Thread: 2018 Pocket Yacht Palooza and Crooza

Default 2018 Pocket Yacht Palooza and Crooza

Anyone from here going?

http://www.pocketyachters.com/Port_T...ZA_CROOZA.html

I won't be sailing Bucephalus all the way up to the Palooza this year, but since the Crooza is down here in South Sound, I'm thinking to sail north and meet the group at the launch ramp in Grapeview, and carry on with them from there.

Will we see any of you there?

Alex

Default Re: 2018 Pocket Yacht Palooza and Crooza

Looks like an amazing cruising ground. Bit far away for me though.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

I intend to be there with our Good Little Skiff, Sea Turtle. Probably won’t be able to do the Crooze.
    There's the plan, then there's what actually happens, and Sh!t happens more than Should happens.

Ben Sebens, RN

I'm going to be at the event with Terrapin, but am going to head north instead of south for a little solo cruise. Hope to meet some of you folks in person!

-Bruce

Tales from the land and sea: http://terrapintales.wordpress.com/

I will be there with Christine, my newly built Hv13. We'll be hanging out for just the day of show and tell.

Should be a fun time!

1st Launch - 5.jpg

Jeff

I will be there with Christine, my newly built Hv13.
    You've been busy! Tender for Emily Ruth?

You should trailer ER down to the Crooza, in Grapeview. She'd sure dress the place up.

Alex

Small chance that I'll be in the area with Haverchuck. I was thinking of launching from Boston Harbor in Olympia and heading in the general direction of the Palooza. (Always keeping a safe distance, of course.)
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Pitsligo View Post
    You've been busy! Tender for Emily Ruth?

You should trailer ER down to the Crooza, in Grapeview. She'd sure dress the place up.

Alex
    Alex, that would be odd. A 13 foot tender for a 16 foot boat. I guess if there were no wind, I could at least row efficiently.

Emily Ruth has never been fit out for cruising and/or for sleeping aboard. It's on my long list of things to do. Until then, I'll have to retire here at home in my regular bed.

Have a good trip. Take your cannon just in case Yeadon gets too close.

Jeff

I was thinking of launching from Boston Harbor in Olympia and heading in the general direction of the Palooza.
    I live about four miles south of Boston Harbor. Drop me a line if you need someplace to stash a trailer; I've got room in the driveway.

Emily Ruth has never been fit out for cruising and/or for sleeping aboard. It's on my long list of things to do. Until then, I'll have to retire here at home in my regular bed.
    Oh yes, we need to get her fitted out. She'd be a delightful little cruiser. Until then, maybe you could come camp-cruising?

Take your cannon just in case Yeadon gets too close.
    Hmm... Good thought!

Alex

Returned home late last night from the Palooza and Crooza, it was a blast! (although the last few miles yesterday was a bit light... a few hours of rowing.) Nice to meet you, Alex! (Very many good jokes about cheese waxing ensued for the rest of the voyage!)

Cheers,
    Dale

Glad you got home safe! Man, that last day was a roaster and a drifter. I didn't get back to Oly until 20:00.

It was a grand gathering though, wasn't it? Marty said we had 41 boats. Quite something, moving around with a fleet that size.

Cheese waxing jokes! I wish I'd heard a few of those --no, on second thought, I suppose I'm glad I didn't.

Awfully good meeting you, too.

Alex

Here are a few photos. I'm not a good photographer, and my camera seems to be losing picture quality / crisp focus as it ages, but you might find the snapshots entertaining.

Marty Loken's 1950s launch, used as a "camera ship". I expect better photos than these will soon appear in his magazine and on the Pocket Yachters' website:

The lovely Poulsbo Boat "Lyra". Jim's parasol was the wisest piece of equipment anyone brought --it was *hot* out there:

Is this you, Dale? A SCAMP, certainly, from the business end:

The electric-powered cruiser "Ginger". Described to me as the hull and stern of a steam launch, and the bow of a Lake Union Dream Boat:

We had a couple Melonseeds in the fleet, which probably had the easiest time of all the unpowered vessels during the calm spots. They certainly kept up with the rest of the fleet, anyway:

More coming...

The "Eel" Pick Pocket, out of Portland, OR. I especially like her bright-finished round-front cabin trunk:

There were several boats from the Columbia River area, who came north for the South Sound Crooza because they could drive two hours, launch at Olympia, and jog north for the initial rendezvous instead of having to drive another two hours north to launch at Port Townsend for the usual route. I do hope we get to do another South Sound Crooza.

About a third of the fleet at anchor off Hope Island. Another third of them is around the corner at the main beach. We had 41 boats, though, this year, so we had to spread out. Even so, anchoring in close quarters and with a strong tide had tense moments. Beach-tying was a good way to go, if your boat could take the ground:

A few more of the fleet, in the view astern from Bucephalus:

And because I can't help myself, a shot of Bucephalus, as we arrived home in Oly --which was the only time on Tuesday when there was *any* wind to speak of in that part of the Sound:

I do hope the portion of the fleet that returned to Grapeview --and it was a lot of boats, and a long haul, and *very* little wind-- were able to make it without any sunstroke or doldrum-madness.

Got any more photos, Dale? Or anyone else who was there, for that matter?

Alex

What a lot of lovely little boats. Too bad about the wind but it still seems like it was a great time on the water!

Great photos, Alex! Yes, that's me in Scamp #162, LUNA.

I attended the Scamp-specific "Red Lantern Rally" in Mystery Bay on Thursday/Friday, then sailed over to Port Townsend to catch the Palooza on Saturday. I really neglected my camera, but here's a shot from the beach, where we rolled up to sleep above the tideline. There were about 70 boats in attendance, all lovely, but I wasn't in "photo mode"! (LUNA with bright transom and prototype tent)

M7216296 by Dale Simonson, on Flickr

Then we loaded up and trailered down to the Grapeview launch ramp for the Crooza, and had 3 more nights aboard, circumnavigating Harstine Island in the South Sound.

Josh in Scamp #1 ("SCAMP"):
    M7226314 by Dale Simonson, on Flickr

Marty in FOTO, a Weston Farmer (...not sure of the design name):
    M7226322 by Dale Simonson, on Flickr

Part of the scene at the larger dock in Jarrell Cove (and there were more on the smaller one, too!):
    M7226333 by Dale Simonson, on Flickr

Scamp 1 again, a Melonseed from Comox BC, and a really cool double-lug-sail proa
    M7226335 by Dale Simonson, on Flickr

Marty's FOTO, again
    M7226336 by Dale Simonson, on Flickr

Alex in BUCEPHALUS:
    M7236343 by Dale Simonson, on Flickr

FOTO again, and that lovely Poulsbo Boat in the background:
    M7246345 by Dale Simonson, on Flickr

Sorry, very many pretty boats in attendance, but no more photos from me (you can tell the ones I was really interested in)! If you use Facebook, search the Pocket Yachters page, Marty is an amazing photographer.

There was a nice breeze first thing in the morning of the last day (and reasonable winds most of the previous days). We managed to weigh anchor at 06:15, so got around the bottom of Hartstine on the ebb and up Case Inlet to the top of Herron Island before the wind died. That left a few hours of rowing... (about 4 miles?) in the heat of the day. Back at the ramp about 13:00, home to Vancouver around 20:00. A magnificent little cruise!

Cheers,
    Dale
    Last edited by dsimonson; 07-26-2018 at 02:52 AM.

Thanks, Dale and Alex. Looks like a great event.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Crap that was a missed opportunity for me to buzz out there and meet a few of you. I was tearing up the south sound with Bingo anyway.

Back at the ramp about 13:00, home to Vancouver around 20:00.
    You got back to the ramp by 13:00? Wow! At 13:00 I was still becalmed on a mooring not even a mile from Hope Island. I should have left when you did, but I got complacent. That'll teach me. (Maybe.) Glad you didn't have to do as much rowing as I feared you might have.

Crap that was a missed opportunity for me to buzz out there and meet a few of you. I was tearing up the south sound with Bingo anyway.
    Bummer, Wiz! I know we've crossed wakes before, under sail, but I would have liked to meet you at close range.

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by dsimonson View Post

Marty in FOTO, a Weston Farmer (...not sure of the design name):

Marty's FOTO, again
    M7226336 by Dale Simonson, on Flickr
    I have really wanted to be there, just to see the boat - I am maybe be an hour drive from Grapevine - even had a day off, but had stuff planned already, and missed the whole event.
    Love this current Marty's boat - would like to find out more about it.
    Looks like good times all around , Very nice !
    1955 Fontana 18' - 1958 Atomic 4
    1960 Skippy 12C FeatherCraft - 1947 Mercury KD4 Rocket
    1985 Glen L15 - 1980 Johnson 7.5 hp
    2016 kayak Mill Creek 13

Love this current Marty's boat - would like to find out more about it.
    She's a honey, isn't she?

What I remember Marty telling me is that she's a 1950s version of a 1928 design; a wee bit longer and a few inches wider, and intended specifically for some new powerhouse 4-cyl outboard motor that was revolutionizing the market (he told me, but I can't recall the name; the boat's model name was taken from the motor, too). The 1950s boat originally had, from the builder, a blocky coachroof on the foredeck and an angular windscreen that did not improve her looks. Marty solved that problem with a sawzall and "reverted" her back to the 1928 aesthetic.

She's even better in person than in the photos, and those are good photos.

ETA: Here are some more details, but Marty didn't call her a Sundance when he was telling me about her: https://nwmaritime.org/2018/06/18/foto/

Alex
    Last edited by Pitsligo; 07-26-2018 at 12:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Bateau View Post
    I'm going to be at the event with Terrapin, but am going to head north instead of south for a little solo cruise. Hope to meet some of you folks in person!

Good to catch up with you, Bruce! I owe you some photos from Cathlamet!

Quote Originally Posted by jpatrick View Post
    I will be there with Christine, my newly built Hv13. We'll be hanging out for just the day of show and tell.

Didn’t get to meet you, Jeff, but I admired your Hvalsoe, she’s a beauty!

Quote Originally Posted by Yeadon View Post
    Small chance that I'll be in the area with Haverchuck. I was thinking of launching from Boston Harbor in Olympia and heading in the general direction of the Palooza. (Always keeping a safe distance, of course.)

Great to see you in PT, Tim. Next time, I want a ride in Haverchuck. (Really would like to row her, just to feel how that beast of a boat behaves for a little guy like me! She looks like a sail’n’oar freighter, on the beach…!)

Quote Originally Posted by Pitsligo View Post
    You got back to the ramp by 13:00? Wow! At 13:00 I was still becalmed on a mooring not even a mile from Hope Island. I should have left when you did, but I got complacent. That'll teach me. (Maybe.) Glad you didn't have to do as much rowing as I feared you might have.

Yup, leaving early really paid, and we hit the height of that 3.5 knot ebb through Dana Passage. A good thing, it was a little warm when the wind died. Although, the course I was on for the last tough bit had the sail shading me on the rowing thwart. “Extra windage be damned, I’m quite comfy here, thanks.”

A big thanks to Marty and the Pocket Yachters for organizing the event. There were a ton of boats- more than would actually fit in the courtyard at the Maritime Center.

Lots of interesting boats, of all sorts. Some interesting people there too.

Here's the scene from above. The boats on the left are from the Seventy48 event. And boy were they variable.

My favorite boat was this one:

It was a double rower from the event. And it had a secret weapon:

I didn't dare to flip the switch for fear of annihilating some nice boats in the courtyard.

A big thanks to Marty (left) and the Pocket Yachters for organizing the event. There were a ton of boats- more than would actually fit in the courtyard at the Maritime Center.

Lots of interesting boats, of all sorts. Some interesting people there too.

Here's the scene from above. The boats on the left are from the Seventy48 event. And boy were they variable.

My favorite boat was this one:

It was a double rower from the event. And it had a secret weapon:

I didn't dare to flip the switch for fear of annihilating some nice boats in the courtyard.

There was also a lot of action on the beach behind the courtyard:

Several SCAMPs were in the water, two Adironack guideboats, a cruising rowboat, and that's Tim with Haverchuck arriving from parts unknown.

Oh good! More photos!

There are a few on the Pocket Yachters' FB page too.

Alex