Thread: Out of the Park

Default Out of the Park

Borowitz does it again (source).

Man Wins “Why Trump Shouldn’t Go to Prison” Essay Contest
    By Andy Borowitz - July 10, 201

WASHINGTON (The Borowitz Report)

A Washington, D.C., man has won a nationwide essay contest on the topic “Why Donald J. Trump Shouldn’t Go to Prison.”

The man, Brett Kavanaugh, received his award for the winning essay at a ceremony at the White House on Monday night.

Kavanaugh’s essay, which was distributed to the press shortly after he was announced as the winner, reads as follows:

“Donald J. Trump should never go to prison because he is the President of the United States and the President of the United States is a very important person in the country. It would look bad if visitors from foreign countries came to the United States and asked, ‘Where is your President?’ and we had to say, ‘He is in prison,’ which in my opinion is another reason Donald J. Trump should not go to prison. For these reasons, if I am ever in a position to keep Donald J. Trump from going to prison, I will do that (keep him from going to prison).”

Shaking Kavanaugh’s hand, Trump heaped praise on him for his “very, very beautiful” essay, calling it “maybe the best essay that has ever been written.”

“I did not personally read it, but Ivanka read it aloud to me, and I thought it was fantastic,” Trump said.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Default Re: Out of the Park

They did it to Pinochet, Lula, Fujimori etc. Why not Drumpf?
    Xanthorrea

Pinochet is not a helpful example. It took some 20 years to get rid of him, and the pile of corpses he was responsible for in the beginning was pretty impressive. Let us all sincerely hope we don't go down that path.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,

Richard Feynman

The last line may be the best!

I... I just.... I mean... DAMN HE'S GOOD.
    No adversary is worse than bad advice.

Tremendous.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Brings a tear to my eye
    If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question

The US was responsible for Pinochet.
    With all respect, for all this is conventional wisdom on the left, this is about 75% hogwash - not entirely, but mostly. The US supported the coup, but the Chilean army would have ousted Allende and taken over whatever we did. And the US was only very slightly more responsible for the election of Salvador Allende than it was for the Boxer Rebellion or the Boer war.

This is something I know a bit about, having several good Chilean friends, one who left in a hurry in 1973, and having spent a fair amount of time in Chile. I get very tired of the idea that the US is responsible for most of what happens in Latin America; this ignores the folks who actually live there and make most of the decisions. Certainly the US has influence, sometimes a lot of influence, but most of what happens there is done by Latin Americans for their own reasons, good or bad.

OK, rant over. Sorry, I'm a bit grouchy this morning.
    Last edited by Keith Wilson; 07-12-2018 at 08:52 AM.

Richard Feynman

Verily bigly.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wilson View Post
    Pinochet is not a helpful example. It took some 20 years to get rid of him, and the pile of corpses he was responsible for in the beginning was pretty impressive. Let us all sincerely hope we don't go down that path.
    Is that like 'thoughts and prayers?'
    Rattling the teacups.

With all respect, for all this is conventional wisdom on the left, this is about 75% hogwash - not entirely, but mostly. The US supported the coup, but the Chilean army would have ousted Allende and taken over whatever we did. And the US was only very slightly more responsible for the election of Salvador Allende than it was for the Boxer Rebellion or the Boer war.

This is something I know a bit about, having several good Chilean friends, one who left in a hurry in 1973, and having spent a fair amount of time in Chile. I get very tired of the idea that the US is responsible for most of what happens in Latin America; this ignores the folks who actually live there and make most of the decisions. Certainly the US has influence, sometimes a lot of influence, but most of what happens there is done by Latin Americans for their own reasons, good or bad.

OK, rant over. Sorry, I'm a bit grouchy this morning.
    Keith, sacrilege. You simply cannot exonerate the US for Latin America's problems. Not allowed. And you, being on the left. What has gotten into you?

Seriously, giving the US 25% blame on Pinochet is even overstated.

Certainly the US has influence, sometimes a lot of influence, but most of what happens there is done by Latin Americans for their own reasons, good or bad.
    Sure. But... let's remember Philip Agee.

What are you doing about it?

Quote Originally Posted by peb View Post
    Keith, sacrilege. You simply cannot exonerate the US for Latin America's problems. Not allowed. And you, being on the left. What has gotten into you? Seriously, giving the US 25% blame on Pinochet is even overstated.
    Yeah, I know in some circles it's heretical. But I know too much about Latin America. The folks who live there are not puppets; they have their own ideas and goals, and make their own decisions about their own countries for their own reasons, good or bad. The US certainly has a lot of influence, and has sometimes intervened directly; the entire existence of the country of Panama has a lot to do with Teddy Roosevelt's desire to build a canal and the fact that the Colombians weren't being cooperative. And the 1955 coup in Guatemala is one of the sorriest examples imaginable. But the tendency to blame everything on US meddling is simply wrong.

Anyway, we're getting seriously off-topic.

Richard Feynman

So, Keith, about that “influence” we’ve had, and the occasional “intervention.” Were those as serious as the spate of anti-Clinton Facebook posts on the World Wide Web that has undone the Democrats?
    Well, Mr. Botard, do you still deny all rhinocerotic evidence?