Thread: A Massive, Black Sarcophagus Has Been Found in Egypt, And Nobody Knows Who's In It

Default A Massive, Black Sarcophagus Has Been Found in Egypt, And Nobody Knows Who's In It

Archaeological digs around ancient Egyptian sites still have plenty of secrets to give up yet – like the huge, black granite sarcophagus just discovered at an excavation in the city of Alexandria, on the northern coast of Egypt.

What really stands out about the solemn-looking coffin is its size. At 185 cm (72.8 inches) tall, 265 cm (104.3 inches) long, and 165 cm (65 inches) wide, it's the biggest ever found in Alexandria.

Oh, and then there's the large alabaster head discovered in the same underground tomb. Experts are assuming it represents whoever is buried in the sarcophagus, though that's yet to be confirmed.

It's a fascinating find for archaeologists. Ayman Ashmawy from the Egypt Ministry of Antiquities says the layer of mortar still intact between the lid and the body of the coffin indicates it hasn't been opened since it was sealed more than 2,000 years ago.

That's particularly rare for a site like this – ancient Egyptian tombs have often been plundered and damaged over the centuries, which means archaeologists rarely find a final resting place that's still intact like this one appears to be.

The site as a whole dates back to the Ptolemaic period between 305 BCE and 30 BCE, with this particular find uncovered five metres (16.4 feet) below the ground.

Originally found while clearing the site for a new building, the tomb is now under guard while experts can work out what exactly lies inside the black sarcophagus. It could almost be the start of a new Indiana Jones film.

A Massive, Black Sarcophagus Has Been Unearthed in Egypt, And Nobody Knows Who's Inside (LINK)
    #include [ std-disclaimer ]

Hope the voyage is a long one.
    May there be many a summer morning when,
    with what pleasure, what joy,
    you come into harbors seen for the first time...

Ithaka, by Cavafy
    (Keeley - Sherrard translation)

Default Re: A Massive, Black Sarcophagus Has Been Found in Egypt, And Nobody Knows Who's In I

Mmmm, probably Nyarlathotep, best not to open it.
    It’s really hard to define ‘virtue signalling’, as I was saying the other day to some of my Muslim friends over a fair-trade coffee in our local feminist bookshop. (Lucy Porter 2018)

Default Re: A Massive, Black Sarcophagus Has Been Found in Egypt, And Nobody Knows Who's In I

I am embarrassed. I had to go to Wiki to find out who Nyarlathotep is, isla. I have read pretty much all Lovecraft that I have been able to lay my hands on, but had forgotten that character. I fear that I am doomed to the creeping blackness that is Alzheimer's...
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by isla View Post
    Mmmm, probably Nyarlathotep, best not to open it.
    Rattling the teacups.

Quote Originally Posted by mmd View Post
    I am embarrassed. I had to go to Wiki to find out who Nyarlathotep is, isla. I have read pretty much all Lovecraft that I have been able to lay my hands on, but had forgotten that character. I fear that I am doomed to the creeping blackness that is Alzheimer's...
    Also known as 'The Crawling Chaos'
    I'm a great fan of Lovecraft, as is my wife. It's not unusual to hear us telling people that we live in Kadath in the cold waste, and what man knows Kadath? etc..
    Last edited by isla; 07-11-2018 at 11:42 AM. Reason: typo
    It’s really hard to define ‘virtue signalling’, as I was saying the other day to some of my Muslim friends over a fair-trade coffee in our local feminist bookshop. (Lucy Porter 2018)

I'm a great fan of Lovecraft, as is my wife. It's not unusual to hear us telling people that we line in Kadath in the cold waste, and what man knows Kadath? etc..
    Given the current state of affairs, I’m thinking someone has already opened that sarcophagus.

Just sayin’.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

Yessssss....
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

Another bad movie.

Jimmy Hoffa?

Quote Originally Posted by David W Pratt View Post
    Jimmy Hoffa?
    OK.

I literally laughed out loud!
    Rattling the teacups.

I'm a great fan of Lovecraft, as is my wife. It's not unusual to hear us telling people that we live in Kadath in the cold waste, and what man knows Kadath? etc..
    Need a special gift for that special someone?

Startling Images from the Imagination of H.P. Lovecraft

Bring horror's most infamous monster to life alongside a host of other Lovecraftian terrors in this creepy coloring book! Features more than 60 characters--vile monsters, terrifying deities, unspeakable demons and inconceivable aliens--each inspired by the author's most chilling tales. Import.

Format: Paperbound
    Publisher: Arcturus
    Size: 8¾x11 inches
    ISBN: 9781784283247
    Item #: 5837855

Your Price
    $6.95

THE CTHULHU COLORING BOOK (LINK)

Plunge into the terrifying world of Lovecraftian horror with this creative mix of puzzles, dot-to-dot drawings, and fabulous illustrations to color in. Solutions provided. Import.

Format: Paperbound
    Pages: 128
    Publisher: Arcturus
    Size: 8¾x11 inches
    ISBN: 9781784286057
    Item #: 6621821

Price cut to
    $4.95
    THE H.P. LOVECRAFT COLORING, DOT-TO-DOT, & ACTIVITY BOOK (LINK)

Ithaka, by Cavafy

^ Oh Lord, it's sacrilege. Never mind, how about this?

Do you know User Friendly? Cthulhu was a recurring character for a while.

Ithaka, by Cavafy

+2hulls

schrõdingers catamaran
    'C'est la vie' say the old folks it goes to show you never can tell

Akhenaten...

did they ever find that dude...

Alexander? He disappeared from Alexandria some time around then...

It's me. Fortunately, the WiFi of the Gods isn't bad.

gooey

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-44893804

Could it contain the remains of ancient Greek leader Alexander the Great, or (less appealingly) a deadly curse?
    According to experts who have now unsealed it, it's a no to both.
    Instead, it revealed three skeletons and red-brown sewage water, which gave off an unbearable stench.
    Egypt's Ministry of Antiquities had appointed a committee of archaeologists to open the relic, which was unearthed at a construction site.
    According to Egyptian news outlet El-Watan, they initially lifted the lid of the tomb by just 5cm (2 inches) before the pungent odour forced them from the inspection scene entirely. They later prised it open with help from Egyptian military engineers.
    "We found the bones of three people, in what looks like a family burial... Unfortunately the mummies inside were not in the best condition and only the bones remain," said Mostafa Waziri, secretary-general of the Supreme Council of Antiquities.

I am grateful that the Internet transmits only words, sounds, and images, and not odors...

Quote Originally Posted by mmd View Post
    I am grateful that the Internet transmits only words, sounds, and images, and not odors...
    Everything in time...

Quote Originally Posted by CWSmith View Post
    Everything in time...
    Pless Bilge "Freshener". now in Smell-O-Vision™!

What are you doing about it?

NO-O-O-O-O!!