X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CWSmith
    New Hampshire
    • Nov 2008

This racist stupidity just never ends

Or is it just arrogance on the part of law enforcement?

Black man asked to leave his own pool by officer in viral video

A black man who was confronted and asked to leave the pool at the apartment building where he lives in a viral video says he was the victim of racial profiling.

Indiana resident Shayne Holland used his cell phone to record a confrontation between himself and an security guard who was an off-duty Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department officer last Friday.

The incident happened when he was sitting at the pool at the River Crossing Apartments, where he has lived since February 2017, according to the Indianapolis Star.

"I had my headphones when she approached me so I didn't hear her the first time. When I asked her to repeat herself, she asked if I lived in the neighborhood. I said yes," Holland told the Star. "When she asked where I lived, I said I don't know you and you haven't identified yourself, so I'm not just going to give you my address."

The man said he presented the officer, whose name was not immediately available, with a key he was issued from the apartment complex which allows him access to the pool.

The officer then contacted the complex's property manager to confirm Holland was a resident, which the manager did confirm.

But the situation continued to escalate in the video posted on Twitter. The officer, who is wearing a badge, continues to press Holland in the video. He repeatedly says he was uncomfortable giving the officer his address.

"Why do I need to give this lady, who I don't know, my address?" Holland asked in the video, while noting that he paid $1,600 in rent for the following month.

Holland was then told to leave the pool by the officer.

"Why do I have to leave my pool?" he asked.

The manager said in response that the man was being told to leave because he refused to answer the officer, who was working as security while off-duty as a police officer according to the Star.

Alex Stokely, the vice president of Barrett & Stokely, which manages the apartment complex, told the local publication that the manager has since been placed on leave. The company also added that they are currently investigating the situation.

The security officer was reportedly at the pool because of previous incidents involving non-residents using the pool, according to the Star.
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx
  • Jim Mahan
    me 𑀩 thinking
    • Mar 2006

Re: This racist stupidity just never ends

Stupidity over race. But this incident, and obviously way too many other such incidents, as driving while having taillights that might get broken when the driver is black—is the stupidity of the cop mentality. Stupid and tragic.

Racism is the big awful problem, but the too common cop mentality that drives this whole class of crime against humanity is just as much a problem for our society.

Cops are a necessary adjunct to the human problem of being human all over each other.

All the racism. every drop, and all the police brutality, and all the things that make the Deplorables deplorable, are integrated, are artifacts of our growth out of animal barbarism, a human invention that is counterproductive in our contemporary world, and they all stem exactly from the same mental phenomenon.

Every individual is simultaneously a member a small group, the family, and larger groups, such as villages, nations, corporations.

Each of us is dependent on the others, on their good will, their ability to demonstrate fealty, loyalty to family and the larger groups.

Some of us realize, through growth and maturity, that all of us are the same on many, many levels. We are all here and in the same boat together.

Some of us understand, instinctively and automatically, tempered with our human cognition, that survival depends on cooperation as much as competition.

Some of us get that we are all of us, while some of us conclude that only some of us are us, and that the world is still a dangerous place filled with Others.

So some of us know that there is just us, all of us. And some of believe that their us only extends to certain people and certain types of people, and that anyone else is an expendable, other, from whom we must be protected, and from whom we, the little we, can exploit stuff for us at the cost of no stuff for them.

IOW, there are us and them and it's okay to rape murder and steal and rob from any Others. Because if you let your guard down they'll do you first.

Us and Them.

Or just Us. All of us.

Simple as kumbaya.

So not getting it and being stubborn about it, and adopting a kill or be killed strategy, I got mine—fuc* them, is Stupid.

Racism is stupid. Having cops as the best answer to crime is as stupid. It is the same as if a single human were elected to represent all of humanity and then declared that since we have evolved all the way to kindergarten we should be satisfied and stop there.

The good news is that We will get over this. There will be a time when what We become actually deserve to be called civilized, and these lofty ideals of Democracy are truly inclusive and everyone is taken care of, has all they need materially and is free to live life without fear of sssholes raping and killing and robbing and stealing and incesting and the rest of what makes Humanity so loveable.
    Last edited by Jim Mahan; 07-12-2018, 07:57 AM.

Comment

• Dan McCosh
      • Mar 2001

Might well be racial profiling. It's also what security people have to deal with, and some do it badly. Not having been there, it's tough to say who escalated what should have been a quick check.

Comment

• Katherine
        Too Young to be a Senior
        • Sep 2004

Why are people so freak-in ignorant? The guy even showed her that he had a key. Was her badge a "Security" badge or her "Police" badge. If it was her police badge, she should be fired.
        Pet photography, the degree you get when you fail aromatherapy - Duck D.

Comment

• oznabrag
          Historical Illiterate
          • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Dan McCosh
          Might well be racial profiling. It's also what security people have to deal with, and some do it badly. Not having been there, it's tough to say who escalated what should have been a quick check.
          No, it is NOT.

The security guard escalated.

The man said he presented the officer, whose name was not immediately available, with a key he was issued from the apartment complex which allows him access to the pool.

The officer then contacted the complex's property manager to confirm Holland was a resident, which the manager did confirm.
          Rattling the teacups.

Comment

• Durnik
            Out 'n About
            • Feb 2011

shame bobbys isn't here to complain about liberals in gated communities..

hey! just tryin' to help!

Comment

• Art Haberland
              Fluent in Typo
              • May 2015

the racist idiots are emboldened by the day.
              "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

Comment

• CWSmith
                New Hampshire
                • Nov 2008

Let's play devil's advocate for a moment.

Keys are easily passed between friends. If the security woman did not recognize the person as a resident, and suspected it was a friend of a resident, she could have politely asked his name and checked him against a list provided by management. Or, management could make those keys photo ids if they were really concerned. It did not need to go the way that it did.

Now, if the off-duty copy were wearing their uniform, the question is "Do we have a right to deny giving our id to a cop when asked?" I think the answer is yes if we are not breaking the law. But this off-duty cop was moonlighting and the question had nothing to do with the law. I don't see where she has a leg to stand on and management is equally to blame.
                "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Comment

• Joe (SoCal)
                  Banned
                  • Feb 2002

Comment

• Dan McCosh
                    • Mar 2001

I've been through too many similar situations to make a judgement based on this kind of story. I've experienced many officious people in authority, and many who deal with these things with aplomb. Likewise, lots of jerks who tend to bait authority to their detriment. Including me.

Comment

• Osborne Russell
                      • Mar 2006

Originally posted by CWSmith
                      Or is it just arrogance on the part of law enforcement?
                      Oh yeah, but it's much more than that. Not a bad apple, poor training, inexperience or any other of the GD lame excuses people will make that enable this very thing, and are building it incident by incident into an authoritarian culture as the foundation of an authoritarian state. The correct answer to "What is your address?" is "GFY".

All these ignorant red morons are walking around with their jive high school diplomas wondering why they can't have a house and a car and a family on one salary, so they become cops, unless they can't pass the tests, and so become rent-a-cops. Take a S person like this and put her through the military first and you get a real pig.

Now all you need is a political party for them. People who have no social status (and thus no self-identity) apart from being a servant of authority. Utterly dependent and angry, naturally. They've given up every potential, every hope, just to be another maggot in the megalopolis.
                      Do not speak of "our institutions" unless you make them yours by acting on their behalf.

Timothy Snyder, On Tyranny (2017)​

Comment

• Flying Orca
                        Ruth, feck, and gorm
                        • Jan 2007

I'm waiting for you to tell us how you really​ feel.

What are you doing about it?

Comment

• oznabrag
                          Historical Illiterate
                          • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Dan McCosh
                          I've been through too many similar situations to make a judgement based on this kind of story. I've experienced many officious people in authority, and many who deal with these things with aplomb. Likewise, lots of jerks who tend to bait authority to their detriment. Including me.

Has anyone ever tried to kick you out of a place because of your race?

There is no evidence whatsoever here that Holland was 'baiting' anyone.

The officer is a pig:

1) The officer challenged Holland's presence.

2) Holland presented his key.

3) The officer checked with the manager.

4) The manager confirmed Holland's legitimacy.

5) The officer continued to harass Holland.

Ergo,

6) The officer is a pig.

It really is that simple.
                          Rattling the teacups.

Comment

• Tom Montgomery
                            Lurking since 1997
                            • Sep 1999

“Papa” John Schnatter stepped in it when he spoke from the heart:

The founder of Papa John's resigned from his position as chairman of the pizza chain's board of directors, just hours after he apologized for using a racial slur during a company conference call earlier this year.

The Louisville, Kentucky-based company announced late-Wednesday night it had accepted John Schnatter’s resignation, saying it planned to replace him in the coming weeks.

Schnatter, 56, also resigned from his position on the University of Louisville’s board of trustees, effective immediately, according to the school. He had served on the board for two years.

Papa John's announced that it had accepted John Schnatter's resignation on Wednesday.

His resignations came after Forbes reported that he used the N-word during a May conference call while discussing the national anthem protests in the NFL.

Colonel Sanders called blacks n------,” Schnatter said, referring to Kentucky Fried Chicken founder Harland Sanders, according to the Forbes report.

He also reportedly complained that Sanders never faced public backlash for using the slur.

Schnatter confirmed the allegations in a statement Wednesday and apologized for his use of “inappropriate and hurtful language.”

"News reports attributing the use of inappropriate and hurtful language to me during a media training session regarding race are true," he said. "Regardless of the context, I apologize. Simply stated, racism has no place in our society."

Schnatter stepped down from his role as CEO late last year after saying NFL players should stand for the national anthem and that their protests had hurt the company’s sales.

Shares of Papa John's, one of the country's largest pizza delivery chains, fell about 5 percent in premarket trading Thursday in the wake of Schnatter's resignation from the board.
                            Schnatter is another right-wingnut, miserable, ignorant creature. Colonel Sanders founded KFC in 1952 and sold the company in 1964. He lived in a different society from today. The Civil Rights Act was passed in 1964 and the Voting Rights Act in 1965. By 1968 all forms of discrimination had been ruled unconstitutional by the USSC. In 1968 Colonel Harland Sanders was 78 years-old.
                            Last edited by Tom Montgomery; 07-12-2018, 10:24 AM.
                            "They have a lot of stupid people that vote in their primaries. They really do. I'm not really supposed to say that but it's an obvious fact. But when stupid people vote, you know who they nominate? Other stupid people." -- James Carville on the plethora of low-quality GQP candidates in the mid-term election.

Comment

• S.V. Airlie
                              Ancient Mariner
                              • Dec 2006

And his pizzas suck! Rather eat at Pizza Hut and that's saying something.

Comment

Working...