Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 234 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the upper size limit for singlehanding, for someone in his sixties?

Default Re: What is the upper size limit for singlehanding, for someone in his sixties?

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Craig-Bennett View Post
    k

This is what I have now:

A composite Ohlson38

http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=1817

She probably has the same internal volume as your putative modern 32 footer; she has a 30hp engine and yes she does have a windlass.

I have found that I do like this sort of hull form, which the big Nicholsons also have.
    You have this already figured out. That is a nice boat.

I'll accept a invitation anytime to sail a segment with you and yours. I am a fair cook and generally clean. I change my shirts nearly everyday. Tell me when you want to do a med cruise, need a second hand or a watchman when you have to leave. It will be in good order when you come back.
    Be wary of your critics, at peace with your decisions, and work hard to be a better man.

Default Re: What is the upper size limit for singlehanding, for someone in his sixties?

I got the 33' SEA HARMONY, Albert Strange counter stern gaff topsail yawl when I was 54 and have sailed her into my 70s, still easy to single hand. Passages have mostly been with larger crew for relief, but with shorter hops between anchorages going alone is no problem. Strange is of course renowned for his one and two person cruising designs, with the low 30's being about the limit for his short handed designs. SHEILA II, almost 32', made her passages from England to New Zealand single handed in the late 1940s.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Hoppe View Post
    Anyone who owns a boat could be labeled a fool. A wooden one a laughing stock.

If one posts asking about the limits of the largest vessel to single hand... then they have no idea their own limitation and moreover suggests they are of limited experience.

You don't know ACB. You are embarrassing yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post

It’s very kind of you to say that, Phil.

Actually I’d like to thank everyone who has contributed to this thread, but especially those, such as you, with a lot of experience of sailing big boats short handed.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

JB, I suppose I meant that comment in reference to the the sheer size and age of that old racer. It does not look easy in any respect, no walk through, no nice interior, small cockpit, big loads, lots of gear to look after, thrashed, heavy running costs for not much in return. 55 feet is also getting to the point where the loads can hurt you very badly, and compound errors become unrecoverable very quickly. Its just the wrong boat to consider for shorthanding and the price tells us all we need to know about it with regards to living with it. Even converting it to a more friendly cruiser is going to cost vast sums of money that would be better spent on something else more suitable.
    whatever rocks your boat

Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    How long can an old guy stay awake?
    I didn't see any responses to your question. I don't think boat size matter much, but it sure has implications depending on where a person sails and safety aboard.

A generally great read that also has some relation to the topic at hand.

Down Channel and Orion (or How I Came to Sail Alone in a 19-Ton Yacht)
    by R.T. McMullen

Amazon for purchase:
    https://www.amazon.com/Channel-Orion.../dp/178282278X

Google for reading or download:
    https://books.google.com/books?id=mq...page&q&f=false

McMullen Related WBF thread -> Excerpts from R.T.McMullen “DOWN CHANNEL”
    http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...OWN-CHANNEL%94

Last edited by George Ray; 07-14-2018 at 06:12 AM.
    This is the first lesson ye should learn: There is so much good in the worst of us, and so much bad in the best of us, it doesn't behoove any of us to speak evil of the rest of us.
    E. Cayce

Very much so. McMullen was a small man even by Victorian standards.

I think we might also think of him as the man who started the sport of amateur sailing for fun rather than for racing.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Single handed sailing is one thing, but it would be the single handed maintenance and associated costs that would make me think twice. I'd rather be sailing a small boat than hanging around a boat yard painting a big boat.

A friend could single hand his Lowestoft trawler, but usually had a gang of young ladies inboard to help him out. It was the upkeep at the end of the day that got too much. A 70ft boat with that bottom is a lot of work and expense in paint. I think his current ride is a 24ft Tosher/Falmouth work boat.

Quote Originally Posted by gilberj View Post
    Ian brings a lot to this subject. He has been close to that edge for many years, and does not seem to be backing down. Having done the bigger boat thing 40'+ I have gone smaller, with no regrets...I'll admit I do sometimes see a big boat that inspires me. Ian's Meg ' being one.
    I'll totally agree with Ian regarding fully battened sails....main and mizzen. The battens do a wonderful job of taming those unruly moments. They also allow for a lower centre of effort and more efficiency near the masthead...
    I am not as convinced as Ian of the benefits of no winches.
    I could get away without winches (I have two small sheet winches), with my little sails. I can nearly always whip the jib in and secure the sheet on a tack. Timing is the thing. With a purchase on the jib sheet you really get less mechanical advantage than even a small winch, and you have to pull in twice the length of rope before the wind fills the sail. Self tending jibs/staysails are really nice and for a cruising boat a real boon. You loose a little sailing efficiency without some overlap, but the sail is almost hoisted and forgotten. The other downside is the presence of the boom on the foredeck, just waiting to trip you when your not paying attention. In reality you quickly get used to it and I never ever remember anyone tripping over ours on Windrush or on Tramp. The only reason I do not have a self tending jib for Whimbrel is that I have two good working jibs and a genoa, so spending the money on another new jib just does not make it up to the top of the list.
    I'll support the no halyard winches because the halyards can be easily powered up using purchases. I like Herreshoffs Open Snatch Blocks but I have gone with a single halyard with a purchase for my short gaffs.
    I am open to being convinced on no winches.
    Up to the about the size of the 'Meg' I'd seriously look for a good hand windlass. I know nearly all boats these days have a powered windlass, and they are reliable, and as I said earlier I have had a couple of anxious moments on larger boats hauling in by hand. I like the hand solutions. I currently have ~40' of chain and then rope. I like this combination because I can hand over hand to haul in short and just use the windlass for breaking out and bringing the hook home. In a crowded harbor on a blustery day, this still may be done in stages. I'd still use this technique on something the size of Meg'
    I do not have an auto-helm or vane steering, though I think being able to sail hands free is vital for a single hander You need to be able to take a pee, make a sandwich, or check the chart. Fortunately Whimbrel easily trims to sail hands free on any point of sail, losing little or no real efficiency. I have never sailed any boat before that was as reliable and comprehensive in this quality. I have sailed a 60+ nm passage which included both windward elements and reaching without actually touching the helm, just the sheets. I suspect Ian's Meg' may do this as well.
    When reefing I simply slack the sheet of the selected sail, readjust the helm to keep sailing, tuck in the reef..slack halyard enough......tack...clew...points...re-hoist....sheet in...readjust helm. I actually loose little speed, never stop sailing. It all takes about 1 minute. What is this powering up into the wind stuff? You need to work on that. On sloops and cutters I have sometimes tacked and hove-to to reef, but normally just put the helm a-lee and slacked the main. That should unload it enough to make it easy. Reefing on a really small boat can be more challenging than a somewhat larger boat. Working area is a factor Is there a lot of stuff to potentially trip over?
    Whatever the set-up I think there is something to be gained in regularly moving around the deck and maintaining skills....reefing or striking sails should not be scary. If it is you have maybe left it too long, or maybe your set-up need attention. It should be as easy and natural as possible.....To "Hand Reef and Steer"
    I was surprised to see one of my photos posted by another member of our forum! How is that done? I would, at least, always give photo credit to the person I stole it from!
    Jay

Very sorry Jay. It is of course yours.
    Simply copy and paste. I have long admired these blocks of yours and remembered the threads you have referred to them.
    Again, sorry if I have presumed too much in borrowing your photos to make a point.

Oh come now. If pictures are posted on a public forum without protection who owns them? Everything can be reproduced.

Last night we met up with some sailing friends, one turns out to have been an instructor with the same organisation but on smaller boats. I mentioned the Nicholson and she lit up, expressing regret she'd missed out on sailing on one. Her ex husband had made a lot of trips and miles on one. Very highly regarded and as she points out , very highly maintained with little regard to expense by skilled people with time and resources available.
    But we still know it's a very big deal for shorthanded, despite my earlier comments about how boat size has grown in the cruising fleet, you have the right boat sitting there waiting haven't you , Andrew.

I often see this boat, which like her sisters in the Cirdan Trust fleet is wooden:

https://cirdantrust.org/faramir/

Her professional crew seems to be three young women none of whom could possibly be described as “beefy”, and because by definition they take young people with no knowledge at all to sea they must be able to handle her under any conditions as of course they actually do.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    Last night we met up with some sailing friends, one turns out to have been an instructor with the same organisation but on smaller boats. I mentioned the Nicholson and she lit up, expressing regret she'd missed out on sailing on one. Her ex husband had made a lot of trips and miles on one. Very highly regarded and as she points out , very highly maintained with little regard to expense by skilled people with time and resources available.
    But we still know it's a very big deal for shorthanded, despite my earlier comments about how boat size has grown in the cruising fleet, you have the right boat sitting there waiting haven't you , Andrew.
    I certainly thought so, John. I am just having a rethink, partly down to these magnificent beasts coming on the market and partly down to wanting to do some expedition type stuff from time to time.

Incidentally, the accommodation is just the way I like it, with the solitary exception of the Eberspacher. I don’t like those.
    Last edited by Andrew Craig-Bennett; 07-14-2018 at 08:15 PM.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Craig-Bennett View Post
    I certainly thought so, John. I am just having a rethink, partly down to these magnificent beasts coming on the market and partly down to wanting to do some expedition type stuff from time to time.

Incidentally, the accommodation is just the way I like it, with the solitary exception of the Eberspacher. I donít like those.
    Ultimately if you can handle the negative assault on the big red beast and decide to go for it then lets consider the positives

Its spartan interior is functional, it will have been maintained although the advert mentions osmosis. That btw is not a big deal, but can you find a cheap place to haul it for a few months to dry it out doing the pop n rinse method on the blisters. Even though its 55, one man can antifoul it with help from student sanding labour and an airless sprayer. The big things should be ok in the short term and for cruising the sails will probably be adequate. I guess it all depends on the budget. Whichever way you go I cant see you not spending a lot of either time or money getting it sorted, not impossible and I can see why you would be interested. A quick google search coughs up some nice examples in the 150-200k range, heres an advert claiming easy singlehanding so I am obviously wrong yet again! https://www.raiatea-yacht.com/index....lson55&lang=en
    whatever rocks your boat

Phil - there was a big thread drift before you posted. You like me have been quite cheeky of late and are known to be quite cavalier about posting here. We both come from with years of personal experience and knowledge. I for one at 55 years old am that not good at single handing for more than a long afternoon and prefer to have company when I spend longer than 12 hours on a boat from point to point sailing. I believe we are the same age as well so we are guessing what one would be capable of doing based on our own physical fitness level and skill. I would love to hear about your single handed experiences so far and lately as you have aged. Of course I knew Andrew is a capable commercial mariner but then this comment wasn't about him per se. This is an open forum which is subject to gross interpretation by many experienced and novices alike. There are plenty of yahoos without too much skill or knowledge out there who buy large sailboats and end up hurt, dead and lost. It happens more than anyone would like to admit. Both you and I know many 60+ year olds who are not capable to manage a large boat singlehanded safely but endeavor to do so. That many do have physical limitations, mobility problems, other health issues and consistently prove they lack skills and/or are ill prepared. My guess would be for every 1 quality single hander over 60 there are 5 that are not. Lots of knuckleheads will do a weekend keelboat course and think they are ready which they are clearly not. Moreover this thread had nothing to do with the subject of cruising but the core issue of single handing comfortably the large sailing vessels until it had changed.

More to the point: Andrew although maybe be a fine merchant mariner i don't recall reading he ever cruised any significant distances while single handing otherwise he would have said so in the OP. He did defer to you who has much by never referenced it himself until much later.

My posts which you rejected as embarrassing:

Really now?

There is no talk about sailing when conditions turn. A man in his mid sixties should be in a safe boat. I read more times than not about men who go out sailing in their boats being rescued or lost because their boats has complicated reefing points, multiple sails which were too hard to change or drop, a stuck rollerfurler, going forward on the bow to do work and so on which drives them into carelessness, distraction, overwhelms them physically or breaks do to complications of the complications. I need not reminds anyone here that most of these rescued or found dead are older men above the age of 60.

That Albert Strange above is a very beautiful boat for sure. As a single hander, not ideal. Yeah - one can sail nearly anything single handedly when conditions are good.

The questions was:

What is the upper size limit for singlehanding, for someone in his sixties?

Very few people even answered it. The answer is one that is seaworthy (not a project), not complicated, can fend off when needing too, can climb on and off dock with ease, has few sails, strings and blocks as possible, has a great auxiliary power and a place to nap when old men get tired or worn out.
    The more cavalier one which i corrected from the original post:

Anyone who owns a boat could be labeled a fool. A wooden one a laughing stock.

If one posts asking about the limits of the largest vessel to single hand... then they may have no idea their own limitation and moreover suggests they are of limited experience.
    Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 07-15-2018 at 01:14 AM. Reason: grammer
    Be wary of your critics, at peace with your decisions, and work hard to be a better man.

The ability of each person over 60....or any other age actually varies. what you are suggesting is that because, we are over 60 we should give up our dreams. Sorry it does not happen like that...we do not all retire to a lawn chair and bridge parties. We do not need to be coddled or have someone with more wits ( less than 60) we are also capable of being fools, as you have correctly pointed out. there are always folks that think they can do their thing, whatever that is, with no preparation and learning of skills....kind of like doing brain surgery after watching a few youtube vids.
    If I suspected someone here or elsewhere was planning to embark on a project that I believe they are not sufficiently knowledgeable, or skilled i'd council caution....strongly. in the end though they...we assume are big boy or girls and they are responsible for their choices, and they don't need big brother John to tell them they cannot.
    This has been a very interesting discussion. While I prefer somewhat smaller, others like larger, certainly my maximum is larger than my choice. of course we have not settled on a maximum, size because there are so many other factors. The voyage....marine adventure. the capability of the crew, I know or at least a couple of sailors doing deep sea passages in their 80's sometimes single handed, in boats between 40 and 50 feet.then there is the boat.....
    I think you have some valid points, but you paint with too broad a brush.
    Last edited by gilberj; 07-15-2018 at 02:31 AM.

Phil - there was a big thread drift before you posted. You like me have been quite cheeky of late and are known to be quite cavalier about posting here. We both come from with years of personal experience and knowledge. I for one at 55 years old am that not good at single handing for more than a long afternoon and prefer to have company when I spend longer than 12 hours on a boat from point to point sailing. I believe we are the same age as well so we are guessing what one would be capable of doing based on our own physical fitness level and skill. I would love to hear about your single handed experiences so far and lately as you have aged. Of course I knew Andrew is a capable commercial mariner but then this comment wasn't about him per se. This is an open forum which is subject to gross interpretation by many experienced and novices alike. There are plenty of yahoos without too much skill or knowledge out there who buy large sailboats and end up hurt, dead and lost. It happens more than anyone would like to admit. Both you and I know many 60+ year olds who are not capable to manage a large boat singlehanded safely but endeavor to do so. That many do have physical limitations, mobility problems, other health issues and consistently prove they lack skills and/or are ill prepared. My guess would be for every 1 quality single hander over 60 there are 5 that are not. Lots of knuckleheads will do a weekend keelboat course and think they are ready which they are clearly not. Moreover this thread had nothing to do with the subject of cruising but the core issue of single handing comfortably the large sailing vessels until it had changed.

More to the point: Andrew although maybe be a fine merchant mariner i don't recall reading he ever cruised any significant distances while single handing otherwise he would have said so in the OP. He did defer to you who has much by never referenced it himself until much later.

My posts which you rejected as embarrassing:

The more cavalier one which i corrected from the original post:
    I should have made myself clearer; I was not considering single handed transoceanic passages. My concerns relate to single handing over shorter distances to get yourself out of a hole.

RT McMullen’s singlehanding his ORION from Cherbourg to Dover after firing his crew is exactly what I have in mind.

I used to singlehand this old girl round the coast a lot. She displaced 20,000lbs and has 470 sq ft in the mainsail, but it’s important to remember that displacement multiplies the loads implied by sail area.

Last edited by Andrew Craig-Bennett; 07-15-2018 at 02:59 AM.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

The ability of each person over 60....or any other age actually varies. what you are suggesting is that because, we are over 60 we should give up our dreams. Sorry it does not happen like that...we do not all retire to a lawn chair and bridge parties. We do not need to be coddled or have someone with more wits ( less than 60) we are also capable of being fools, as you have correctly pointed out. there are always folks that think they can do their thing, whatever that is, with no preparation and learning of skills....kind of like doing brain surgery after watching a few youtube vids.
    If I suspected someone here or elsewhere was planning to embark on a project that I believe they are not sufficiently knowledgeable, or skilled i'd council caution....strongly. in the end though they...we assume are big boy or girls and they are responsible for their choices, and they don't need big brother John to tell them they cannot.
    This has been a very interesting discussion. While I prefer somewhat smaller, others like larger, certainly my maximum is larger than my choice. of course we have not settled on a maximum, size because there are so many other factors. The voyage....marine adventure. the capability of the crew, I know or at least a couple of sailors doing deep sea passages in their 80's sometimes single handed, in boats between 40 and 50 feet.then there is the boat.....
    I think you have some valid points, but you paint with too broad a brush.
    Most of the best sailors I know are over 60. They make the activity look easy and artful. If anyone thought I had made the outrageous claim that people in middle age and later were not capable - that is farthest from my intent. I respect everyone ability and really want them to get a chance to sail, and to single hand sail a boat even more so. There is nothing like having quiet moments on a boat with lines you have released your self, to push off and go sail with only yourself as company. Age often is not a factor when those carefree hours or days that are like that. We all sometimes have to single hand because of crew issues, timing or just getting out of a hole. With big vessels we need to take more care for our own safety, the safety of our vessel and the others around us.

Last year while single handed sailing my boat home in a challenging conditions (returning back after dropping friends off 10miles from my marina) - I experienced a series of compounding unfortunate events which nearly took my life, did knock me out cold for several minutes and damaged my boat in a very busy navagation channel. I am and was in great shape, was running or biking miles every day and was clear headed and sober at the time. Since then I have re-evaluated my own boats size when solo sailing, personal limitations and yes some trepidations regarding our much loved recreation. Like you said, we are all big boys and girls and we make our own choices. Sometimes it is good to look at our mistakes in consideration as well as our wonderful possibilities to make the wisest choices to keep us safe, active and adventurous.
    Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 07-15-2018 at 03:36 AM.

Not being interested in upper size limits questions I've lurked but not posted here, but maybe I could add something anyway. I've recently (12 months hence) made a 1600 nautical mile solo coastal delivery of a 3.5 tonne 28 footer, old but originally a very well found vessel. The voyage was made through all of the southern hemisphere winter months plus a few weeks. The boat is a 'frozen snot' hull and decks with teak on ply decks, teak trims and interior fitout.

That size sailing vessel fit me very well. At times when the sea was up or there was a tough bar to cross I would have been more comfortable on a 35+ footer. When anchoring and docking and manouevering around an anchorage a 23 footer would have been more comfortable. For a person of my physical size - 75 Kg (165 Lb) and 173 Cms (5'8") and at 65 years of age a boat to 30 feet LOA would likely be an optimum fit, provided it was very well prepared and maintained. I agree with posts above that talk about the size of managing and maintaining the boat being of great importance. However that wasn't the question asked.

I guess given the many variables in boat design, rig setup, and most importantly of all in my opinion the mental and physical capabilities of the skipper a boat of just about any size could be managed. In practical terms though I'd be pointing out that you won't be 65 for more than a year and you should be planning around what you could reasonably still be doing in a few years hence as well, hence my very assailable answer is 30 feet LOA.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

The ability of each person over 60....or any other age actually varies.
    Hell yeah. There's a lot of evidence coming in that shows that the ageing process can be slower than most people think, and you can see that in activities like cycling or dinghy sailing.
    Has BigFella and SkyBlue on ignore.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris249 View Post
    Hell yeah. There's a lot of evidence coming in that shows that the ageing process can be slower than most people think, and you can see that in activities like cycling or dinghy sailing.
    My yacht club may be typical: We have three sorts of dinghy sailors:

Children learning in organised groups

People, usually middle aged, who don’t race but who have nice dinghies that they go out for family outings in (we have an immaculate Fairey Falcon and a perfect Salcombe Yawl, both very well sailed).

The serious dinghy racers, almost all over sixty, and sailing single handers. We have a fleet of Solos, and a breeding colony of Finns!

I bought my son’s Squib from an 87 year old club member who was giving up boat ownership to take care of his wife who is becoming frail; he routinely single handed her. Of course, a Squib is a very forgiving little boat, but .. 87! He still crews for friends.
    Last edited by Andrew Craig-Bennett; 07-15-2018 at 08:08 AM.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Quote Originally Posted by Chris249 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    I guess given the many variables in boat design, rig setup, and most importantly of all in my opinion the mental and physical capabilities of the skipper a boat of just about any size could be managed. In practical terms though I'd be pointing out that you won't be 65 for more than a year and you should be planning around what you could reasonably still be doing in a few years hence as well, hence my very assailable answer is 30 feet LOA.
    Quote Originally Posted by MN Dave View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
    I borrowed a library book last year about preparing a boat for the ageing sailor.
    A good companion book would be about preparing the aging sailor for the boat.
    I was not really joking here.
    The ageing process is a huge factor. and the OP's question has to be considered in the context of the individual's biological age as others have said. An interesting finding in the Time article below is:
    And of the factors that influence aging, says Belsky, the vast majority, as much as 80%, aren’t genetic and therefore well within our control.
    http://www.pnas.org/content/112/30/E4104
    http://time.com/3946850/slow-down-aging/
    Management is the art of counting beans. Leadership is the art of making every being count. --Joe Finch

Andrew why don't you like eberspachers?

Andrew why don't you like eberspachers?

Phil - as you will have gathered I go for “big strong and simple” over “light but complicated” every time! An Eberpacher has more moving parts than I like!

My last liveaboard phase gave me a chance to talk to a lot of other liveaboards in the UK, and none of them relied on an Eberspacher. They either used them as an alternative to a solid fuel or oil stove in the Spring and Autumn when it can be a bit chilly but not for long, or they had chucked them out entirely.

I will admit that had I spent as much time getting to understand Eberpachers as I have spent getting to understand solid fuel stoves at sea, I’d probably like them, because we generally do like stuff that we are very familiar with.

We have a very good diesel engine service company here; reconditioning injectors, rebuilding fuel pumps, sorting out valves, rebores, rewinding starters, all grist to the mill... what does the signage on their van say? “Eberspacher Repairs and Service”! I rest my case!
    Last edited by Andrew Craig-Bennett; 07-16-2018 at 05:27 PM.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Another issues for consideration for single handed vessels may be freeboard. The more windage, the more freeboard comes into play. One should note how high the free boards have gotten on most modern cavernous cruisers now. It will work against a single handed sailor at anchor. But the harsh reality is what would be considered routine like getting on and off a boat from the dock can become an issue: as experts will tell you jumping up or down from boat to dock or vice versa are where slips and falls are highly likely. Even more so when visiting dock and harbors that don’t have a dock ladder that matches ones boat deck height. often the number one cause of boating and marina related deaths.
    Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 07-15-2018 at 05:46 PM.

The reality for us is we sail 2 handed 99 % of the time and what that means is I tend to operate the boat , mainly because Kirsty lets me. I can't even remember when this was , when I actually took off for a few days or a week by myself.

Aside from a couple of quite fraught overnighters last year when we both stayed on watch through the night or nearly all the night, you get to single hand on watch eh. I got told off for setting and dousing the mizzen staysail at sea at 2 o dark last year...
    Its a glorious feeling setting 1500 ft and doing hull speed in not much wind though, you see what the attraction is.

Just looking again at that boat Andrew, I suspect it's relatively unsuitable for singlehanding. Pretty much designed to keep s large crew busy. As John has noted, the weight of those sails will be a real problem on deck and through hatches. We looked at a concrete boat similar size and rig. We passed just because everything was so big and heavy and highly stressed. A world apart from our steel cruising boat. Our current boat will be easy to handle once we sort a few details. We have favoured big boats mainly because we have 4 kids. With just 2 of us or singlehanding I doubt I'd go beyond 40 feet.

I have carefully read through this thread and seen sense. I will not go ahead with the boat.

Thanks, everyone.
    Last edited by Andrew Craig-Bennett; 07-16-2018 at 03:24 PM.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

So now we get to spend $25K of your money on your boat?

well..... lecomble and schmidt for the electric hydraulic auto pilot drive.... NKE AP? B and G nav package but an Ipad for google earth plus a a laptop with open cpn.
    water maker , hmmm well we did and don't regret it, but they're temperamental little barstewards..

Congratulations Andrew, it's been fun and interesting. Your current boat looks as if it could handle the mission, crew of 3 or 4 and perhaps occasional single handed bits. I am glad you posed the question.

Iridium go,
    vesper AIS,
    yanmar 50? ok ok 40 then.

Sorry, John; I don’t like gadgets!

I have a sextant and a watch and a couple of GPS receivers and some spare fish for the Walker log. A Taylor’s stove and hand pumps. Simpson Lawrence 555 does the anchor chain (90 metres of 40 grade 8mm with - you guessed it - a 45 lbs CQR on the end).

My spending plans are a Hydrovane... the weak point of the Ohlson is the rudder - and cutter rig and a rigid boom gallows ahead of the cockpit. And the very best headsail roller money can buy!
    Last edited by Andrew Craig-Bennett; 07-16-2018 at 05:41 PM.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT