, we’re gonna freeze it down...they don’t get any more money.”

Comment

• Too Little Time
          • Feb 2014

Originally posted by CWSmith
          Or is it just arrogance on the part of law enforcement?
          I go to my bank frequently. Enough that the people know me. I get asked for my id frequently by people who know me. I don't make a ruckus. I simply produce my id and whatever else is asked for. Asking for id is standard practice for a nummber of reasons.

It is clear that the security guard did not know the fellow. It is less clear what the contractual obligations of the fellow is when asked for the information requested. But there did seem to be a problem and the tenant had time to waste. So the tenant wasted everyone's time. I think that when the tenant's lease is up, he will be asked to leave.

I have seen similar situations with white people.
          Life is complex.

Comment

• Katherine
            Too Young to be a Senior
            • Sep 2004

Isn't Juan Thompson the son of Hunter S. Thompson?

Comment

• Joe (SoCal)
              Banned
              • Feb 2002

Originally posted by Tom Montgomery
              You know, Jamie, these a$$hats know better than to spew racist remarks in public. But once they are in a situation they think is “safe” all kinds of garbage is expressed. I have heard such remarks regularly in my 42 years working in Ford Assembly plants.
              I lost a best friend back during the first Obama run. He was going through a divorce and asked me to help him run an old dining room table up to his mothers in Southie Boston. I said what the hell - road trip with a buddy up to the Irish enclave row house he grew up in. We get there hump the table up 2 flights of a row house, his ginger haired mom in curlers, dad on the barker-lounger with a Coors light in a cosy, watching telemundo weather girl with the sound off and the Sox on the radio. ( This whole thing reminds me of a scene out of Gone Baby Gone )

Anyway, after we deliver the table we hit the town for a few beers. Go to the local Dorchester and Southie haunts of his youth, Irish bars almost exclusively white patrons. Soon talk gets going political and the upcoming election between Obama & Romney. At this moment I decide I can either be typical Joe and let my opinions known, or I have a unique opportunity because I'm with a local, I'm white and Irish I can see how far down the rabbit hole this goes, and just listen. OMFG !!!!!! the level of racism was beyond the pale, and as the beers flowed the worse it got. I felt as though I was in 1948 Mississippi. My former "friend" was deep in the mix. The whole ride back to NY I could never look at him the same way again.

Comment

• Katherine
                Too Young to be a Senior
                • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Too Little Time
                I go to my bank frequently. Enough that the people know me. I get asked for my id frequently by people who know me. I don't make a ruckus. I simply produce my id and whatever else is asked for. Asking for id is standard practice for a nummber of reasons.

It is clear that the security guard did not know the fellow. It is less clear what the contractual obligations of the fellow is when asked for the information requested. But there did seem to be a problem and the tenant had time to waste. So the tenant wasted everyone's time. I think that when the tenant's lease is up, he will be asked to leave.

I have seen similar situations with white people.
                The cop was off duty, once he was confirmed as a resident, he was under no obligation to answer her questions.

Comment

• Katherine
                  Too Young to be a Senior
                  • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Joe (SoCal)
                  I lost a best friend back during the first Obama run. He was going through a divorce and asked me to help him run an old dining room table up to his mothers in Southie Boston. I said what the hell - road trip with a buddy up to the Irish enclave row house he grew up in. We get there hump the table up 2 flights of a row house, his ginger haired mom in curlers, dad on the barker-lounger with a Coors light in a cosy, watching telemundo weather girl with the sound off and the Sox on the radio. ( This whole thing reminds me of a scene out of Gone Baby Gone )

Anyway, after we deliver the table we hit the town for a few beers. Go to the local Dorchester and Southie haunts of his youth, Irish bars almost exclusively white patrons. Soon talk gets going political and the upcoming election between Obama & Romney. At this moment I decide I can either be typical Joe and let my opinions known, or I have a unique opportunity because I'm with a local, I'm white and Irish I can see how far down the rabbit hole this goes, and just listen. OMFG !!!!!! the level of racism was beyond the pale, and as the beers flowed the worse it got. I felt as though I was in 1948 Mississippi. My former "friend" was deep in the mix. The whole ride back to NY I could never look at him the same way again.
                  My family has the unspoken agreement to not talk politics at family gatherings. It gets ugly really fast if we do.

Comment

• Daniel Noyes
                    Banned
                    • Jan 2007

Originally posted by amish rob
                    What’s most funny is the last bit you describe as naiive and Big Brother. What Jim is describing there is a world lived according to the teachings of Jehoshua bin Joseph, or “Jesus Christ”. Joshua the Anointed.
                    This country pretends to be “Christian” but the denizens of it mock Christian ideals.

Student of history? Really?

Peace,
                    Robert

Ahhhhh a Religious vision of Heaven on Earth... based on eradicating a certain type of person "Deploreables" from the face of the earth... how could this POSSIBLY go wrong???

I figured I could not make Jim's description of his Utopia more sinister sounding... Amish shoots... and SCORES!

Comment

• robm
                      • Mar 2009

Yes, the goal is to eradicate Deplorables by teaching them to be nice to other people.

Comment

• Joe (SoCal)
                        Banned
                        • Feb 2002

Originally posted by robm
                        Yes, the goal is to eradicate Deplorables by teaching them to be nice to other people.
                        It's gonna be a tough row, there is now this whole wave of MAMA - Make America Mean Again. We got baby's in cages, deplorable's screaming at anyone with an accent to GO BACK HOME !! ( even if they are from Puerto Rico ), You have a SC ban on Muslims, you have Neo Nazies marching and killing with their tiki torches.

Lastly this is heartbreaking proof you cant teaching them to be nice to other people. You got Dylann Roof walking into a black church and being embraced by a black congregation in a prayer circle. He then kills them ONLY because they are black and he has access to guns.

I can never get over the fact that they took him in held his hand and prayed with him and in the back of his mind he was set on pulling out a gun and killing as many as he could. IMAGINE THE DEPLORABLE MIND OF THAT PERSON.

Comment

• oznabrag
                          Historical Illiterate
                          • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Dan McCosh
                          It is in the world of the internet. Around here, the Black population is 1.5 million. You tend to be a bit more objective.
                          Uh . . . this happened IRL, not on the internet.

An objective observer would understand that the black man complied, complied, complied, was backed up by the apartment manager, yet still the power-mad, racist POS kept after him.

I'm glad I don't live in your world.

Sounds horrible.
                          Rattling the teacups.

Comment

• John of Phoenix
                            • Jun 2001

"I think that when the tenant's lease is up, he will be asked to leave."

See how easily racism comes to reds? It's second nature with them.

Comment

• Ian McColgin
                              • Apr 1999

In theory if the lease is not renewed it would be presumed retaliation for resisting overt racism and the property owner would have a very high standard of proof to show a legitimate good cause to not renew. Unfortunately, Indiana has quite a lot of unlawful racial (and other) discrimination in rental housing and enforcement is spotty at best.

Comment

• CWSmith
                                New Hampshire
                                • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Ian McColgin
                                NPR is facing a storm of criticism for its decision to fire Juan Williams after his comments about Muslims on Fox News, with several prominent conservatives calling for NPR’s government funding to be cut and refusing to appear on the network anymore.
                                Let's be honest - conservatives have been trying to cut funding to public broadcasting for several decades. This is just one more excuse to do what they have always wanted to do.
                                "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Comment

Working...