Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 56

Thread: What is the upper size limit for singlehanding, for someone in his sixties?

Default Re: What is the upper size limit for singlehanding, for someone in his sixties?

I’ll need a small tin of varnish to get round the patio doors!

IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Default Re: What is the upper size limit for singlehanding, for someone in his sixties?

You could always paint them and be done with it.

Oh, I don’t think I could do that, Phil. I was just wondering where to site the aspidistra...
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

But then where would you huddle out of the 50 Knt headwind? When you get to the Dutchman flaking stage, remind me, somewhere I have a couple of the things which went on the sail, which the vertical lines ran through. They were not simple eyelets, but a plastic plate either side of the sail cloth, maybe 3" diameter, with a small slot rather than a round hole in the centre. I suspect that helps the sail fold itself correctly and ensures that it falls freely down the line. I can post a pic.

I’ve gone and done it. Eight tons of lead, a ton of aluminium, thirteen winches and eleven tons of frozen snot.
    Congratulations, happy smiles to you.
    This is the first lesson ye should learn: There is so much good in the worst of us, and so much bad in the best of us, it doesn't behoove any of us to speak evil of the rest of us.
    E. Cayce

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    But then where would you huddle out of the 50 Knt headwind? When you get to the Dutchman flaking stage, remind me, somewhere I have a couple of the things which went on the sail, which the vertical lines ran through. They were not simple eyelets, but a plastic plate either side of the sail cloth, maybe 3" diameter, with a small slot rather than a round hole in the centre. I suspect that helps the sail fold itself correctly and ensures that it falls freely down the line. I can post a pic.
    Yes, please, Phil. I think this will be the way to go.

This boat comes with a reputation; two years ago she crossed the Bay of Biscay, in February, to windward in a Force 9. The cockpit was constantly awash but the skipper never got out of his pit, just passing instructions up through the hatch. The damage was a number of locker doors and the WC pedestal.

I hope she will enjoy her retirement.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

This is them. No brand name on them. Self adhesive backing. She had full length battens and cars with little rollers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Craig-Bennett View Post
    Yes; I’ve gone and done it. Eight tons of lead, a ton of aluminium, thirteen winches and eleven tons of frozen snot.

Feel free to blackball me.
    Congratulations ! I've had a lot of fun in those boats over the years (thank you, UK taxpayers !) and I'm sure that you will too.

Although I mostly sailed with a full crew of 12, I did once do a delivery trip with just four of us; hard work ...
    Nick

And there it is in a nutshell

Right...

It is possible to singlehand these beasts. Just...

Luckily, the Nic 55 is, like most of the family of boats designed by Ray Wall, very well mannered. You can drop a loop of shock cord onto the wheel and, most of the time, that will give you thirty seconds to get up the deck and back. She heaves to very nicely.

I have pretty much decided on:

A Harken Size 3 furler for the jib, with Reefrite as a new possibility (NZ comments very welcome)
    A Lighthouse windlass, from California, with Websters, in Darkest Cornwall as the remaining option.
    A Monitor self steering gear, with an Autohelm 2 tiller pilot linked to it for self steering under power.
    A rigid boom gallows with three positions, ahead of the cockpit
    A pair of fanny bars
    Relocation of the jackstays inboard.

I am just thinking about the winch farm...

We have two halyard winches at the mast:

a) a Harken 44 for the main halyard, to starboard, which is easy as it runs in a PTFE track, and
    b) a Harken 48, to port, for the headsails.

At the foot of the mast are four turning blocks leading to four winches mounted on the forward end of the coachroof:

c) a Harken 53 self tailer for the reef pennants, which are locked at the forward end of the boom.
    d) a Harken 46 for the kicking strap purchase (4:1 through Lewmar size 4 blocks)
    e) a Harken 42 for the topping lift
    f) a Harken 42 for the outhaul, which has its own 4:1 purchase inside the boom

on each side of the crewpit are:

g) two Harken 42s for the backstay falls, on the cockpit coamings

h) a pair of three speed Harken 64s, inside the coamings.

on each side of the helmsman's position are:

i) a pair of three speed Harken 53s

and finally
    j) a Harken 44 self tailer for the mainsheet, which curiously runs through Lewmar Size 3 blocks to a traveller on a horse ahead of the Whitlock Mamba steering gear column.

This gives the general idea:

You can see the backstay winch (green rope) at the left hand side of the picture, and the primaries, and the outhaul, reefing and kicker winches on the forward end of the deck house.

Now, this tells us that (a) this boat was intended to have a large crew and (b) that she was built in the days before rope clutches.

Incidentally, I have no idea how the staysail was hoisted, as it doesn't seem to have a winch. Perhaps it didn't need one. But there are six headsail halyards (two spinnaker, two genoa, two staysail) all headed for the same winch, and if I fit a furler I would like to lock off that halyard and have the winch available for other stuff.

Thinking out loud, for a moment, and considering that four of the six ropes that go to winches at or just abaft the mast pass through turning blocks already, I think I might like to take those four and the main halyard(which would need a new turning block) back through rope clutches to winches on the coamings, where the backstay winches are now.

I could leave the existing winches where they are, as back ups, and all that Father Christmas would have to spring for would be a pair of meaty self tailers and seven (!) rope clutches.
    Last edited by Andrew Craig-Bennett; 10-07-2018 at 03:30 PM.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Without thinking too deeply about it, that seems to make perfect sense. And an autopilot you can just click on a button to maintain course. That will take away 90% of the anxiety.

Thanks Phil. I am currently trying not to fit a built in autopilot because the cost is fairly ghastly. But I may have to give it best.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

eBay. People teplace perfectly good stuff and sell it for pennies in the pound. An old model might not talk to your iPhone but who cares?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can get reefrite?
    It's been great for us, I like the download and slides because you can set up exactly as if you're hanking on, then hoist when you want to sail, then furl up .Sails retro fit easily by sewing on the slides too.
    Engineering quality is right up there.

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    You can get reefrite?
    It's been great for us, I like the download and slides because you can set up exactly as if you're hanking on, then hoist when you want to sail, then furl up .Sails retro fit easily by sewing on the slides too.
    Engineering quality is right up there.
    I dropped them a line. They don’t have a representative here, but can ship. I am a bit hesitant because, whilst I like the way their system seems to be set up, they said that I am at the top of the size range for their system, which is never good imho. That and the fact that Harken are very well established here and I am not at the top of the size range for their size 3 unit inclines me towards Harken.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

I may be developing a case of "His eyes are bigger than his stomach", as we say of a toddler who asks for more food than he can eat.

I know I can easily single hand a 20,000lbs gaff cutter* of 37ft LOA and 650 sq ft, and a 38ft masthead bermuda sloop** of 16,000lbs and 586 sq ft .

Now, If I try this on a Bermuda cutter*** of 55ft and 38,000 lbs with 1,100 sq ft , will I come unstuck?

* Wood, long keel, useless engine, good manual windlass, roller reefing mainsail.

** GRP composite, moderate fin and skeg, 30hp, manual windlass, slab reef main, roller headsail

*** GRP, moderate fin and skeg, 45hp, slab reef main, hanked headsails, no windlass at the moment (but would plan on electric)

Interestingly, my no.2 son's Squib keelboat, an absolute joy to sail, feels a bit "small and tippy" when I venture onto her foredeck.
    I think that the several comments re close in manoeuvring are right on, I'm a few years older than you and would be happy to sail your proposed boat singlehanded, but I'd prefer to have a fair bit of space around me so I'd have time to handle sails and gear.

John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

Certainly theres a point beyond which its not about muscle. Its about the right gear and setup, and planning. Where you might sail a smaller boat right up to her slip and then carry her way right in, on a bigger boat you will tend to drop her sails and tidy up before you enter the harbour, and then motor in. You might drop a whole sail rather than reef, or youll have a well set up reefing system, with self tailing winches to handle the lines.

I dropped them a line. They don’t have a representative here, but can ship. I am a bit hesitant because, whilst I like the way their system seems to be set up, they said that I am at the top of the size range for their system, which is never good imho. That and the fact that Harken are very well established here and I am not at the top of the size range for their size 3 unit inclines me towards Harken.
    Probably best to go for one that can be serviced locally.